1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Well-Known Member

When we get a sticky mech in the shop we pour boiling water straigh out the kettle over it, then cover it in lube (carful not to get it on any disc brakes) then leave it for a good 10 mins and mabey repeat, usually works on even the most stuck front mech's as for some reason round here people don't use that one.

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Ooh the brake already arrived :eek: Good job, CRC! Now if only the weather didn't totally suck. 10 C + rain + wind isn't exactly my favorite summer weather.

3. Tec_

Tec_ New Member

whats up guys? i was rollerblading around a lake by my house this weekend when i decided that i hate my Rollerblade and that i missed riding a bike. it has been almost 4 to 5 years sense i have had a bike. my last one was so damaged from all the ware and tear that it needed to be replaced and at the time i just didn't have the money.

so later that night i got on cregslist and with in the most recent posts i found a bike being sold for some one around 6foot 2in tall. (that's me)

so i set up a time to meet the guy who was selling it on Monday and i was impresed so i bought it off him and came home with this

[​IMG]

it is a 70's Schwinn continental i took it to a local bike shop and had them give it the once over and they told me that it was in excellent riding condition and it is. the thing rides like a champ and i think im in love with it. this is my first bike of this style and so far i have enjoyed riding it.

i am thinking of converting it to a single gear bike seeing as how i hardly change gear when im riding, and possibly touching up the paint, i do like the yellow

so let me know what you guys think. i don't know much about bikes so any help or tips would be very helpful

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I think I'm in love! Finally installed the brake, removed the front brake and went for a spin. It's so smooth... I'd forgotten how quiet the bike can be :D With the old, twisted rotors now gone, there are no unwanted squeaks any longer.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Righty hoo.... Its time to rip the shoddy plastic pedals off my 1.2 and get some clip-ons and shoes, but I need some advice!

What should I be looking for? I reallly dont want to spend more than £100 on both pedals and shoes, but the slight problem is the shoes and my feet. I'm going to need at least a 13, but most probably a 14.. any advice on brands/models would be very welcome as I'll then go and try them on :thumb:

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Quick and shameless bump as I've got to go out soon!

7. Cookie Monster

Go to a shop mate, nothing worse than ordering them online in a size "huge" only to find they don't fit across your foot. If you like them in the shop then buy online.

Though I think you may struggle to get both for £100 and get something decent.

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I manged to :)

I've got a Set of Shimano one-way clip ons that were reduced from £60 to £30 and a Set of Specialized 2010 £60 Road shoes (dunno the real name) in a 49 so Im quite chipper...

I managed to do the 3 or so miles back from the shop using clip-ons and didn't fall off, so thats a start!

9. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

I HAS A QUESTION.

I tried to adjust my front derailleur/derailer myself as it was playing up, rubbing against the chain. No matter how much I tinker with it, I can't get the chain to stop rubbing when in the middle front sprocket and highest rear gear. Tried playing with trim but that just throws it off somewhere else. It's not a huge rub, more like an intermittent tinkle. I'll be taking it to a bike shop for a free service in a few weeks, but is this something I could fix?

Also, my rear largest sprocket feels 'grainy' when i'm riding on it. Is there a problem there?

10. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I had a similar rubbing issue, it turned out I had bashed the middle derailer and it was very slightly twisted. A quick bend back sorted it. Failing that, if you've set the min and max properly, it could be a sticky cable that isn't letting it move properly between each position.

[​IMG]
    http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/lapierre/big-mountain-bike/2009/FROGGY-518

I want one of those! Anyone want to lend me 3k? :p

Last edited: 25 Jul 2009
  11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Only if you give me £6k :D

12. will.

Deal! :D

My sick wife who lives in South Africa will email you the monies vie wire transfer in the morning! Do you accept paypal? :p

Has anyone here ridden the Spicy? The Froggy has the same suspension setup and I'm interested in it's climbing ability.

I love my technical stuff, up or down as well as the fast and hard freeriding. My current bike, last years enduro is a surprisingly good climber but I'm starting to find it too much of a brute and want something a bit more nimble. Not necessarly lightweight, just more agile and responsive. The triple clamp forks really destroy the enduros turning lock. It's like driving a truck. Pulling stoppies round switchbacks with sheer death on one side is a bit much sometimes!

I think I may try and get a demo Froggy sometime before the summer ends (it gets cold) so that I can make my mind up and start saving for next years trip to the Alps.

13. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Not a huge deal with the front derailleur (is either bent just slightly on the cage, not positioned correctly on the seat-tube, or cable is too tight), and a little bit of rubbing wont hurt anything.

As to the top ring in the back, sounds like your limiter isn't set perfectly, or you don't have the derailleur sitting right (cable is too slack). Third option is that your P-body screw isn't set correctly (top jockey-wheel is too high/low). Though it could just be normal considering that your chain is on quite an angle in that ratio. Does it feel the same when you drop down to first (smallest) in the front?

14. Fod

I'm pretty sure it's smooth as butter on that gear. Anyway, I'm not going to be riding on it while I'm away on holiday and I'll be taking it for the free 6-week service halfords offer afterward, so I'll just get them to check it.

15. Cookie Monster

Don't know if this is the case where you live, it could just be a rumour where I live but i've been told that when people have taken their Halfords bought bikes back for their 6 week service the Bike Hut person has either told them there is a huge wait (weeks in some cases), that they have to book it in for the service (again waiting weeks) or that they don't get a service (which is the opposite of what you were told when you bought the bike).

Just thought i'd mention it, as it might be worth 5 mins of your life next time your passing just to check if you have to book it in.

16. Fod

Yeah I was planning on ringing ahead, it's not exactly next to me.

They sold me the 1-year service plan for £7 when i got the bike as a promotion so even if I don't get the free 6-week service I can get one under that plan regardless.

17. Picarro

Picarro New Member

Got a new bike :D

[​IMG]

Set me back 600 pounds, but it really is a nice colour scheme. And it is quite decent to ride too.. I just miss my Specialized Rockhopper Comp.. :-(

18. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Surely the Froggy is going the opposite way? They're 180mm freeride bikes, I'm fairly sure they're not going to be more nimble than an enduro! That said, they are gorgeous - I want one as well. Or perhaps one of these (in a better colour).

[​IMG]

The Spicy (or even Zesty) would certainly be worth a look if you're after a do-everything bike though - they certainly look nice but that's about as much as I know about them. There are loads of that type of bikes to choose from now though (Trek Remedy, Enduro/Pitch, Commencal Meta, Orange 5 etc) so you've got options.

19. will.

I was looking at the Zesty as well, because like you say, the Froggy is definitely no lightweight coming in at 34lb. That said, simply having standard forks rather than tripple clamp will make it more agile than the Enduro even though I would take a guess at the Enduro weighing a bit less. I'm not a featherweight rider either, I had a go on my Dads new Gary Fisher Roscoe and I felt like I was about to break it!

Anyway, I've started saving money again (back to Morrisons Value branded stuff) so hopefully I'll have the funds I need by next August for whatever bike takes my fancy!

20. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Active Member