1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks WEP/Encryption breaks my wireless network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by loply, 14 Feb 2005.

1. loply

loply What's a Dremel?

Hi folks,
    Ive got a Belkin ADSL Wireless router thing and its setup and working fine, but every time I turn on WEP the damn thing stops working. Windows just disconnects and when I try and reconnect it just stays disconnected.

I set up the WEP password in Windows XP and it usually works fine. Till I reboot, or sometimes it doesnt work at all.

Basically Ill get one "session" after enabling WEP wherein it will work, and after that it just wont work. Its driving me mad.

Neighbours of mine have a wireless network too, so I dont want any snooping. Ive tried using WPA-PSK security instead but Windows didnt prompt me for any password (just failed to connect).

If I disable security it instantly starts working. Any ideas?

2. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

Does your Wireless card in the PC support the level or encryption you are trying to use? Both sides of the connection need to support the feature you are trying to enable, at the level you are trying to use.

3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I have a Belkin ADSL gateway, the WEP works ok for me, but I know that it can slow the network down, sometimes cut you off (haven't experienced that with Belkin though) and other stuff. If you can, just block everyone from accessing the router, but allow some computers using the MAC filtering. A lot easier, and each network adaptor in the world is unique!

4. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

I normally just set the router not to broadcast its sid and rename it...simple and cant break...

5. planki

planki ...

can be spoofed though through arp attacks or other means

yeah but can be sniffed!

6. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

How do you stop it broadcasting its sid??

I got Netgear equipment and all is netgear yet I get the same problem when enabling wep.

It is working ok now with wep on for using internet but as soon as I share a file from one pc to the other then all computers loose their wireless connection. I have to unplug the access point and plug it back in and all can connect again.

Does not like shareing files as it disables all my wireless network. mmmmm

7. planki

planki ...

i have encountered a similar problem but when printing at a local school i help out with and the for the life of me i cannot fix it!!

8. loply

loply What's a Dremel?

MAC address filtering isnt an option as there are too many PC's for this to be practical.

Ill try disabling SSID broadcast, that sounds like a reasonable idea, and see how it works out. I take it if I disable SSID Broadcast the only way to "find" the network would be to know the exact SSID somehow (ie be told it by me)?

9. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

in a nut shell...Im sure theres a way to sniff out SSIDs but this will keep the basic people out...

10. kopite

kopite What's a Dremel?

In the netgear there should be the option to broadcast the name. Just disable that.

The bandwidth usage of the wep/wpa encryption is not huge and when using broadband it shouldnt make a difference to your downloads.

11. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Dont forget to rename it as well or it really defeats the purpose...Generally its in some of the more advanced settings...

12. kopite

kopite What's a Dremel?

On the netgear its all in the wireless settings page :D

Work with them enough :D

Tags: