1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Weird Buzzing/Squeaking

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Bloody_Pete, 12 Feb 2010.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Hi Everyone

I want to pick your brains. My system seems to have developed a strange, intermittant, buzzing/whining/squeaking noise sometime when gaming, but mostly when a steam convo notification box pops up from the task bar. It makes to distinct tones when this happens, one on the up and one on the down. Its been worring my for some time. My PSU is about 6 months old and my GPU is about a year or so old. My first guess is that its one of these playing up, but i've had no bother with the system, it's perfectly stable.

Should i be scared? Is my PSU about to Kamakazi my system? Is my GPU about to go the way of the paperweight?

Any thoughts/ideas would be great!

:D

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Any chance you can stick your head in there and narrow down where it comes from?

What kind of noise is it, exactly? If you can give us a decent description we can rule certain things out. :)

3. opal

opal Eh?

My first assumption would be your PSU, but as Krikkit said, try to figure out where exactly the noise is coming from

4. Wobb3rf3T

Wobb3rf3T New Member

I get a strange squealing noise when i overclock slightly or sometimes when playing games whch are a bit taxing on the system.
    I determined mine is coming from the power caps on the motherboard, but as mine is probarbly out of warranty i have left it, has been fine for quite a long time.
    Maybe a place for you to start looking.

5. Krikkit

If your caps are making noise then be afraid, very afraid. Once they lose all the electrolyte you'll be in a world of hurt.

Most high-pitched whining is a choke coil vibrating, those pesky rascals, and usually nothing to be worried about.

6. Wobb3rf3T

Wobb3rf3T New Member

Doh, stupid me, yes the coils i meant, not the caps. been a long time since i read into all of it when it first started making noise.
    When i was reading up on it some people put glue or something on them to stop them vibrating and making noise, dont know how safe that would be if they got hot?

7. Jux_Zeil

Jux_Zeil New Member

The best stuff to use is silicon sealant as it has a high heat threshold. I used to use it on the sealing strip of a cryogenic vacuum packing machine at work and I found the aquarium stuff is the best.

8. Krikkit

Most household glues would be alright really. PVA in wood glue is probably the best stuff because it's pretty stable, durable and most of all not an aggressive glue like a lot of "superglues" can be.

9. aaronbraich

aaronbraich New Member

I have the same problem with my 4890. I searched the web and some seem to think it's this: http://theovalich.wordpress.com/2008/11/24/nvidias-deadly-flaw-and-how-to-fix-it-no-more-gtx280-squealing/ while I have been told that it could also be interference from the memory registers apparently.

I was also told to test it with a dual 12v rail PSU of higher wattage, change the power cable to the PSU and to make sure the card had it's own power cables from the PSU.

I spoke to xfx when I first noticed this on my card and they said that they have herad of the problem before but it shouldn't effect the lifespan of the card but if it bothers me enough, I could RMA it.
    Mine still squeels under high loads but everything seems stable so far.