1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Weird TV issues.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 26 Mar 2016.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

OK this will take a while to explain. I have a 65" Hisense TV which is here.

http://hisense.co.uk/electronics/tvs/ltdn65k680m3d

I'm pretty certain it's that one. OK so when I first got it I was running a pair of Titan Black, and for whatever reason when I connected the TV to the PC nothing happened on the screen at all. I did get an odd monitor show up on the PC (Demo something or another) but no matter what I tried I could not get a display. I also connected my Youview box to the 4k input (there's only one) and again, no display.

I initially thought that the TV's 4k input may be faulty, as when I spoke to Hisense technical support they said that it was completely separate to the 1080p inputs which were on another board, so we suspected the 4k module to be faulty and they wanted to come out and replace it but it was like four days before Christmas and I'd only just got it set up (on the wall too, it's chuffing heavy) so said that I would call them back at a later date to arrange the repair.

OK so I also found out that the TV ran 4k @ 30hz, or at least that's what I was told.

Fast forward to today, and I am now running two Fury X cards by AMD. For some reason I decided to dig around in numerous stash boxes and eventually found a 3m braided HDMI cable. I connected it up and sure enough, the TV sprang to life. In my displays I could see the TV listed as some sort of Demo something just like last time, only this time I actually got a display on it. Now though it says it is 60hz.

However, all is not well. When I move my mouse onto the TV for example it is very laggy and judders as I move it. I opened up a MKV of the new Star Wars in VLC and dragged that over to the TV screen and again, it was quite laggy. What is odd is that the resolution is not bang on 4k but higher than 4k.

So does any one have any idea why my mouse would lag like that? I've done some reading and I've come up empty handed..

2. rollo

rollo Modder

If it's only rated for 4K at 30hz I'd try setting it to that first, as 4K at 60hz is a significant increase if it's really only rated for the former setting.

This can be easily changed in settings.

If that corrects it there's a problem fixed.

The amount of mixed reviews for this tv put me off buying one and reading around other forums your not the only person with this issue. Most people ended up returning it for a better brand.

3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

As a side note, the AMD cards have HDMI 1.4, which AFAIK only does up to 4k@30Hz.

4. Vault-Tec

lol I'm not returning it I've had it since December 2014 and it's been flawless. I don't have any intention of using it at 4k and never did tbh I was just bored and wanted to see what would happen if I connected it to the PC.

For some reason Windows thinks it is 60hz and no matter what I tried it stayed greyed out.

I would imagine that is why it lags.

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

You tried a custom resolution in the AMD control panel? (I think that's still possible, long time since I used an AMD graphics card).

6. Vault-Tec

I saw that and I'll be honest I pooed a little. It looked pretty in depth and confusing and I didn't want to risk blowing up the set. My wife would kill me :D

I've unplugged it for now as it really doesn't matter. I'm currently using a 4k monitor any way so I really have no need. Plus I have a dedicated gaming rig for the TV already that's running DSR in the 1080p input to push it to 1440p. And I have no major complaints, I managed an entire Fallout 4 playthrough that way and didn't feel compelled to use a higher res :)

7. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Ah that's a shame, I reckon you could have got it going with a little bit of tinkering (plus you'd be really hard pushed to blow it up lol).

But if you're happy as is, no point fiddling for fiddling's sake.