1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What a waste of a day!!

Discussion in 'General' started by IsaacSibson, 8 Dec 2002.

1. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

I got out of bed this morning.

"C:\windows\system32\config\system not found or corrupt"

Anyone who's had this in NT 5 (2k or XP) knows it's terminal.

So, I spent the rest of the day installing XP twice (first time on another hard disk so I could get files off my old c: drive), and installing all my apps and everything.

Grrrr :sigh: :grr:

2. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

too much of an overclock??

3. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Didn't change a thing.

Just switched off normally, and it did this on boot up. Nothing changed for over 3 months, since that install was originally done.

4. quack

quack Minimodder

I know how you feel Isaac. I had to reinstall XP today also. Two days ago I had the bright idea of taking out the SB Live! I had in this computer and putting my Audigy in.

I uninstalled the LiveWare first, turned the comp off, swapped the cards, booted up, installed drivers off the CD - everything seemed to be ok after a couple reboots. So I got the latest drivers from Creative... rebooted again.

BLUE SCREEN!!!

Tried using System Restore to take me back before I fiddled with any Audigy drivers, but no joy XP was totally screwed now. So this afternoon I said "SOD IT!! I'm reinstalling!!". Booted into Safe Mode and backed everything up, and 2 hours later I was finished reinstalling Windows... and my Audigy works!! Without crashing XP. :lol:

One other good thing to come from this, Windows XP is now on my C: drive instead of being on D: as I was dualbooting but decided I didn't need Windows 2000 anymore.

Windows loves doing 'fun' things like that, once I managed to lose my entire registry somehow between turning it off and back on again.

5. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

I'm ashamed to say that there was a period of time where I knew my WinME cd-key by heart :(

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

ahh yes i know exactly how u feel.

Installed some firewall software last wed cause zone alarm was causing a memory leak and it refused to boot xp. So i try and repair the installation or boot into safe mode but it wasnt having it so i spent the afternoon installing xp again and now my network doesnt work and i cant get it to and i lost all my emails! how ****** was i? probably about as much as u are now id imagine :sigh:

7. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Man, I know what you mean, I hate re-installs!!!
    Nowadays though I just set up my system once and then create an image, so re-installs take about 15 minutes :rock:

8. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

I have to install Windows every few weeks or so, as it breaks down beyond repair.

One time on my friend's computer, WIndows 2000 decided it would take his two partitions and turn them into complete junk. ALl his files and folders got turned into random characteres and all the files corrupted.

Also Isaac, I've had my Windows 2000 recover from that error.

I just rebooted and it was fine.

Although having a Thunderduck 1.4GHz overclocked to 2GHz will cause Windows to not be able to find NTOSKRNL.EXE :hehe:

That was a fun LAN..........

I'm sorry, but I have to say I have no sympathy when people have to re-install their OSes, as they grumble about having to do it for the second time this year and I just stare at them like :eeek: cuz I'm lucky if I can go a month without re-installing Windows. ALthough I have had it actually last a bit for me. Actually since I started overclocking Windows has lasted a bit over two months now...... :eyebrow:

9. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Hmmmm... sounds familiar.... my XP decided not to boot up one day after a perfectly normal shutdown!!! :idea:

10. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

There is an upside though...

New install allowed me to solve a lot of problems. For some reason the last install had always been a little flaky, but this one seems much more solid, as I was much more careful about how I installed software, updates and hardware.

Hopefully this one will last a little better...

11. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Or sometimes Windows just installs itself all slagged up :hehe:

Just make sure you install your chipset drivers first.......... :worried:

Boy that wasn't cool.....

WARNING! YOU HAVE NO MOTHERBOARD!

"wah....?"

:eeek:

12. khonsu

khonsu What's a Dremel?

I just backed up my files yesterday,
    and completely formatted and re-installed windows.
    now it is working perfectly as the only software that is
    on my computer now is the one that I use. Untill I actually start
    using the software I have is the time when I actually install
    on my computer.

One of the guys that I got my computer of formats and re-installs
    his computer every fortnight just so nothing bad happens.

I really want to get linux at this particular point but I am so used to windows I don't want to switch lol :)

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

I reinstalled just the other day, but it was because of serious probs with speed of windows, was being sluggish (even more than normal) amongst other things, and there was driver conflicts on there too :)

14. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

i try and reinstall every 2months or so, as i find windows will get sluggish for no particular reasons...

when my windows on my2nd machine boots faster then my main one with the wd hdd, i know its time for a format...

15. VadimtheConqueror

VadimtheConqueror I love the little tacos...

i tend to format every 6-8 weeks. between june 20th and september 3rd, i made the switch from 98 to xp, then i reinstalled xp a few weeks later, then about a week later i decided i needed to format again, why i cant remember. then i had the error you were talking about, so i formatted again, then just before school started i had to format again for the same reason.

since then i've switched to win2k, and installed that maybe three times.

16. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I have only had XP for a few months, and have reinstalled about 5 or 6 times. Grr.

My first reload, as because I had swapped out mobos, 2nd was becaue I installed the WinXP Geforce 4 drivers (they corrupted my HD!), and so on.

I just reloaded XP, and it has major problems. I'm going to redo direct x, before I try to reload again.

Feature wise, though, XP rules.

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

I had too many problems in my first install of it, so I never installed it again :p

18. Hwulex

Hwulex What's a Dremel?

I've only ever had that System error once, and that was when my RAID b0rked.

Been perfect for me apart from that :)

19. AW3K

AW3K What's a Dremel?

I had the very same error a few times , rebooted and it was fine each time. :sigh: whats up with it?

How many times can you reinstall windows that have been activated before MS start getting dodgy?

i had problems with my audigy, crashing when sound was playing. went to creatives site and downloaded the new drivers and same for my gf4 and was fine, no more crashing.

but still don't know about that error. :wallbash:

AW3K

20. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

The 2nd time I reactivated, I had to call M$. I gave the poor lady an earful about what a load of bull this was, and what a pain it was to have to call and talk to people like her...

I have not had to call again, online reactivation has been reenabled for my copy of XP!

I have also done this for my copy of Office 2000. I get so fed up with having to call and recite a stupid number that changes every time I had a problem...

Hehe, who said that being a pain in the neck won't get you anywhere?