1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

At my local proper cycle shop a decent brand bike entry level bike is around the £300-400 mark. I was in the same situation last year, wanted a decent bike but didn't really want to spend more than £200-250. After a chat with one of the very helpful and informed staff I settled for a £400 Mongoose Tyax Super and absolutely love it. The difference between a decent entry level bike and a cheap Halfords/Toy'r'us jobby is night and day, and helped me realise just why the top end bikes are so expensive, I imagine the experience of riding those £3k beasts is amazing.

I think next year i'll step up to next level, something around the £800-£1000 mark, any early suggestions? :D

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

According to my brother (he works in John's Bikes in Bath hence the big discount) they've been checking and the answer has been 3 weeks for the last several weeks :(

I haven't ridden anything at the 3k mark but my brother has 2 bikes worth about 2k each and I've ridden both of them, they're incredibly awesome, and I wasn't even riding them for their intended purpose.

I decided on the Kaitai 'cos it's dual sport, I was gonna get a hybrid but I thought if I ever do decided to do some trails down in the woods I could.

3. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Those would be so funny on a bike, I'm not sure on the size of them i just know there old horse drawn wagon wheels. My house is filled and surrounded by antiques, not my choice.

4. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

We have a saying in the shop when asked what difference spending double the money will make (spec upgrade aside). We tell the customer twice the price, twice the smile!!

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Holeshot now built and got it's first ride today at Chicksands, it's awesome, so much better than the Commencal.

[​IMG]

6. Cookie Monster

Love the Spank rims, I had a pair of the green Spank Subrosa's to go on my STP, the colour matched exactly, i'm still gutted I had to sell it.

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I don't know why, as I can tell it would be an amazing ride, but for me, that frame reminds me of something you'd get on a £100 bike from Halfords, I think its just the red :waah:

8. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

So wheres a good place to buy frames and rims for mountain bikes? For us Americans online that bike looks awesome with the white rims.

9. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

The frame is an old school design with narrow cromo tubing. It has a really nice feel to it, completely different to an aluminium frame. People are getting used to the size of alumnium tubing and thinking bikes have to look like that to be good. I love it and doubt I will ever want to ride anything but a cromo hardtail now.

10. Malvolio

Malvolio .

The saying in my shop:
    * Rule number 1: can't have anything nice!
    * Rule number 2: we will CALL when it is DONE.

[​IMG]
    :D my new flaming piece of crap bike. Haven't put a penny into it, just a couple hours worth of work. I still want to get some purple tires for it, as well as more funkily coloured parts, and a shorter stem, but it's fun for what it is.

Oh, and if you're wondering, thats the view from my bench, towards the "pending" pile of bikes.

11. crazzycat

crazzycat What's a Dremel?

you did it yourself???well done i hope you will find someone to purchase it!

Last edited: 14 Sep 2009
  12. Cookie Monster

Nice workshop mate, mine is probably about 10x12ish foot.

Is it a fixed or will it freewheel and those bars, are they standard or flipped and chopped road bars?

I'll get some pics of my shop when I get back to work in about 2 weeks (i hope).

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Just a headsup for anyone looking for a cheap D-lock, perhaps for securing a quick-release wheel etc. Found this at Halfrauds, Sold Secure Bronze for £10.

Won't stop a properly determined thief, but it will keep a casual pikey at bay.

14. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Right now it's got a freewheel on (7spd, lol), but I will be going to fixed once I decide if I want to buy a new wheelset (anodized purple Halo wheels) or just a new rear hub. And yes, the bars are flipped and chopped.

@crazzycat: why would I sell it? Not worth anything really.

15. Cookie Monster

What a tit, I can see that now. Where is John with his facepalm smilies when you need him?

16. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

This counts as a bike right? An informative guide to British manufacturing to our allies overseas.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Sep 2009
  17. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

[​IMG]

18. Cookie Monster

No it doesn't, there is a motorbike thread someplace. It is informative though, I love the pressure testing.

You saw the bit-signal then? cheers.

19. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

come on, you know you want to buy the purple wheels.

20. Malvolio

Malvolio .

You wouldn't believe how badly I want them! Purple rims with purple tires. It would definitely look sick! And I can get the full set (front and back) for less than $300, but it would kind of destroy the idea behind the bike: it wouldn't be a flaming piece of crap bike anymore! It'd almost be a nice bike... Can't have that.