1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That's awesome. A bike you don't have to hear your hip pop every time you want to get on and off :D You can't beat Canondale for quality.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I find it impossible to be impressed by the rough looking welding on bike frames these days.

I know this is a bit, "in my day things were so much better" but, on my custom frame from this outfit https://argoscycles.com in 1990, the lugless brazing was perfectly even and smooth.

3. Vault-Tec

Yeah it's beautiful. Curtis still do it that way.

https://www.curtisbikes.co.uk/

Though you will pay for the privilege. About a grand a frame, IIRC.

I got the rear brake on. Pad extenders nowhere to be seen mind.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, I changed the chain for a Shimano one too.

4. Vault-Tec

So my quest to get smaller pedals has been difficult. They are all either non existent and need straps, or, large platform pedals like I have now. I did take the Nukeproofs apart, but it seems the axles are not Ti so it resulted in me realising how much crap I would have to go through to change the colour and then giving up.

I would have liked some Hope Jr pedals, but they are £110. I really don't fancy paying that. As it happens Nukeproof also do kids pedals called Urchin.

[​IMG]

£41. At that price I couldn't even be bothered to go through sanding out the horizons. Pedals are a real bugger with tons of facets and the masking would take longer than the £41 was worth.

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

@Vault-Tec, look at the joints on the top of the seat tube and on the head tube in this picture. This is the kind of build quality in my old custom Argos lugless frame. You are right about the cost, over £300 for Reynolds 531ST, in 1989 (not 1990 as I stated earlier). Unfortunately I have don't pictures of mine.
    [​IMG]

6. Vault-Tec

Yeah it's brazed, but they used to then smooth it off. Curtis will still do that, but you pay for it. Cannondale used to do it too. They even made BMX frames like it in the 90s.

[​IMG]

I actually missed that frame set once. It was on Ebay (not red, polished) and went for £110. Was gutted.

BTW that pink? that is the colour my Schwinn BMX was custom painted in the 90s.

In summation? they don't make things like they used to fella. And if you find someone who will? it will cost you both kidneys.

I have a Standard STA. It doesn't look like much.

[​IMG]

Until you find out it was made from Tru Temper Ox Platinum. Which was so difficult to get right they actually stopped doing it.

If I ever trash my frame I will very likely hand a blank cheque to Curtis. It's something I have always wanted to do.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Brian's well into his 70s now, if you want a Curtis frame you'd best get a move one or you'll be buying a Gary instead.

It's a real shame True Temper stopped making bike tubes, nowadays they only make golf clubs. My hardtail (that's buried in this thread somewhere) is Supertherm and it might actually be indestructible.

8. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Bmx reminds me of the good old days of coming home from school and going out in my custom Bob haro and staying out till it was dark, how I miss them days.

Vault-Tec and SuperHans123 like this.
  9. Vault-Tec

I'm 48. I rode BMX like a religion as a kid, but I was a small kid. I picked it up again in the mid 90s when I was 25. God, some of the best days of my life. I now have an expansive collection of 90s bikes. Too many, some could argue. This one here (the orange Morales, made by Bob Morales who used to be a Haro rider)

[​IMG]

The purple one next to it was done for my mate's boy. I like giving bikes away.

1996 2Hip Pork. Company was owned by Ron Wilkerson.

[​IMG]

That one came NOS. So I bought a ton of NOS parts for it.

This is one of my riders. Kink Whip XL, with 1995 Kink Empire decals. Restored this last summer.

[​IMG]

2004 Quad Angle

[​IMG]

2004 Terrible One Barcode

[​IMG]

2007 Terrible One Ruben

[​IMG]

FIT Logic

[​IMG]

2003 2Hip Rootdown

[​IMG]

2002 Specialized Fatboy

[​IMG]

2007 S&M Cam Wood

[​IMG]

2015 GT Speed Series

[​IMG]

2016 Metal Kizz. Only 40 made

[​IMG]

2000 S&M Dirt Bike

[​IMG]

So aye, I got a few lol

10. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

My local Halfords doesn't have that many bikes lol.

11. Vault-Tec

I got a few frames too. I'm at capacity now, which is probably a good thing lol.

My brake extenders came. Still doesn't reach. I know what I need, am trying to find. What a PITA.

12. Vault-Tec

OK. That was a nightmare. Even with the pad extensions on they still didn't reach. Tried a BMX brake (crap one I had) and it was too long. I ended up drilling the top hole lower down. Then I had to open up the back side (and messed it up a bit). Then when it did line up the pad frames were jamming against the frame. So I ground those at an angle with the belt file. They then went into the frame, and I could dial the brake.

[​IMG]

There is a problem though. Whilst it works I am not about to ride it and put any serious pressure on it. This is why.

[​IMG]

The lip of that lug should not be inside the frame. So, I ordered some 8mm washers.

[​IMG]

But of course then that internal nut won't reach /roll eyes. So I bought a 5mm longer Ti one.

[​IMG]

23 I ordered. The brake does now work extremely well.

[​IMG]

But yeah, no likey how that is. Easy fix once the parts come in. The new pedals arrived too. Absolutely perfect.

[​IMG]

SuperHans123 likes this.
  13. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

I would have thrown the bike in the bin and bought something off the shelf by this point :hehe:

14. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Where's the fun in that?
    The fun is in the battle, the research, the mistakes to finally make it out the other side with what you wanted.

15. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

I’m lazy and demand instant gratification.

16. Vault-Tec

The day I ride something off the shelf will be the day I die. Eww, no.

I'd ridden it for 5 years at this point. This is all improvements and upgrades. And sometimes bikes can be a total PITA tbh.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  17. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I've slowly started sanding back a frameset I have, paint is stupidly thick. Only doing it because it had some repair work done an they didn't paint it. Plus the existing paint was bad and damaged.
    Doing the worst of the paint with a random orbit sander then last layer of paint by hand with something very fine. So far working mainly on the rear triangle then forward.

18. Vault-Tec

I have this absolutely evil paint stripper. Like the proper old nitromors. Sadly when I went looking for more for a mate of mine it seems it has been banned completely. I won't lie, it's evil. I once sat the can under me as I sat on the back step and the vapour burnt my nuts. You literally just paint it on and then wire brush off the slop.

As the weather begins to burn I am growing more itchy to get out and ride. The last change I want to make (before buying a rivnut gun and putting proper bottle mounts into the frame for a carbon holder) is the decals. Never liked the white. Thankfully a mate of mine in Liverpool is a SE hoarder, and had a set of 1991 "drippy" decals.

[​IMG]

So that will be the final change.

19. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Yeah can't use anything like that on carbon fibre, it'll go like noodles.

20. Vault-Tec

Ahhh I see. Yeah that would eat the epoxy alright.