1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Welcome to bit-tech 2010

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 19 Apr 2010.

1. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I love it!
    Related articles etc. are really useful, especially when I'm busy procrastinating.

Is there a mobile-optimized version?

2. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Brutal, But beauty is in the eye of the beholder

A mobile optimized version would be amazing

3. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

pfft, thats what dual monitor setups are for :p

multitask AND have fullscreen Cheesecake

4. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

Thanks for the tips guys. I managed to get the the fonts to look correctly now and I can read it now.

5. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Nice job!

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Well I rather like it. I'm very glad you've improved the search functions, trying to find old articles on the old site was a nightmare. Job well done.

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

The whole right column(?) is useless. I prefer the old layout, but then again, I generally hate all flashy, new sites.

8. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I dont want to be negative, however I have to say that it's not an evolution as opposed to one giant leap backwards conceptually. Design wise (graphically) I like it.

You've taken the cardinal rules of web design and literally dumped on them! Why in the name of god would you ever want to dump so much information on the homepage? There is way, way, way too much!

You have basically done what most are trying to avoid, and that's to prevent information overload. Now the challenge is to channel the information, or allow the viewers to filter the information they want. What I see is duplicate information shown all over the site, there is the homepage with an overview of everything, I click on reviews and I see again much of what's already on the homepage, so I click on hardware and yet again see so many of the same articles. For some that may be great but I think you're wasting screen real estate.

What would be great if you made some kind of system where you setup a profile which allows you to define how the site will look, for you. Now this will work best for registered members, however all other can login as guests. For the guests basically you define how the site will look for you, or how you want the information to be filtered. This is saved in a cookie so until you clear your cookie cache the site remains as you defined. You can prompt visitors without site cache to set this up, or ignore this option and there for display everything.

Agree or not well that would be sweet...I think.

Hope you can use this feedback constructively!

9. fliberty

fliberty What's a Dremel?

Screen cap of fonts. 1920x1200, Win 7, FF 3.6, ClearType enabled.

http://img186.imageshack.us/i/terribadfonts.jpg/

I won't be visiting bit-tech until it's fixed. I just don't understand why you would use HelveticaNeue-Light for main content. Maybe I'll just write a greasemonkey script to fix it.

10. fliberty

fliberty What's a Dremel?

I think the reason most people didn't have troubles with the font is because most people don't have HelveticaNeue-Light installed on their system. Simply taking it out of the font-family style makes everything wonderful again.

11. blackworx

blackworx Cable Wrangler

Aaaargh tag cloud *SPEW*

Other than that good job!

12. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

the tag thingie makes it look terrible, and the endless scroll of doom to read the comments is rather hatefull. Rest is ok tho probably have to get used to it.. I Like the button with the latest buyers guide.

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Thje tag cloud is functional and useful for those who often use tag based searching on bit-tech. I am one such person and I know lots of others who do the same.

14. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

There is rather alot of info presented on the homepage, like half a dozen columns jumbled together side by side and above eachother; having the 'recent articles' section reduced and stuffed down the bottom doesnt make a lot of sense to me. Then theres the quirky little news feeds that could be reduced to simple boxes with a scroll bar, to take up less space. The main header graphic is lost in a sea of grey and black though, needs to standout and be larger ( its your online identy afterall ). Overall I'd say it doesnt look too bad, but there are definately some curious design choices that have been made, not least of all why is the page so narrow when it could be about 30-40% wider? As for not providing any feedback on the beta site = I didnt know it existed as it wasnt well 'advertised'; I imagine thats why so many people are upset ( I never got an email inviting me to check it out at anyrate ). Same too with youtube actually- massive overhaul which really does look and function terribly, but no warning about it until afterwards when users discovered a small announcement/ invite on some obscure google page. Meh...

15. Validus

Validus What's a Dremel?

Website is looking great! Nice work.

16. Mcmonopoly

Mcmonopoly What now?!

Really not into the whole wall of info in such a small place, the 3 columns layout on the main page is really too compact.

Also, unless this is a browser issue, there's no reason to have the different articles represented by colors (vertical bar on the left of each article description,Blog/PC/NEWS/etc.), since the tabs at the top of the main page do not reflect the different colors used for each type of article anymore.

Also this kind of revamp was the reason I stopped visiting numerous other tech sites. If it ain't broke don't fix it, but I'm only a drop in a ocean of readers you might say...

17. Mcmonopoly

Mcmonopoly What now?!

Oh, 1 thing, BEST FEEDBACK BUTTON LOCATION EVER!!

18. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Main page looks good to me!

19. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

Font's are very blurry in webkit based browsers, I would strongly recommend against using Helvetica Neue Light... it's a very thin font not designed for small web print.

I would suggest regular Helvetica Neue or Verdana, the normal Helvetica Neue has greater stem thickness (a problem it was created to solve, which the light version reintroduces), and won't give the blurring, and verdana is a good one because it's cross platform and was designed to be a web font at small sizes.

20. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

Doh!! :duh: What's happen

I think the home, rather then the others tabs, is too busy..... the old one was clearer
    I dont' like this sort of label on the pics :nono:

Tags: Add Tags