Equipment Weatherproof DSLR recommendation

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Pete J, 9 Oct 2017.

1. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

Hey all,

So, my trusty B700 has gone walkies unfortunately. However, this represents a new opportunity to upgrade to something more in line with my requirements and treat myself to something that can get smaller than an F8 aperture.

Anyways, I would like a DSLR that is weatherproof - not 'can just about survive a small sneeze' weatherproof, more like 'can survive three days upside down on a muddy slope on Snowdon in February'. My current choice is the Nikon D7200 but I'd like a cheaper option if possible - especially as I think I'm going to get a 18-300mm lens to go with it that'll cost the same again from the looks of things. I should point out I generally like to take landscape shots but like to capture wildlife from time to time.

I am aware of the Pentax K70, but I'm concerned about its limited lens choice.

Let me know if you have any advice.

2. veato

veato I should be working

I have experience with Pentax weatherproofing and whilst I haven't taken it to extreme locations it has never let me down on beaches and in rain showers for example.

Which lens(es) would you be worried about not being available in the Pentax mount?

3. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

Well, to be honest, I think the 18-300mm Nikon lens is what appeals to me as it means I can have a 'one size fits all' set up. With the Pentax, I would have to carry a 55-300 and something for the wide angle range. Cost wise, this would still come in under the Nikon, but thinking about it, not by that much. And then I'm looking at switching around lenses. Hmm.

4. veato

You can get a Sigma 18-300 and a Pentax 18-270 in K mount. I can't vouch for either as I've not used them but there are options available.

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

The weatherproofing on Pentax cameras is really good. I've taken the K30, K5 and K1 to take pictures in various storms or covered them in salt water and they've been fine. You just need to couple them with a suitable DA WR or DA* lens. No matter which system you go for, you have to make sure both the camera body and lens are water resistant. The easiest way to spot weather sealing on a lens it to look for a silicone ring on the mounting plate.

I have three lenses for the K1. A 24-70 DFA, 70-200 DA* and a Sigma 50-500mm DG APO. The most used has been the 20-70mm for walking about town and landscapes. The 70-200 is basically for portraits and shooting wildlife after getting really close (even at 300mm you need to be within 30ft of whatever you are shooting in the face.) The least used is the 50-500mm; it's nice to have but you quickly find that super zooms are more prone to barrel distortion and flare than a boring normal zoom lens.

There's a probably incomplete list of WR lenses on the Pentax forums:
    https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/showcat.php?cat=all&stype=1&si=wr

6. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

Well, after a week of looking on Gumtree and going out of my mind looking up reviews on lenses, I've found a well looked after second hand D7200 with accessories and have opted to go for the relatively new Tamron 18-400mm. Should meet my weather sealed needs.

Now, I have to make myself aware of the optimum aperture values and focal range to use for the lens. Might make a small chart to stick on the side of the camera. Cropping to 16:9 should also reduce evidence of barreling/pincushioning at the more extreme focal ranges too.

Edit: messed up the URL code and the edit function doesn't seem to show the code anymore...

7. veato