1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News We stored 295 exabytes of data by 2007, says study

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 14 Feb 2011.

1. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Eyes ben tryn ta bild ma own rolla costa fo yeers now. Can ya sin me tha blu.. blup... blupi..... shii.. drawins?

:dremel:

2. Devolve

Devolve Deadbeat

isn't it a bit daft to say a lot of these images/videos do not contribute. At the end of the day no matter what is stored, it is stored on a product which has been bought, boosting economy. There is entertainment value aswell perhaps? I really dont think anyone can say stuff is useless, just certain things may be morally questionable?

3. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Now i need to go look for a video of that :hehe:

4. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

OK OK we keep the lolcatz, but we chuck out all the BBC 3 and ITV output.

5. Silverster

Silverster What's a Dremel?

Sorry to ruin the atmosphere here~ but I just want to make it sure: 295 exabytes is the number of data we have stored TILL 2007 or just in the SINGLE YEAR 2007?
    And for a film-DVD example, it contains 4.7GB data, but produced million copies, will it be considered as 4.7GB data or 4.7PB data?

6. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

I'm just curious about "...13 layers of books.".

Just wonder what kind of books were used. 13 layers of stories for kids or elementary school math book or Harry Potter or Quantum Physics theories or 54 volumes of V.I. Lenin 'Collected Works'?

Please define the phrase >layer of books<. :D How the hell they calculated that magic '13 layers'? LOL

7. jadawgis732

jadawgis732 What's a Dremel?

Oh, really? You never learned anything by looking at an image with graphs and charts? You never gained any knowledge by watching a documentary?

8. jadawgis732

You know it's like Lenin said "you look for the people who are going to benefit, and...." "I am the walrus" "and...." "I am the walrus" "DONNIE STFU! V.I. Lenin! VLADIMIR ILYICH ULIANOV! Those mf's I did not watch my buddies dive face down in the mud so that this struffet, this whore! could strut around!" "What got into Walter?"

For anyone who has NO idea what I'm talking about, no I'm not crazy, you just need to catch up on your best comedies of all time list.

9. jadawgis732

Sorry, I cant edit.

My guess would be that they took the average number of words per square inch on pages over a certain amount of books that made the data significant, and just applied to the total area of land. It wouldn't matter how big the pages were because you could just make one page 3.7 million square miles (roughly equal to the are of China or the US)*(average words per square mile on a page) and found that that there was 13x that amount. But yeah, I'd like to know whether it was 13 pages or 13 books, with x number of pages.

Tags: Add Tags