1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Webserver question:

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sco0by, 8 Jan 2002.

1. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Bit of an odd query this one:

Does anyone know where I can get information on setting up a simple webserver?

My idea is to use our (very)underutilized dsl link at the office to do a lil bit of hosting for personal stuff, maybe forum pics :p etc.

Problem is that our main server is running WinNT, and has a Cisco hardware firewall. I tried 2 different simple webservers (simpleserver.www and vqserver) but neither worked.

I`m just wondering if there is a quick-fix simple solution, or if it would be insanely hard and not worth it?

Tell me guys, am I nuts? :rolleyes:

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

personally I would run an apache server ....

I am not a technical genius so dont ask me how to get it past the firewall and all that ....

3. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

cisco firewall on a DSL line? is it just me or is that overkill. maybe they just like to be really secure, but ive never head of it. then again i havent really gotten into anything that involves cisco yet.

4. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

I think its because its a UK subsiduary of a massive US company - although its only just starting out here in the UK - we are funded by the US, and our systems have to conform to their specs. Eg Duel Xeon dell server, 1.5mb DSL Line, Cisco Router and Firewall, despite the fact that there are only 12 people in the company at the moment :eek: still - means i get great download rates on Morpheus :D

5. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

/me wonders if you need a thirteenth person to make the tea...

Just getting ready to get back on the market and honing my jobseeking skills, and boy do they need honing!!!!!

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

hehehehehehe fly :rofl: LMAO

7. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

1. Apache on Windows is not very good.

2. That cisco firewall is probably meant to block things that aren't supposed to be there....including a webserver....

even if you did get a webserver working there might not be a way through the firewall...unless you know the admin to it of course.

For WinNT you should be using (i think) microsofts own webserver services - but I'm a unix man so know nothing of that.

8. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

I have a plan B: What if I split the feed coming out of the DSL box? So there is one line going to the firewall and the router which will handle all the network traffic, and a second private line running to a seperate pc which is not connected to our internal LAN...

I`m going to have a poke around the network room today as the boss isnt in! ;)

9. moose

moose What's a Dremel?

Hmm... sounds a bit iffy, but give it a shot I guess ... just try not to break anything! :)

10. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

all you need to do is tell the firewall not to block a certain port, and put the server on that port. i have NO idea on how to do that, but thats the theory to it (covered it in class today)

11. Fly

Not ideal... Webservers are ideally placed in DMZs (between two firewalls) to allow access to your Webserver from the outside but not to your LAN. If you bypass the firewall you are leaving yourself open to all kind of security breaches, not to mention breaking the security policy in force at your workplace. Knowingly doing that results usually in summary execution...err...I mean dissmissal. Be careful!!!!

12. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

What security policy? :D I AM the security policy hehe - thats why the main server has got a 15gb SCSI drive full of my downloads, and im the only one with access to it! hehe nothing like having no proper network admin in the office :rolleyes:

The wiring in the office seems to go: DSL box - router - firewall - hub. I was thinking of using a smaller hub we have to split the feed between the router and the firewall, having one feed to run the main hub off the firewall - leaving it nice`n`secure, and using the other feed to run a spare dell box we have as a lil secret webserver - not on the lan so the office is still safe ;)

It all depends when the boss is out of the office next week :rofl:

13. Fly

** cough ** cough ** Fly's CV ** cough ** cough **

:D :D

I think the you will have to ensure that all Updates to the webserver are done on the actual machine, not remotely from the LAN as there is no firewall to stop anyone attempting to log onto it.
    Another problem is that If a haXxor sees any machine that is part of a network he will try his best to access the rest of the network from it.
    The Webserver would be, I assume, assigned an IP by the router hence would be on the same IP range and subnet as the rest of the LAN giving the haXxor all the info he needs to attemp to spoof IPs past the firewall.

*sigh*
    /me looks at his Unix network admin screen and wonders if there might be a little excitement on the rest of the nightshift...
    *sigh*

Tags: