1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What a night - road rage, broken spokes....

Discussion in 'General' started by Hwulex, 13 May 2005.

1. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Unfortunately Hwu, prison guards aren't enough deterant for some people. That's why our prisons are overflowing. I'm just saying you should be careful. One day you might come up against the wrong person. Stay safe man, be cool :)

-H- sums it up nicely.

2. jonesie

jonesie Minimodder

I agree with what you said hwulex but if you're dead (and there are some nutters out there) it doesn't matter if you're right. I hate it when I have to give in to these people, but at least I get home in one piece.

3. sicone

sicone What's a Dremel?

In Hwulex's defence, I do the same in my car. If some arse is going to drive way too close to the back of my car, I slow down for 2 reasons:

1. To annoy them (most get the drift pretty quickly and back off)
    2. If they are going to drive that close to me we might as well be going the correct speed for the braking distance that thay have left.

4. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

I get narked enough when people drive up my bum in me car whilst doing the speed limit so I feel for you!

I do stereotype cyclists to an extent... but it's 2 mains stereotypes...old gits who do ride 2 metres into the road at 4mph wobbling all over the place and 'wannabe racers' on country roads who will never reach decent speeds due to their age and pitiful level of fitness yet still ride in the middle of the road (not on blind bends) - I've no problem with normal cyclists tho, and I always leave a decent distance if I can't get past them :)

I hate road rage!

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

For a driver there's not much else that will piss you off more than a cyclist, sorry but it's true.
    It can be terrifying for the car driver too, you are going along a 60mph road, round a bend and find this cyclist going 20mph (that’s a 40mph difference).
    And half the time they are in the middle of the road, what’s worse are the groups of cyclists that insist in riding side by side, get in single file for gods sake.

I'm sorry but if there is a path that should be used, the road is too dangerous for a cycle tbh.

In saying all that, I don't agree with the way that driver treated you, that was down right dangerous, he should have backed off and waited for a clear passing opertunity.

6. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Exactly. I'm sure most (if not every) car driver here when they get someone right up their arse steps on the brakes. Why do those of you have said I shouldn't be doing it think of me as any different just because I'm a cyclist when I'm sure you do exactly the same thing in a car?

The thing that gets me is that if a car was doing 20 mph round the bend then they'd have no choice. They'd get frustrated, but just lump it and then overtake at a safe point (albeit maybe a little wrecklessly). It's only 'cause I'm a cyclist that they think they have the right to overtake and it's not right. I know it'll never happen, but they should treat me the same. Bah. :blah:

7. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

Firstly, keep cycling down the middle and you will get yourself killed :worried:
    Secondly, why not try and antagonise drivers even more, then we might see you on the news stabbed to death :eeek:
    Thirdy, I hate drivers that can't remove L plates when they are not teaching :grr:

Finally, find a safer way to drive home, and you might live a little longer :sigh:

8. Rolo

Rolo Minimodder

ok sarcasm always comes accross well on the internet ;) just something that i cant really judge and by the rest of your post thought you were being serious, my apologies. Upon that basis was the rest of the sheer disgust towards your post that was portrayed in mine.

No special treatment i agree, but do you drive within 6" of other cars? try and overtake them at every point? no, i dont think any sane person does, if someones doing below the speed limit, you just have to accept it, say 4mph below is standard fora lot of old gits in my area, hell thats pretty fast for them, but you can rarely overtake, especially on narrow/dangerous corners.

Of course, its the heat of the moment, its hard to stay completely composed and therefore mature with the situation. Especially when the person tries to end you on a dangerous corner when theres no need. On an overall perspective in my view i thought he was quite mature about the whole thing, im guessing im comparing it to what he could have done (and what i could have done) in the situation

And thats basically where our indifference comes from, im not subject to as many bikers to you, else i might have a similar, or at least different, opinion.

I think more care needs to be taken with driving overall, as its so easy to kill someone in a car vs car then surely a person on a bike has little to no chance. With the state of many of the people in the UK's driving, its a wonder why they havent already enforced a system whereby you have to retake your test. I have thought about this before id posted, within a week of passing id picked up some majorly bad habits like crossing your hands, the standard ones and the bay check when you get in the car? no more like a music check of what cd im listening to. Its something which will never come to pass, and its unfair to get people to retake a test which is essentially so square and after driving for any length of time its hard to concentrate on keeping you hands "10 to 2" all the time once youve gotten out of the habit. Just by crossing my hands doesnt make me a bad driver, but it would make me fail my test.

underline: Drive safely, dont be a dick, and dont drink and drive. (and hopefully the roads would be a better place)

9. planki

planki ...

i agree with hwulex as another road cyclist cycling around a city you have to take control of the road in certain situations otherwise cars are just going to try and run you over.

I agree with what you chose to do when going up that hill cycling in the middle so cars cannot overtake thats the right thing to do in my opinion but slowing down to 4mph with a car behind, your mad i wouldnt have the bottle to do it.

I cycle round quite a few country lanes with winding roads and tight corners so many times i have almost being taken out by cars pelting it round the corners seeing me seeing the tight bend and oncoming cars bricking it and almost taking me out with their wing mirrors.

one thing that does annoy me is at roundabouts, i will sit there signalling with my arms where i intend to go and at mini roundabouts i will sit in the required lane as appossed to going round the outside of a big roundabout. Car drivers think you are invisible they dont pay any attention to the fact that you are giving way to the right as required looking for oncoming traffic there is none you start pulling out and some idiot cuts you up!!!!

i think car drivers should all be made to cycle around for a bit on the roads and they would see what it is like!

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I think cyclists should be made to pay road tax. :D

11. ajack

ajack rox

That's just an incredibly idiotic generalisation to make.

I agree with what you did, it sucks having to deal with irritating drivers when you've got as much right to be on the road as them and are just protecting yourself (it's slightly easier to dismiss this when you're more safely sat in a car). TBH him getting out was just uncalled for; he didn't acheive anything by it and just wasted both his and your time.

Bet walking home in cleats wasn't fun :D

12. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

crossing your arms doesnt incicate a fail. they cannot fail you for that. but can fail you if crossing your arms affects your steering. ie you go wide or to tight. they teach push pull steering as its easyer for a learner to pick up. i had leanthly discussions/arguments with my driving instructor abotu this.

as for cyclists having to pay road tax i think not. they dont damage the roads or the enviroment. thus should be promoted as good transoprt.there should be more towns like oxford where cyclists dominate the town over cars.

cyclists fall into few catogrys
    the numpty that rides in a low gear meaning his legs peddle away and dont move very far ( i have no patience for and should be taught how to use gears) i will overtake at first opotunity and as quicly as possible.

the MTB'r and the bike enthuseast who has an expencive bike and rides as fast as most cars shoukd go. i have no problem with those and will sit behind them till an opertuntiy ariives for me to overtake them.

13. jonesie

jonesie Minimodder

(What happens if you come round the corner and there's someone/something/debris sitting in the road? No escaping the blame then!)

..or insurance. If it gave me extra rights, I would definitely consider it.

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I know why most drivers get seriously ****ed off at cyclists - they're sloppy, unattentive and rude, but I can see that Hwu's a responsible cyclist with a pretty decent bead on what's a good idea and what's not. Good for you Hwu, that guy was a prat, and pulling down a police car with **** to do, is just not on tbh.
    Unlucky about the wheel though :(.

15. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

The cheek of the guy! he swerves out the way not to squish you as you brake right in front of him and has the nerve to be annoyed at you! He makes a mistake and doesn’t check when pulling out of a road, he sees you and pulls out quickly to get out the way since changing gear and going back in would take longer.

But you feel you need to endanger more lives and cause damage to his van, as he’s made you mad?

Nice one.

Last edited: 13 May 2005
  16. planki

planki ...

me thinks not!!!

//allthough i would if they promised to sort out some of the road surfaces so they werent so lumpy and i could get a bit more speed up!!!

17. bwgames

bwgames Minimodder

I think that has a lot to do with:
    a) its quite a compact city, you can get around without a car, also uni students.
    b) the council ****ed up the 'transport strategy' - its a nightmare to drive around Oxford in a car!

But yeah, the OP, that was kind of stupid aggravating the driver like that, but I can see why you did.
    I tend to try and overtake cyclists as soon as possible, because I don't like following them - they have no brake lights, or anything to indicate that they are slowing down.
    I wouldn't do it anywhere near a bend though!

18. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

pfffft. With the state of our roads? Are you nuts!? :p And besides, I'm not the one that churns them up, and I don't pollute either.

I already pay £120 per year which covers the bike, fixed accessories, personal injury, and liability. :)

19. [Tom]

[Tom] Minimodder

Big :thumb: to you Hwulex. I ride everyday, and being defensive by riding in the middle of the road etc. is all you can do to stay alive a lot of the time. This morning alone I had 3 cars pull out infront of me, with little regard for the fact I was doing well over 20mph (not as much as you I know....but i'm not a roadie hehe). The drivers still didn't see me after I gesticulated a lot to them.

The lorry thing has happened before as well, I had some chav builders cut me up in a flatbed, stop at the lights then proceed to swear, threaten and rev because I pulled up to the front line. The light then went green and I left them for dust until they boxed me into parked cars and narrowly missed killing me.

[Rant]
    After things like this happen every day (and they do for me), how can people say "Cyclists shouldn't be on the roads". I think it's about time drivers learned some manners and the ways of driving safely. Until then, I will do whatever I can to keep myself safe or get even with assholes that challenge that.
    [\End Rant>

20. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

lets all goto the netherlands, eat non-chocolate cakes, and use their fab cycle paths. not to mention the place is so flat it takes less effort.