1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Member

I hate cycling in summer.

Just went for a quicky up the local hills and had to turn back because I was being literally swarmed with flies. A black cloud of buzzing dementia is not something I like to be riding with. Especially not in hazy, incredibly muggy weather...

2. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Just got myself a bike that works, though nothing compared to what anyone else has in here, some cheep apollo. only thing i need to fix on it, is put some new pedels on as there is not much left of the old :< £5 for the bit to do it? :eek:

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Ok it appears I'm ordering the brake from Chainreactioncycles. Dunno how long it will take, but on a quick glance the prices are half of those in Finland, and the postage is just 6 Euros.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31350 Pretty much like the old one.. Just works better.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10482 Nice bargain, but WHY does it come with a shifter? :D
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33148 I guess this one's my fav.. If only I could have someone's real opinion on that thing.. And also, have I understood correctly that this one comes filled?

Damn I'm Hopeless. I could stretch the budget a lil' further if it's worth it.. Also dunno if the frame can fit 8" discs in the rear, the current is 165 mm.

(on a different note I made some research and found the fork: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/older-categ...zocchi/dirt-jumper-ii/PRD_358242_1486crx.aspx (with 80 mm travel))

EDIT: To my great surprise they actually quickly answered my mail, and I ordered a hydraulic Shitmano. Pre-filled, bled and comes with a rotor. Should be exactly what I want, and also came with a -50% claimed discount. Purrfect.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2009
  5. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

The BB5 is OK, it would have been better than the old one but you made the right choice. Those Hones with the built-in shifters seem like a bargain, but built-in levers are/were a bad idea really, that's why they're so cheap because no one wants them.

The Deores are solid and functional. What more do you need?

6. Jipa

Now I only need to get the packet, get a new chain (installed) and I should be good to go for another couple of years :D I think I MIGHT be able to still have a functional front brake, if I take parts from the rear- and front brakes and get new cable, and modify the lever not to have so huge amount of slack.

7. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Well-Known Member

Well boys (and mabey girls), my Haro Mary XC 29'er arrived yesterday, took it out the box to build with the hope of riding it tonight.

But as you may have seen in my other thread i've snapped my achilles tendon while playing football, so now im in a cast for 3 months and i'f i'm lucky i'll be riding within 6 months.

I'm totally gutted.

Last edited: 9 Jul 2009
  8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

Want me to look after it for you, maybe break it in for when you back on your feet :D

9. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Unlucky, football is pretty brutal on legs.

10. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Quick warning if your after a Trek..(that I knwo of)

Shimano are upper their prices, so the '10 model Treks are on average about 25% more expensive. An '09 6300 was £650, where as the exactly the same, apart from the colourscheme, '10 version was £230 more...

My 1.2 Double is also £100 more, even thought its the same bike, just with a black frame.

11. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Active Member

Yup there will be increases again on a lot of brands, they did a smaller increase this year and the rest will be pilled on for 2010 :(.

There were less bikes made this year as less sales were expected but it's gone the opposite way, Trek Europe\UK have run out of there popular models already :duh:

12. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Everyone is upping their prices - which means you can get DA 7800 fairly cheap.

13. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Well-Known Member

GT and Mongoose BMX's will be an all new model name for 2010 so that customers can't say that's x and was £50 less for the 2009 bike.

Not sure if its true for Mountain bikes though.

14. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Schwinn Cruiser 5

I bought this. Interesting bike. I'll have to restore it a bit or turn it into a lowrider.

[​IMG]

As the title says Schwinn Cruiser 5

john

15. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

hrm, i wasn't much of a fan of the BB5. i had the original avid mechanicals on my bike for 9 yrs until one finally died, the BB5 i bought to replace it lasted less than a season before falling apart, and had pathetic stopping power in comparison. deore hydraulic is a good solid choice, a couple friends have them and are very happy. it's a good compromise of price, durability, and power.

in other news, i finally bought a set of wheels. mavic 819 rims on XTR hubs. i'm pretty excited, i've been riding on bottom-of-the-barrel rims and generic hubs forever, so it should be a pretty big upgrade. it'll be interesting to see how the tubeless works out too. any recommedations for a good tubeless front tire for rooty/rocky singletrack?

16. Jipa

My messed-up sense of aesthetics would tell me to chop off the saddle-post (or what ever the vertical tube is called, I don't know names for bike-parts in English). That might make it too flimsy, though.. Someone could and should build a frame like that from scratch, it would look so wrong :)

17. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

So it'd just be like a giant spring?

18. Jipa

You got that right. Just make the bottom part of the frame very rigid, and make the top part from more flexible stuff. There you have it, a smooothrider ;)

I actually snapped the frame of my mom's bike, so maybe it's a bad idea to cut anything off pre-made frames...

19. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

and you end up looking sort of like this?

[​IMG]

Give a Google to beach cruiser bicycle. They get weirder looking.

A UK design

[​IMG]

from http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/cd/students/degree_shows/2001/bike.html

john

20. Jipa

Kinda, but with the point being no vertical bars at all. Just for the sake of aesthetics... Sure the pipe is there for a reason, and w/o it the frame would flex, but in such use, so what? Like so:

[​IMG]

I just like the open-nes and the fact that I've never seen one like that...