1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

A bit of everything really. A good friend is a carbon Enduro owner and often drives off with a couple of his mates to the trails so would like to be able to keep up with them on the rocky stuff but i'll also be using it to ride to and from the train station during the week so lockable suspension is plus.

I would go for a cheaper hardtail but next year (after putting it off again this year) i'll be applying for the RAF and theres almost always some good riding locations around RAF bases (being a bit out the way and all). :)

2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Canefield The One

Has anybody got any experience of Canfield bikes, Specifically the 'THE ONE' after selling my lambda frame earlier in the year ive been wanting to replace it with something a little more sensible.
    The only reason canfield came up was i remembered seeing some of their frames a while ago a thought they looked promising, but a little over budget.

They appear to have a little sale on at the moment with the 'THE ONE' at $1200 which is in budget even though ill get hit with shipping and import costs.

I guess the question is mainly aimed at the americans among us as ive never seen a canfield bike in the UK.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's a sexy looking bit of kit there Jamie, how does it ride? Satisfied? :D

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

OMG, pure sex on wheels :)

Just promise to abuse her well! Good going in the pictures, wish we had such terrain/tracks over here...

5. RTT

RTT #parp

Should've bought an Apollo :duh: :rolleyes:

6. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I just stole my mate's Proceed, and had mucho fun riding home in the snow. Think I might play out tomorrow.

edit, image added,

[​IMG]

8" travel front and back,
    Hope 6ti brakes, 203mm rotors,
    sram x9 mech and shifter,
    saint cranks, e13 bashguard / chain guide.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2009
  7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

It's a little firm at the moment, need to get softer springs. Other than that I'm very happy with it. :thumb:

8. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

Just got a kona fire mountain deluxe for christmas, will post pics here soon. Seems to be working well, though cycling on ice was rather interesting. Worked really well on the mud and roots though, now just need to get more confident with it.

9. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Finished work at 12:00 today (no customers) so me and my mate have been out MTB'ing in the snow for the past 2 hours. 10psi Cheesecake :brrr:

Loadsa fun :D (no pics tho). Anyone else been riding in the snow?

10. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I've been out for quite a few hours around christmas. Nothing's more fun than sliding around in the woods. Got some odd looks from a few people. C'mon, it wasn't that cold, weaklings. :hehe:

The weather sucks right now though, either it's above freezing point and very muddy or there's more than 20cm of snow, sucks either way.

How do you clean your bike in the winter?

11. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Just like you would at any other time of year: a rag, some mild cleaning solution, and a lot of elbow grease (and some real grease helps, too).

Speaking of winter, one of my winter bikes just decided to up and snap in half on me, so now I'm in the market for a new frame, but cannot decide which one I want to go for... Right now I'm looking at the Surly Big Dummy frameset, or the 1x1. Both I can get through work for an alright price, and both have their advantages, but I'm still kind of on the fence, mainly because the Big Dummy doesn't have horizontal drop-outs, and it's rather long, so I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it as much as I do my current winter bike/hauling machine. However, the 1x1 is light, super strong (so hopefully it won't snap after a few winter seasons), and does have horizontal drop-outs, but doesn't have the hauling capacity of the Big Dummy, which I think would be rather advantageous, given my distinct lack of motorized transport...

Opinions on either?

12. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

My Heckler , had it a few years but it's still going strong...

[​IMG]

13. Cookie Monster

I ride into work everyday so i've been riding all through the snow. I sometimes take the fun route and hit some snowy stairs :D

Looking at new bikes today too, i'm torn between a Giant Reign 0 and a Trek Remedy 8.

14. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Both good bikes.

15. Cookie Monster

Yeah mate, very nice but for me the Giant has the better spec. I need to steal my mates Proceed again (see above), its mucho fun in the snow.

16. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Malfoleo I'd go for the 1x1 (in orange :)) and wack a decent pannier rack on, reasonably light but a solid good quality\value frame. I'd been looking at one for a winter\work build, but as I don't have any parts it's cheaper and less hassle to buy a full build off the peg. I'm looking at the Genesis iO (s\s) or iOiD (alfine 8spd).

Cookie Monster I'd denfinately recommend the Remedy, but you're right the Giant is the better spec for the money. Just make sure you swap those Raceface cranks for some XT\XTR as they ruin the look of the bike :sigh:.

17. Malvolio

Malvolio .

@FIBRE+: Although the 1x1 is rather tempting (though not in orange!), I'm kind of leaning towards the Big Dummy, purely due to the immense cargo capacity. At the moment I've got a foldable wire basket afixed to one side, a large basket-style pannier, and two 25-odd litre pannier's up front, and they just barely hold my shopping (I go bi-weekly). However, I do transport a large amount of bicycle parts (frames, wheels, forks, ect), along with furniture, and other assorted stuff, so although I can do it currently with the rack system I have, it's too cumbersome in an every-day application.

Plus, you don't see too many long-tails kicking about :p And I'm not too concerned about weight (current bike that I've busted is about 45lbs including my lighting systems).

This is my proposed build for whatever frame I end up with:
    S-type on M495 (or DMR revolver hub, don't know which) up front
    Big Fat Mammoth on a shimano inter4 out back (4 speed internal, with coaster brake) (maybe another wheel in the summer, with external gears and disk brakes, and whatnot)
    Truvativ Holzfeller cranks with 36t blackspire ring, and toothed-bash
    Titec stem with 4-piece DH bar
    FSA Pig Pro headset
    Kenda Kwick tires (or Maxxis Hookworm tires in the summer)
    ODI-style lock on grips (got them free through work)
    Funn Soljam pedals
    KMC chain
    Profile Design shorty bar-ends
    Axiom (or easton EA50) seatpost with a specalized Phenom seat
    And enough lights to make even a blind man see (I hate cars by the way)

If I get the Bug Dummy frame set, I'll go for the pannier side frames, the top-deck, and the "Cargo Van" side rails, along with standard side-mount front-pannier racks. The 1x1 will just get my current rack system.

Should be fun either way.

18. Cookie Monster

Mate, you know how much I wanted the Remedy, not sure about the cranks though, I like them. Anyway made enquiries today about getting a Reign and we are going to look at setting the shop up as a Maestro dealer which means ontop of my 10% staff discount i'd get an extra 3% off the trade price.

19. Malvolio

Malvolio .

My impromptu winter tire review (for no particular reason, other than I feel like ranting about idiots who think you require studded tires in winter):

Alright, as a little bit of background, I feel it should be said that I've been riding my bike in winter since I was a little kid, so I've grown up doing it in canadian winters, though every temperature that a thermometer can display. I've ridden just about every style of bike through just about every condition, and feel I can generally handle myself without too much issue at some speed on a spot of ice. As a general rule, I try to keep three bikes ready at any time for winter conditions, as I run them so hard, for so many miles, that they have a tendency of breaking down on me without too much warning.

To put it bluntly, I know my stuff.

For as long as I can remember, I've been running semi-slick tires in winter, with great success. For the past number of years I've stuck with one tire in particular, which is still amazingly in production, but I cannot remember the brand name. But to put it in a nutshell, the tread consists of widely spaced, very low chevrons with some small texturing between. It digs, doesn't pack up, and grips like no tomorrow (due to the large, uninterrupted surface area).

So, when I was presented with a free set of Schwalbe Ice Spiker HS333's at work, I figured I would given them a shot, and see just how they do in these chilly winter months. Unfortunately not everything went quite as well as the reviews would have lead me to believe on these tires...

To put it in a word, they're shite. Complete shite. I actually feel ripped off on these tires, despite not having paid anything for them. The only positive I can give to them, is that the sparks flying from them in an emergency skid look kinda cool.

Rolling resistance: not too bad considering how tall the tread is. Don't be get me wrong though, these are no slicks, but on a thirty five pound hard-tail bike with an internally geared rear hub, these get up to speed a lot faster than I ever would have imagined. However, they slow down right quick, and you just cannot keep the speed, no matter what terrain you're on. So you're going to be working for the speed on these tires.

Grip: there isn't any. Seriously, I just couldn't find any. On smooth, dry tarmac they can almost get some traction, but as soon as you go to turn, they just dive out from under you. On ice it only gets worse. There isn't any straight-line traction from a standing start, there isn't any to stop with, and don't even think about turning! It's certain death if you even think about making an emergency manoeuvre at any speed at all (above walking pace). Tire pressure didn't seem to make as much of a difference as one might expect. I typically ran these at a full 65psi, but dropping them down to 30 only made a marginal difference at best, which just isn't worth it for how hard these tires are to push at that low of a pressure. Brief story: was riding along at an alright pace (not real fast or anything - about what a person would run) on some glazed-over ice, and a vehicle pulled out in front of me a ways ahead, so I took a casual, banking turn left, and ended up flat on my face. Why? Because both tires just lost all grip on a slight turn.

I've never in all the years I've ridden on ice had both tires just wash out on me in a patch of ice at that speed. For this reason, and this reason alone, I will never use these tires again.

Deep snow: can I use the term packer without it offending you lot? Because thats what these tires are; they pack in snow like a sherpa packs gear up a mountain. And because these tires are so wide and square, they don't dig down to the good, solid stuff to really get in there and grip. I've never had to walk my bike this much in winter, ever. Though they do seem alright in light bits of mud, and they clean that stuff out alright, just don't take them anywhere near snow. Which kind of begs the question of why these tires have studs in them, doesn't it?

Durability: most of the studs have ripped out of the tires in a very short time, despite proper bedding-in techniques. On the ride today, I lost five studs in the front, and one in the back (not that there are many left in the back, as all the studs in the centre are gone). Don't expect these things to last over several years if you ride a lot, I'll say that much.

Cost/value: considering these perform well worse than tires costing a small fraction of the price, I would have to say there is no value in these tires, just cost. Stay away, ok?

Hope that was useful to some of you considering riding in winter. It's a lot more fun than you might expect, try it some time! Just don't waste your money on shite studded tires, as you won't get the return you might expect. They're simply a boost in confidence that is undeserved. They will kill you if you're not careful.

Happy trails.

20. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Waiting for confirmation as to whether my finance application for an 09 Trek Fuel EX8 was succesful or not. Fingers crossed!