1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Website

Discussion in 'Software' started by Archtronics, 22 May 2007.

1. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Id like to set up a website to showcase my mod and maybe help get me some sponsors just wondering if anyone knows of a good program to use.

Must Not Be A blog by the way.

2. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Dreamweaver is good. :thumb:

Notepad will do lol

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Notepad++ and the internet to teach you HTML is what you want.

4. identikit

identikit Minimodder

5. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

6. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Hyper Text Markup Language. The code of the net. Nvu is a very nice WYSIWYG HTML editor that's based on the FireFox code.

7. vetlel

vetlel What's a Dremel?

Google wordpress or drupal ...
    html is so 90's

8. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

Plumbing? :p

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

10. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Right which is the best you post names of things without telling me what they are about.

11. vetlel

vetlel What's a Dremel?

Drupal can be made into anything, not just a blog...

12. vetlel

vetlel What's a Dremel?

Maybe it is a nice idea to do some of the work yourself?
    Like read a website?

13. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

I took your advice and did some of my own reserch I already have the dreamweaver program and know how to use it but it also annoys me and I have never actually used it to host a website how would I do this through dreamweaver.

As for Nvu I like the Idea of it and It also sounds very helpfull but how do I start using it do I need a domain already or what.

Oh and finally were can I get a free domain People have offered me Sub-Domains which are very nice but Id prefere to be the main person in charge.

Thanks for your help so far.

14. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

You will need to find some hosting. And domains aren't free, but for about a fiver per year, it's not bad.

Hosting is anywhere from £0-£5 ish, for your sort of needs, per month. I'm afraid I can't recommend any hosts at the moment (I've been out of the industry for a while) (perhaps DreamHost tho, if they are still around?), but godaddy.com is up there with the best of the domain registrars.

15. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

Any of the above are fine for writing the page. as far as hosting, If you want to do your own hosting, there are a couple redirector services that will let you host the site off of a home computer, they just have something running on the pc to keep track of current IP(I believe thats how it went.)

one of these that comes to mind that was free and seemed good when I was looking to do this was no-ip.com.

16. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Right hosting isnt really a big problem then I pressum I need a domain.

Is there anything like err I think it was called geocites.Dont know if it has anything to do with websites.

17. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Oh my god. I can't actually believe this.

Right dude, you've got two options:

Option 1:
    Find a good beginner's html tutorial online and work up a site from first principals. This is my recommendation. The site won't look gorgeous but you will be on the right road to knowing your stuff. If you're interested in actually learning about web development then once you know HTML I would investigate CSS, XML/XSL, JavaScript, and AJAX in that order. Ruby on Rails is also meant to be very cool but I don't know anything about it really.

Option 2:
    If you have any kind of experience with programming you'll be fine hacking up a phpNuke system. phpNuke is a CMS (content management system) and it basically allows you to maintain the site in realtime, adding content as you go - you only have to change the layout initially for your requirements. There's tonnes of tutorials on the phpNuke site that will get you from start to finish with minimal thinking. The site will probably end up looking better using this option but you won't learn jack **** and any geek worth his bawls will load your page and say "meh, another douche using Nuke" (it's already been superceded by wordpress et al in a lot of areas, but a few years ago every idiot was using Nuke and it became very, very dull). Up to you.

AH

P.S. Dude, don't spam the wrong forum because the right forum is less active. This should be in development.

P.P.S. Sorry, I'm in a shitty mood.

P.P.P.S. For gawd's sake don't use anything other than a text editor to develop basic websites. Windows Notepad is fine, on Macs I use TextWrangler, and on Linux either just vi or if I'm feeling a bit GUI friendly, kate. Having said that, if you're on a Mac I hear Coda is just delicious for development.

18. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Why can it not be a blog?
    IIRC, wordpress has a static page system, so you need not have the blog area. then you can just use a premade theme. Easiest way to get it going.

19. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

20. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

whats wrong with dreamweaver?

I really don't get why people have a thing against it... damn purists :p