1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Mar 2009.

1. TiredGeek

TiredGeek What's a Dremel?

It's a shame you didn't try 2 x Samsung F1 in RAID0 as nowadays most motherboards have the ability to do that and as the drives are over twice as cheap a comparrison would have told a lot......

2. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Agreed. I used to (A long time ago now, when XP was new) boot my system of a 36GB 15k RPM SCSI drive on a U160 bus. That system booted extremely quickly, and while it didn't have the blistering fast data transfer of SATA, it's main rival at the time was DMA133, which it beat with ease.

I was looking at prices on SAS disks here (In Canada) - a Fujitsu 15k 147GB 16MB Cache SAS drive comes to $179. That's not a bad price, and certainly beats out prices for SSDs, but how does the performance stack up? And yes, I know they're noisier than 7200RPM or 10k drives, but it's a higher pitch whine, almost in the inaudible range.

Oh, and "Random R/W"? Sounds like a system boot if ever I heard one. Being optimised for Random R/W means low seek times.

Or, if you can find 'em still, how about an older, cheap U320 15k SCSI drive, on a cheap Adaptec U320 card.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

It sounds like it, but its not. Random R/W means right across the whole disk, boot time activity is pretty localised.

Seek times make surprisingly little difference in desktop systems.

4. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

oops!

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Any of you guys ever reviewed one of Hitachi's 15000RPM drives?

6. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

shame, im just curious how SAS compare to everything else.

7. Denithor

Denithor What's a Dremel?

It's called exchange rate. WD (US company) sells the drives in US$ to European retailers who charge you in £. In the last year the ratio has gone from 1£ = $1.7 to 1£ = $1.3 recently (driving up your cost by ~30%).

Tags: Add Tags