1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Welcome to bit-tech 2010

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 19 Apr 2010.

1. moullas

moullas New Member

Another point for checking the fonts

All is well on the Firefox front,
    however, fonts look ugly in IE8, and by reading the comments also in Webkit browsers. Had to go to 200% zoom on 2560x1600 res to make it readable.

Fix the site, or better yet convert everyone to FF :)

2. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Like it, only thing I'm not too sure about is the coloured line right next to the pictures, they sort of blend in together (maybe needs a pixel or 2 white space between them)

[​IMG]

edit: the lower article is a perfect example of what I mean about the section border and the picture blending together.

3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Exactly, do the people complaining about the width ever read any other sites? I think you'll find lots of sites are built to a similar width.

4. Skill3d

Skill3d New Member

should put all the buttons at the feedback location...

5. mrbens

mrbens New Member

Hope all these comments are being read.

Could you add a poll to see how many people are for and against the new layout?

6. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

+1

7. Freedom

Freedom Member

Too much space each side but besides that it good.

8. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Oh please don't. We're all human (Well most of us anyway) and we don't do change very well. Not if we think we like what we have or are used to.

9. Yardstick

Yardstick New Member

Too cluttered and rather cheap looking. Images are far too small and make it very difficult to navigate visually. Reminds me of the small ads section in a local newspaper - appears to be attempting to cram as much content as possible into too small a space.

For me the site doesn't 'work' whether viewing it on a Blackberry or a high def widescreen monitor.

Disapointing and disapointed.

10. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

for your information, as far as i can tell, it is the most tested browser during Beta. first few pages of comments in the beta section were regarding issues noticed on Firefox.

no comments on the new logo?

11. [- pio -]

[- pio -] New Member

Please don't use Helvetica Neue as body typeface, especially not light! It's way to closely spaced/thinly stroked. I'm literally getting a headache after 10 min... It's a shame, as I think the rest of the redesign works quite well! Can I suggest you use Lucida (pref. Lucida Grande) instead? KTHXBYE

Last edited: 20 Apr 2010
    Jamie likes this.
  12. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

I've seen a lot of comments RE the amount of content visible on the homepage, some of these will be from professional web people who should know what they are saying, most I suspect will be from a generation who has grown up with the interweb and just "knows" what is right and what isn't.

I like the style of the design, but I think the layout and structure are not as good as they could be.

I think a lot of the negative comments are very justified because you are cramming to much content onto a single page. A site like news.bbc.co.uk does a good job, I think at the moment the new BT does not.

I could go into a lot of strong constructive (but easy to implement) changes I would recommend, but I'm not privvy to the business decisions which led you to structure the site as you have, so anything I say would of course be incomplete and likely in contrast to your needs.

But what I can do is give you what "I" like and dislike.

Like:

- The design elements (Feature boxes, number of comment bubble etc)
    - Having long articles remain on one page (like this welcome page). Saves having to flick between pages.

Dislike:

- The vertical height before you get into the content
    - The top bar which is 50% blank and contains rarely used icons. Why note move them down?
    - The number of articles in each category (EG latest) - it all adds to the overload. If you really need 15 latest articles to be show, do they all need to be so high?
    - Two rows of tabs? What is that about? And you have an entire section devoted to USB3?
    - Tag cloud right at the top? Does anyone use this on a site like BT?
    - The comment count bubbles vary in style across the page, could there not have been some continuity?
    - Crazy footer height - how many pixels? How much wasted space?

All in all, as there is nothing "new" that I care about. For how I engage with BT I prefer the old look and feel. But give me half a day with the source code and it could kick some serious arse!

13. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Oh my would you look at my spelling! Hold on, please don't

14. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Everything is great except the homepage - fixed width simply kills it.

15. infi

infi Member

oh come on, really? that must be a joke.
    really every site I visit daily is doing this awful redesigns now clamming every information possible into the smallest column possible, we live in 2010, my monitor has a width of 1920 pixels! first my favourite german technology site (which I don't visit that often anymore after their redisgn) and now bit-tech too? my favourite english site... what sites are there left now? I just can't look at this, sorry.

16. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

17. pbryanw

pbryanw Member

Applauds the amount of effort it must have taken to link to all those sites :)

18. theevilelephant

theevilelephant New Member

After suppressing the natural "urgh, change, I hate change" impulse, I actually really like it. My only dislike is the advert right at the top of the page, so the first thing I see when I load up the site is *BAM* advert. Yeah I know thats sorta the idea but I don't like it, much nicer minus the ad:
    [​IMG]

19. cool_dude

cool_dude Officially a decade on BitTech!

Looks decent, not *that* good though imo, i mean it didn't need changing.

I came on here and thought what the hell.. i've got a 24" screen and its been narrowed down to like a 8" screen! :eek:

Then I saw the notice about variable width, and thought phew... that would've been the end of me browsing this forum otherwise... no way I could handle the crampness !!

20. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Nice job here. Looks a lot like Tom's hardware, though I think Tom's hardware is better looking than this.

Tags: Add Tags