1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Spot on Margon, I just don't want to damage the frame in the process, for an 11 year old bike she's still got a few more years in her! I wonder if Bindi's banhammer is available?

2. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Do you have a strong vice available B1GBUD? If you do, after soaking the seatpost/seattube in whatever you decide, clamp the seatpost as tight as you can in the vice then use the frame as leverage to twist and pull.

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I don't have a vice personally (well, not that sort :naughty:) but we have a maintenance workshop at work I can make use of.

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

[​IMG]

Fun night for me tonight :D

5. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

you just bought that ?

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Sep 2013
  6. Margo Baggins

I bought it 2 weeks ago! just took a while for the guy to send it to me :)

EDIT: Morgan - I edited your post to remove the quote for the post I deleted previous to yours - as it was spam.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2013
  7. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

A friend of mine snapped his Reign in two at Bike Park Wales last weekend.

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

What exactly did he do to make it snap?

9. Margo Baggins

Hmm the frame is not in exactly the great condition the guy said it was. There is a bit of play in the back end, so I have ordered some new bearings. More annoyingly the top bolt holding in the shock is completely rounded - so I guess I need to buy some stud extractors to try and get that out, I have a seals kit I wanted to give it a quick service as I have no idea when they last had it serviced. Once I service the shock and get the bearings changed I think I will be happy with it.

Anyone have any experience with taking out a stripped bolt holding in a shock? Do you think stud extractors is the way to go?

10. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

If it's not too rounded off you could try banging in a piece of rubberband with your hex bit/key into the stud and seeing if it manages to grip enough to turn it.

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Can we have a pic of the bolt? Is it a socket-cap or an outside hex?

In my experience stud extractors are a last-resort, you're usually best off carefully drilling out instead. (i.e. starting with a carefully centred hole, then working up in size until about 0.5mm below the bolt diameter, then it'll just crumble out with the poke of a screwdriver).

If it's an external hex I'd try a set of these (magnificent things btw). If it's a socket cap then your best bet is probably to hammer a slightly over-sized hex key into the rounded socket, worst-case you'd need someone to pop a smidge of weld to attach key to bolt, the heat would also help get the bolt going again.

12. Margo Baggins

It's a socket cap - but the cap sits in a recess. is a 5mm hex head (think it's 5, most things on my bike are 5) I will get a picture later.

Have see these which seem to have alright reviews

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-Tools-28997-Damaged-Remover/dp/B0017W5GOA/ref=pd_cp_diy_3

anyone used those before?

I don't think I will be able to hammer in a bigger hex key, I could probs hammer in a torx bit thats a bit bigger. I have never drilled anything out before so I am trying to avoid that, but I do have some nice cobalt bits at home and some high speed steel bits to start the holes off.

13. Krikkit

A Torx isn't a bad option, provided they're fairly strong bits. I would try the Hex + hammer - I have had some of those extractors before and they're not great, but just being firm with a key has worked several times. These hex keys are great as a disposable set, for £9 you've got just about every bit possible to imagine, metric and imperial.

14. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I had the same problem on my old Nicolai, luckily I had a enough play between the spacers and the shock to get a hacksaw in (I didn't have anything else handy) took less than a minute to cut through the bolt.

But I have had success just using a drill bit directly in the head of the same size as the threads, the head just breaks away once you reach the threaded area.

15. Margo Baggins

I have a couple of sets of hex keys I never use, I have my go to set but I do have disposable ones - this will probably be my first line of assualt :) I hadn't considered that - and up until you linked that picture for some reason my head was thinking little hex bits that you would use in a ratchet screwdriver or something, but now I am going to go hammer a no 6 hex key in there when I get home and see what happens!

16. Krikkit

Hex bits are even better if you have some - I've got a semi-ruined set specially for this type of work, they're 10mm shafted (har har) so you can get good leverage with a socket/spanner as well.

17. Margo Baggins

I have literally hundreds of bits, ranging all the way from disposable to nice. So maybe I will use those if you think they are better than keys.

18. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Yeah I'd recommend a hex bit as well. Problem with a key is the rounded bend doesn't really facilitate being hit with a hammer.

19. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Tree stump at 25mph apparently. Walked away uninjured.

20. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Lucky *******. The last time I hit a tree stump I needed new cranks and eight stitches...