1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Website Critique: www.niblet.us UPDATES 12/2/03

Discussion in 'Software' started by jcm44, 10 Nov 2003.

1. jcm44

jcm44 What's a Dremel?

This site is still in development and lots of more content is planning to be added. But, since the guys and gals here at BT helped me get the thing going, I thought I'd get my first cracks from you.

All links should work, but currently there isn't any feedback or places to submit your own ideas. That should be added by the end of the week. I am also testing a number of layouts but my most basic layout is what is up now. So let me know!

www.niblet.us

Last edited: 3 Dec 2003
  2. RTT

RTT #parp

The buttons top right are a little hard to read.
    Font could be nicer (tahoma, verdana - smaller size too) for the about/the-list pages
    Line height adjusted to 17px or so with CSS

Other than that, i quite like it. I'm a fan of the simple yet effective approach :)

3. jcm44

jcm44 What's a Dremel?

I am not fimilar with line height. Does that add more white space between the lines?

Yeah I was worried about the mouse over buttons. The banana split font is hard to read when its that small, but since I knew what they were I kind of forgot that other people may not get it.

Thanks for the comments RTT.

BTW I should note that you have to be able to laugh at yourself if you decide to read the content.

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I agree that the font could do with changing.

Always liked verdana (size 10)

5. RTT

RTT #parp

The line-height attrib. in CSS as you guessed adds space inbetween lines of text.

I find the default value that IE uses is kinda small, i like a little more room personally, but hey - it's your site :)

6. jcm44

jcm44 What's a Dremel?

No I changed the font and the line height and now I see what you mean. I thought it was hard to read too, but I thought that might just be the large blocks of text and no real formatting.

I do like the verdana font, but anything bigger than 10pts looks kind of funny and it might be hard to match up with other fonts. I played with it a little, but I am at work and people keep walking in my cube and seeing my remote desktop screen so I should probably get back to work.

Thanks for the insight.

7. Sid

Sid Banned

You need more whitespace. The text inside the table is too close to the border. Same with the left area text. It goes a bit too close to the border.

I would use the font you've got for your titles (Times, I think) for the main paragraph text. And use the current paragraph text (Verdana) for your titles. Serif fonts are generally easier to read for long blocks of text.

I agree with Rich about the navbar buttons. They are a little hard to read a quick glance. Maybe just make them slightly bigger? I also feel that there should be some kind of indication on the navbar regarding the current page.

Lastly, I'd like to see better support for differing screen sizes. ie. No horizontal scrolling required. Nor should there be an overly large amount of whitespace at the right hand side.

8. jcm44

jcm44 What's a Dremel?

so you think just using % instead of pixels for the tables?

9. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Like the layout, but yellow is not my colour, but that is just taste I suppose.

Maybe you can work on some resizing stuff?

10. Sid

Sid Banned

Correct. That is if you choose to continue using tables instead of the better stuff you could use. ;)

11. jcm44

jcm44 What's a Dremel?

i assume you mean that i will still have to use tables, but i can define their attributes in css. i know css are nice, but sometimes they add more work. i mean if you only have 4 pages each with a different layout, then you have to create seperate attributes for each table.

12. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I used to think the same thing, but once you get the hang of CSS, you will question how you ever used tables for layout.

My advice, go to the csszengarden and play around with their different 'themes' and remind yourself there is only one html file and not a single table. All of the changes are strictly done in the CSS file.

If you want to completely redesign your site, you can change the CSS file instead of having to redo every table, and after you forget how you set up your tables, they will be much harder to maintain than a CSS file IMO.

(good job so far, btw!)

13. Sid

Sid Banned

For me the whole single file thing didn't really bother me.

It was more to do with CSS giving me more control.

14. jcm44

jcm44 What's a Dremel?

well i will have to look at that. i am all about modular coding. that's what i use CF for mostly. just a cfinclude for each "peice" of the page, that way if i change my "news" or the "header" then everything every page is changed.

thanks btw, I hope at least someone finds it amusing, cause i have to say, i really crack myself up.

15. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Actually for me it was more getting linear to stop yelling at me...
    :D

16. jcm44

jcm44 What's a Dremel?

Well I did a lot of updating, so let me know what you think now. There are still a few things that I am tweaking, but everything should at least look okay.