1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Groupset, yes full madness, If I upgrade this I'll stick with mechanical mainly owning to cost. New shifters an possibly new brakes and rotors (140mm is a bit rubbish) Plus these are RS505 shifters an brakes so they are alright but the shifter will break eventually.

Yeah I went kind of the other way wheel wise, so my 700's have some G ones on them, of I have a set of Rubino slick's where the 650s are Vittoria Teranno Zeros, so fat 47c slicks.

I stuck with tubes as I am lazy, plus I never had luck with tubeless, ended up stuck middle of no where no signal an a tyre that basically tore itself in half. long old walk home that was! Since then, tubes for me.

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

Aye, I went a bit OTT with the budget for this build, but in my defence I have been very good recently :) I've been saving hard and I don't have any vices other than my bikes (even the PC hasn't been upgraded meaningfully for a few years now). To be honest I think I'd have been absolutely delighted with GRX mechanical or 105 hydro but ended up splurging on Di2. Hard to justify the premium for Di2, so I've just mentally blanked out the extra cost!

I did look at G-Ones (although I can't quite remember which variant) as a tyre option but read some conflicting reports about wear rates - I do take this stuff with a pinch of salt, of course! They do look very nice in terms of rolling and grip, though. I'll see how the Gravelkings fare and take it from there. Another option I considered was 32mm GP 4 Seasons as I run 28s on my hybrid commuter and they've been superb, but having clearance for bigger rubber on this new frame, I thought I'd go a bit bigger :D My main rationale for sticking with tubes was that I know what I'm doing with them, and short of catastrophic tyre damage I know I that I can get home with a change of inner tube. Tubeless seems like one of these ideas that might end up being better in theory than in practice, or alternatively might be a dream when it works but a 'mare when it doesn't.

3. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Well-Known Member

Yes, but their site usually updates a week or two before the UK, maybe more. As far as I'm aware, they aren't that far in the future. :lol:

Is that like a cyclist equivalent of having a lifted truck in the US?

Interested to see your Mason Bokeh, I do like the sound of them. I'm looking for something similar which will accept a dropper as a replacment for my Trek Crockett.

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

Can't you just drill a hole in the Crocket or fit an externally routed dropper?

5. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Well-Known Member

Of course but OCD wont allow me to run a cable where it's not ment to be ran and I couldn't bring myself to drill the frame.

As with most CX bikes it also has a seatpost diameter of 27.2 which limits the dropper choice. Add all that to the fact the Crockett has a rear QR and won't easily fit a 650b wheel means upgrade time to something new.

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I've managed to get a 9 & 10mm through bolt onto a couple of QR only bikes, infact its my plan with my next builts to give me some extra stiffness though the MTB front will have a chonki 15mm Maxle