1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other WEEE and/or the disposal of electronic tat.

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 21 Jan 2017.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Bits of my pc have just died and it got me wondering about disposal of electronic junk. I know you're not really supposed to just chuck the stuff in the bin and send it off to whichever landfill it'll invariably end up at, you're supposed to dispose of it 'properly' and whatnot but i was wondering, does anyone actually bother?

So... what do you lot do with your unsalvageable, dead, electronic junk?

2. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

If I can't palm it off to someone else for cash or free it goes to the local tip/reuse site that has all the bins for small and large electrical/electronics.... I just have to have faith in the system that it goes to the correct place to be recycled.....

Failing that where I work there are bins for electronic recycling so I have no excuse.....

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Definitely in the 'small appliances' at the tip, not the bin.
    Sorry to hear that your kit's died :(

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Our council collects 'Small' electricals though they don't actualy define what that means.

5. RedFlames

Hmm... sadly one does not simply 'turn up' to the local tip... so i'll have to look into if they actually take that kind of thing, then apply for a permit...

[*rant about local council here*]

6. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

7. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

You do know they sell that stuff and make a profit out of it ? They are paid by the tonne.

I used to work for Curry's and some of the PC stuff that went in for WEE ended up coming home with me.

8. Arboreal

Result! Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Even better than recycling :cooldude:
    I rescued 2 PCs, 3 monitors and 5 Kbd/Mice from a skip 4 years ago; jus t before the builders' waste went in on top

9. Behemoth

I see no shame in it, and as I've said before if I could take stuff from the local tip, I would but its not allowed.

10. Arboreal

Aye, and that's the real shame. At one of my local tips, they have blokes (I call them the 'vultury guys') who buy stuff from the tip, over and above what's put on sale like good furniture & bikes etc.
    But I think it's some shady closed shop deal :eyebrow:
    Every tip should be able to sell stuff that's too good to get rid of; I know the staff cream off some stuff, and good for them as I do think re-use is a better first option.

11. RedFlames

I know a fair few charity shops that do this, any decent stuff comes in and the staff keep it.

12. Behemoth

The two main reasons why we aren't allowed to take electrical stuff is the safety element of it, the second is again the local authority gets paid for the stuff. Our tip has ANPR cameras in it these days. I think I've said this before, but there was a Cooler Master full tower case (a rare one in mint condition ) that I wasn't allowed to take, made me proper teasy that did.