1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Wee for a Wii ends with mother's death

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 15 Jan 2007.

1. IccleD

IccleD What's a Dremel?

A) She failed to win, um, I assume in failing to win she either wet herself or what?
    B) She complained to her employers of headaches? So, she went to work after the competition? So she didn't pee in all this time?

I can sit in a Cinema for a 3hour film, and not pee, but the second I move I have to go then and there, because it really is too painful to hold on.

I can only assume that this was caused by (as mentioned above) a chemical imbalance, rather than not peeing or drinking so much as too effectivly drown.

The radio station could be found responsible, if they didn't make clear the effects of taking part, but I failed to see any Time data, ie the compo was Monday, she died Friday...

Last edited: 16 Jan 2007
  2. Regenesis

Regenesis What's a Dremel?

I personally don't find the mother at fault here. She did it out of love for her kids, not for the console. Just stating this to put into light that society hasn't exactly reached it's time where others are willing to sacrifice their lives completely for a game system(and let's hope it doesn't ever come to that). Just to be redundant, remember she took on the contest to get a Wii "for her kids". I will agree that the station is at blame here in correspondence to Snafu-X-'s post. Truly though this is a sad tale to tell and I hope that the station compensates the family, especially for the children's sake. Also that everything is put to justice.

3. Neomega

Neomega What's a Dremel?

Now I studied this in Biology last year. Every substance has an LD50, or how much of that substance is a lethal dose to 50% of any given sample of people. For water its approximately 8 litres. What happens is your body cells become too full of water, and start to burst. This obviously is dangerous, and in many cases, lethal. My guess is thats about how much water she drank.

I blame the radio station for that one, it's a bloody stupid thing to do, and they should've looked this up beforehand.

4. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

This is the stations fault. You cant have some one drink that much water, with out giing them some kind of electrolites, salt, or potasium. When you drink water it is absorbed throught the linning of your stomach, and i your kidneys cant keep up with the job of processing that water it, enters the blood stream and dilutes the amounts of disolved sugars, salts and potasium in the blood, caussing those compunds to be drawn out of the cells, unfortunitly with out thouse sugars and salts the cells die, and with out the potasium your musscles can not function as their zachomier unites will not contract, basicly you get headaches, dizzyness and then you can have a heart attack or stroke out because you arnt pushing o2 rich blood around your body.

The station should have know this, there are a number of cases of people dieing from drinking to much water. Their health warning, dosent mean anything if they said stop i you feel sick, these effects would have manafested affter the contest. THey shold have given them a couple o bannanas and some gateraid during the stunt, then everyting would have bee ok.

5. Loz

Loz Blah Blah

I think responsibility has to lie with the station here. Given the number of people who've expressed surprise that this could happen, station included, the woman couldn't have been expected to know.
    Of course, she could have done her research, but why would you without even the idea of risk and a large media organisation actually suggesting it?

The media hold a position of power and trust; with that comes responsibility. Whether this should be the case is for another discussion entirely.

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Agreed.

7. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I think it is safe to assume that most people probbably did not know you could die from drinking too much water. Also, really doubt the radio station did much research to find out how dangerous the contest really was. If my two assumptions are true then I would definitely find the radio station responsible.

I don't believe you can claim the woman was greedy. She assumed the contest was safe (and I believe many other people would have thought the same). If I had a chance to compete in a safe and free contest I would enter the contest, and I imagine many other people would too.

L J

8. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

When I first saw the title of this article I was afraid someone hit their mother in the head with a Wiimote and knocked her off a balcony or something.

This is very sad that people were unaware that drinking too much water is bad for you (doesn't anyone remember that episode of House where that boy had this same problem?) and I think the blame rests on both the station and the woman. She shouldn't have waited so long/not gone to the hospital/done the stunt in the first place, and the radio station should know better than host a contest involving something with an obvious potential danger.

9. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Disagreed! :p

10. Perforated

Perforated What's a Dremel?

See, I thought Darwin at first... but yeah, I think I am gonna go against the station. Thinking about it, I used to use the "even water is poisonous in high enough doses" line when I was younger & even more of a precocious **** than I am now to surprise people - and, more often than not, it did. Not just dumb people, either.

On the part of the station, however, I would've thought purely in the interests of their own insurance liability this would have been looked into.
    Any challenge that has ANY kind of "endurance" aspect is going to be pushing some area of the body towards a limit.

Right, I'm off to the bathroom, I can count 4 recently-emptied beer bottles lined up on my desk and suddenly I don't wanna hold it in any longer ;)

11. Snafu-X-

Snafu-X- What's a Dremel?

This is the only thing that that matters. Why are we wasting time discussing blame? Making snide remarks about darwin ********. A life is gone, forever. A child has just had the most important person in their whole life taken from them. Many more lives have been altered for the worse, forever. Some things, you never get over. Yet we sit here blathering on about this. Reading this thread, my own post included, makes me a little sad for the world we live in.

12. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Without a doubt this is the stations fault. They should have made sure it was safe before making people do this. I would bet money that (before this happened) only a very small % of people knew drinking that much water could be fatal. Hell, water is commonly believed to be one of those things where you can't get enough of it.

Before doing ANY type of contest that requires the contestant to push their bodies to extreme limits, they should have consulted some kind of medical professional to make sure it was safe first.

To be honest, I never knew water in extreme amounts could be dangerous, and I doubt many of the people here on this site knew it could kill you. This is a really sad story and I feel especially bad for those kids. Imagine the guilt they must be going through. Imagine the memories they will have every time they see a Nintendo Wii.

13. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

Quite literally dying for a wii :D

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Some people are bound to insist that's in poor taste, but ROFL :D

15. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Tags: Add Tags