1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Websites go dark in protest at SOPA, PIPA

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 18 Jan 2012.

1. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

i think wikipedias blackout is gonna have some major impact. taking away the common repository for all human knowledge is quite the statement. with wikipedia down many people will be unable to understand why everything is down to begin with. I had my first day of classes today, and several of my professors cited wikipedia's blackout as an obstacle in preparing notes for today's lecture. It will be quite difficult for SOPA proponents to talk down this one.

BTW, I apologize on behalf of my country for this whole ordeal. The US government is kind of like that friend who is a bit of an ass, but you stick with him because you've known him for so long. Nowadays senate and congress members spend 40% of their time doing whatever the lobbyists ask them to, 20% trying to get re-elected, 5% spending taxpayers money of stupid things (both for their own private use and various wars to avoid spending it on our educational system), and the other 35% sleeping (we all need our 8 hours).

2. eternum

eternum *blam* shotgun fanhole

So, because this site's parent company has opted to remain in operation today (a decision that Bit-Tech has no authority to make), you automatically assume that the site itself disagrees with the protest and is in full support of the proposed legislation, or is too arrogant to participate? Your lack of consideration or comprehension is staggering.

3. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

USA - Land of the Free

More like Soviet Russia!

4. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

Ugh, just read the whole whitehouse post. Are these really the people advising the president on technological issues?

Do they even understand what piracy is? I doubt the pirate bay makes a lot of money off of it's 4 banner ads, usually leased out to troll ad's.

Or do they think that people are actually downloading money straight from the corporate bank accounts. "You know, these magical internet tubes could carry some scary stuff, like drugs, guns, communism, illegal aliens, weaponized homosexuality pathogens, terrorism, and censored media. Oh wait, we were trying to add that last one to the list weren't we?"

knuck likes this.
  5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

rep :thumb:

6. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

What pisses me off the most about this is how a law past in a country that has, what, 10% of the the worlds population affects 100% of the people with a net connection. And there is nothing we non-US people can actively do to stop them.

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

"Millions of Americans oppose SOPA and PIPA because these bills would censor the Internet and slow economic growth in the U.S.

Two bills before Congress, known as the Protect IP Act (PIPA) in the Senate and the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the House, would censor the Web and impose harmful regulations on American business. Millions of Internet users and entrepreneurs already oppose SOPA and PIPA.

The Senate will begin voting on January 24th. Please let them know how you feel. Sign this petition urging Congress to vote NO on PIPA and SOPA before it is too late."

https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Anyone want to loan me a zip code so I can vote too? ehehe

Sloth likes this.
  8. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Eventually, slowly, the 'centre' (for want of a better word) of the internet will move away from the US, out of its jusridiction and sites, search engines etc will thrive elsewhere. Someone with a bit of vision could make a killing here.

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Five random digits should eventually get you something, but if you want I know 98366, 98367, 98315 and 98377 all work.

+rep for posting that, by the way.

Fizzban likes this.
  10. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

11. CoffeeTwoSugars

CoffeeTwoSugars What's a Dremel?

12. Howdy

Howdy What's a Dremel?

Back in the day (during the times of knights and thing) we had staves entertain us, which live drama acts and music now it's the entertainers with all the money and it's not like they haven't been able to pay there mortgage or anything, more like they couldn't get the extra car or spend silly amounts on there 5yr old birthday (there 5 they wont remember you spent 100k on there birthday). The only reason why they aren't getting as much is cos movies have gone downhill as there's only one movie a year i would say is worth going to the cinema and the rest we wait for on dvd or blu-ray. I've never bough a album and though that all the songs are good.

Back to the issue - how can they try and be in control of something used world wide,
    I don't remember putting them in charge of the internet.

Tags: Add Tags