1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

1. Go to a bike shop and get yourself fitted - otherwise it's your guess.
    2. Any lube - they're all the same (and equally overpriced).
    3. I like Giro.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I have one of these in black from Chain Reaction Cycles and it's pretty good, I haven't tested its impact ability but it's comfortable, light and nt too hot either.

Btw, came across a 10% off code for purchases >£100 if you pay via Paypal at CRC: FCYHGPMQFKLT (credit to hardyp over at BikeRadar for that one). :thumb:

3. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

If I get a BMX style lid there's no way anyone's stopping me from writing "Born to Kill" on the front and having a row of tire levers on the side :p.

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Oh dear I want a full suspension bike. No particular reason, but damn how bad do I just want one right now. I should stop watching those downhill/freeride videos.

5. Krikkit

Get on eBay etc - plenty of bargains to be had now winter's setting in, people wanting rid and getting a new bike for next summer.

6. Krikkit

New bike! Commencal Combi Disc.

[​IMG]

Bit of a poor pic, camera wasn't charged.

Won't set the world alight, but it's not bad spec. It's loads lighter than the Mongoose Tyax I had last year as well, which is a surprise. Picked it up 2nd hand, there wasn't much else for £200-250 new with decent hardware.

Planned upgrades currently rest at new forks sometime soon, apparently the RockShox Dart 2's are a bit pap. Even so they have a lockout which is useful with all the hills 'round here. :)

Last edited: 11 Nov 2009
  7. Malvolio

Malvolio .

The chain didn't fit straight off, no, but rather than modify the frame or axle, I just popped a half-link in there, and it worked out perfectly! Though the chain has stretched rather badly (considering how many different models of KMC chain have been pieced together, I'm not surprised), so there is some slack now which results in a bit under an eighth of a stroke. Bit annoying, but nothing much I can do about it. Bike has received a lot of attention since that picture though, and I will get a new shot of it some time soon...

8. gar

gar Minimodder

Thats still pretty good considering. I have recently taken the half link out of mine, I'll have to remove a link and put it back in now that my chain has started to come off. Serves me right, I'm the only one in the club with vertical droputs on a fixed!

9. Seraphim Works

Seraphim Works What's a Dremel?

I thought I'd add something a little different to the thread.
    Thanks to an amusing carrier bag related incident back in March which led to my bike being written off, I had money from the insurance burning a hole in my pocket, so I bought this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a Raptobike Lowracer and it's been damn good fun so far. Even though I'm pretty out of shape thanks to having to wait three months for it to arrive after I ordered, it's pretty fast.

Downhill is fantastic, cruising at 20mph on the flats is a piece of cake and there's more speed to come as my muscles get stronger again.

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

You need to do something about the length of that steerer, you're likely to brain yourself!

On a side note, I'm picking up my Session 8 this weekend.

11. Krikkit

I've already sorted it out, I hated it that way.

Pics required once you pick up the new ride! :D

12. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Nooo, recumbents are evil on two wheels!. Only joking :).
    I think they're kinda like trikes in the way that the best way to learn to ride them is if you forget how to ride a normal bike, because of the way they handle differently... if you get what I mean.
    Hope you enjoy it, does look like fun (I wouldn't feel confident in traffic though :worried:).

G.I.T. 2nd Krikkit, pics please :D.

I finally went for a proper ride at Swinley Forest a couple of weeks ago (in the week), it was a bad day for it weather wise as it was wet and boggy, but it was a lot of fun :D. The only annoying things was the sand which chewed through a set of rear pads, and I mangaged to rip a pin out of my new Welgo Mag\Ti pedals on a rock on one the the downhill sections :(.

Are you officially an Oxfordian now?

13. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

Looking to get a new bike over Christmas, will be used for quite a variety of things including a fair bit of off road. Going to look at this bike on Saturday, does anyone here have any thoughts/suggestions?

14. Krikkit

I wouldn't bother with that personally. From what I've heard (and only heard, not experienced) the Dart 1 is a bit poop, not to mention that you don't get hydro discs for that money, although there's nothing wrong with decent mechanicals.

I'd have a look at a Scott Aspect 45, Mongoose Tyax Elite, GT Avalanche 3.0, Focus Fatboy (that'd probably be my choice, it looks wicked), or if you can stretch the budget just a little more a Kona Cindercone can be had for just over £500.

15. RTT

RTT #parp

I completely stripped and rebuilt my Meta 551 over the past few weeks as my local riding spot is a bog at the moment. I'd not taken the entire thing apart before and some bits are inaccessible for cleaning unless you take the whole thing apart. I found most of the suspension bearings to be completely shagged; three of the four main pivot bearings were seized solid and the others (in the triangles and wishbones) were full of sand and grit and didn't spin nicely at all.

[​IMG]

I spent a day swearing trying to get new bearings into the main pivot. The other linkages were dead easy by comparison, easily tapped back in with some wood and a rubber mallet. Take it from me though, getting steel bearings into the aluminium housings on the pivot is not easy at all. I ended up making a custom bearing press out of a stud from a car engine (& bolt), two pieces of steel and some custom made washers out of sheet steel to perfectly fit on top of the bearings to push them in. It only took me 20 mins once I'd built it :blush: I definitely won't be replacing bearings again in a hurry though, what a total pain in the ass. The new bearings I packed full of grease, hopefully they'll last better than the factory fitted ones did.

Amazingly my headset is still like new! Maybe it's something to do with a little lizardskin protector i've got wrapped around the bottom. No need to replace that anytime soon :cooldude:

I also treated it to a new Hope Stainless BB as the old RaceFace X-type had suffered the same fate as the swingarm bearings :)

Last edited: 10 Dec 2009
  16. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

Looked at some of those ones you recommended, the focus fatboy seems to have pretty similar components (same dart2 forks etc.).

Kona cindercone would be nice but that's pushing the price a bit too far, and probably will be buying from this shop as it's the local one and it would be good to be able to go there if anything went wrong.

Also from various reviews that I've seen the frame itself is really quite good and the brakes though mechanical are better than a lot of hydraulics.

The bike I've got atm (selling as it's quite old and too small) was a (basic) trek and so how do you think the kona would compare to this ? One reason for looking at the kona was also that it's got £50 off which means that it would normally be at a similar price to this trek.

Thanks for the help

17. Jamie

Shall attempt to get some photos tomorrow. :thumb:

I've done two rides in Swinley since we hit winter and both times the brake pads have been eaten down to nothing. I don't think I'll bother going back there until it dries up a little.

Yes, I've officially moved back to Oxford, so no local riding any more. I think my haunts will now be Redhill Extreme, Aston Hill, Woburn, Chicksands and the odd trip to south Wales. Big alpine DH trip is in the planning stages.

18. Jamie

Here she is...

[​IMG]

Click for more :clap:

19. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Damn thats a sexy looking bike....

I'm looking at either a Focus FIRST 09 or Boardman Pro FS in the new year once I sort my tax return out, but if anyone has any other suggestions for a full susser around the £1200-1500 mark shout up.

20. Darzol

Darzol What's a Dremel?

What sort of riding are you into?

This a cross country, trail, all mountain or downhill style thing?