1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What a waste of a day!!

Discussion in 'General' started by IsaacSibson, 8 Dec 2002.

1. Adam

Adam Minimodder

I know you're probably getting a bit tired of me saying this but GET LINUX!!!!!!! My gentoo install has none of those problems, all of the available software is either as good or better than the Windows compatible equivalents, it's faster, more stable, and more fun to use (if you're sad like me). I was with XP until a few months ago putting up with all of the little niggles mentioned above as when I had tried older linux distro's I just couldn't get a system to match the usability of XP. But then I found out how much linux has improved when I installed Gentoo.

If you're worried about getting to grips with it, can I suggest you do what I did. Wipe the hard drive on your main box (after backing up your files), then start the gentoo install. That way you can't just run back to Windows at the slightest hint of a problem, and eventually you WILL fix it. Worked for me, now my system is perfect and I wouldn't even consider going back to Windows.

/me STFUs.

EDIT: Btw I have also converted icecube and he's just as happy so I'm not the only exception to the rule that you can't use linux as your main OS.

2. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

This may seen a dumb and argumeniteve (I'm to lazy to sheck the spelling on this) question, but how would you run all the "good" games on linux? Also, I've heard that linux doesn't have very good hardware support as well.

Ok, I have travled wayyyyyyyyy off topic, sorry mods :blush:

It looks like I'll need to reload XP anyway, direct x reinstall didn't work :(

At least I don't have to call those dumbbells at M$!!

3. Adam

Adam Minimodder

A lot of games will run under WineX. Admittedly I'm not a big gamer so I haven't tried, but I've read a lot about it and it does work. Hardware support for standard hardware isn't a problem. I've yet to find a NIC that is not supported, the OSS project supports most soundcards etc. My very odd digital camera has native support in Gphoto, so no doubt yours will have too. What more could you ask?

I installed VMware in case I needed to use Windows but so far I honestly haven't used it once. I have a win98 pc especially for making win98 boot disks for customers '98 installs but that's all I use Windows for now.

4. quack

quack Minimodder

ARGH!! I just turned on my other computer and got the same exact error message as Isaac!

/me kicks Windows XP hard in the family jewels.

Ah well, that computer needed reinstalling anyway... and it can wait till tomorrow after work. I really can't be arsed doing it tonight.

5. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Maybe you'd all have better luck with Linux :eeek:

As of now, I have all my hardware working in Linux by the way. Well I haven't tried my digicam yet, so I don't know, but I have yet to try using it under Linux.

Using WineX you can get ANY Windows program runnign within Linux. Not just games.

Also the only kind of sudden death error (a la Isaac's problem) that I've ever had with Linux was when I lost power to my computer, and I was using the EXT-2 filesystem, and I didn't have my back up battery. The file system corrupted on me.

Now when I go mucking about with things..... Then I start getting problems... It's fun seing what happens when you unmount the root partition while it's in use then try to do anything :naughty:

6. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Linux BLAH BLAH BLAH...

I've used linux quite a lot.

And I HATE it.

It's a stupid mismash of ill-fitting bits. If you're going to use a unix, use a proper one, like FreeBSD, IRIX, Solaris or AIX.

7. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

The only probs I have had with XP have been down to crappy drivers. The worst culprits are

CREATIVE (great cards, appalling drivers, I installed the drivers for my Soundblaster Live! Platinum and it promptly told XP (which was using default drivers just fine) that no XP was wrong and it was actually a Soundblaster Live! Value and disabled my Live! drive)

NVIDIA && ATI (at the mo they will just about run ok on their own, but put them in the same vicinity and all hell breaks loose)

Other than that its rock solid and reliable. I see no point in running Linux (87% of sheep use Windows, 5% of black sheep use macs, 5% more woolly sheep use Linux... I choose not to be a sheep, I choose to be different and choose to use Windows).

8. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Yeah be happy with your Windows then.

But, uh.. James, um.. Yo usaid 87% of sheep use Windows, and you say you choose not to be a shepp and use Windows... Your kind of condradicting yourself.....

ALthough Drivers do suck bullocks for everything. I have to disagree slightly with Creative though, they don't make very good sound cards, nor do they make very good drivers for them.

9. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Why does using linux make me wooly?

As for XP I have to agree that it is a stable OS in everyday use, but it was the funny behavior exactly as described in this thread that made me run into the arms on Gentoo. I've seen far too many dead XP installs in my time as a freelance computer consultant (posh self appointed title) to be anywhere near happy with XP. It is however my favourite Microsoft OS, and is the best of a bad bunch. Linux is still FAR from perfect, but it does exactly what I tell it, nothing more, nothing less. Because of that fact alone, linux is not for everyone. It does require a lot of effort, but is also very rewarding when you get things right.

With regard to Isaac's comment about using a "proper" unix, I'm still getting to grips with linux but I'm planning on trying FreeBSD at least, and if the grass IS greener I will convert once again. For anyone who is not familiar, Gentoo uses a very FreeBSD-esque ports system, which many people have argued is BETTER than the BSD equivalent which I forget the name of.

10. Loz

Loz Blah Blah

I used to have all these problems with 98, but since I switched to 2k a while back things have been ok.

I'd LOVE to use Linux, but I find that Xfree86 + my graphics card + my monitor do NOT get along well.
    I've only had them working once, and even then 3D support was borked.

I did try FreeBSD for a while. I could never get a GUI to run (or even install for that matter). As much as I love the console, I need a GUI for surfing etc ;)

I've been trying to dual-boot for a while, but none of the installations detect my NTFS partition and I'm not willing to get rid of it (As good as WineX is, it isnt up to 2k standards for running games).

11. Adam

Adam Minimodder

I know not everyone has the money, I sure don't any more, but the answer to this is to have a second Windows XP box for games only. You must only use it for games though otherwise you will never take the time to get to grips with linux. On the flipside of this, what you must NOT do is install Linux on a "junk computer" to "learn it" otherwise it just won't happen. You will get fed up, through no fault of linux, but because you will be fed up with using the computer itself. All of what I say is from personal experience, so no flames please.

12. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

Notice the different words, USE and CHOOSE. I may use Windows, but I have chosen to use it, rather than just use because of mindless sheepdom. There isn't a better operating system currently for my purposes. There is no need for me to switch to Linux, so doing so would just be giving over to the power of the sheep. I would rather run OS/2, but as that is woefully out of date its not an option, :)

I was looking for a different kind of sheep, :)

13. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Oh I see, you were splitting hairs. I was looking at Windows sheep, Linux Sheep and stupid sheep :p (just kidding, but I still don't like Macs).

Yeah okay.

Whatever. I'm not in the mood for a Linux VS Windows thread, so........

*swoosh*

14. Loz

Loz Blah Blah

As soon as I can afford it, I'm going to get a second hard drive and new graphics card, then take the plunge. I'd love to have a second machine, but I'm currently unemployed and cashless.
    It isn't just games either unfortunatly, I also need other windows specific apps (e.g. VB, which I'm not too keen on anyway) for college.

I just had an idea for getting my partitions to work, so this post ends here :D

15. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Although I'm running WinXP on my main rig for the multimedia benefits, IMO you can't beat a nice clean Win2k install updated to the eyeballs and with the 128bit Cipher installed.

Our office network at home ran on win 98 and the main machine had to be rebooted about 10 times a day, so last krimbo I spent about a week setting up Win2K on 4 Machines and setting up a Logical network drive on them all, setting up scheduled weekly backups ETC

The change is amazing! The main machine (which is used daily for office programs, travelmanager etc) has been switched on and online for about 140 days now!! It's amazing! It still runs as if it's just been switched on! The only reason it was re-booted 140 days ago was because we had a new fax printer, otherwise it would be nearer 365 days uptime...

16. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

I agree with Phat on Windows, of the fetid things, 2000 is the best in my opinion. It's actually the only one that works. XP won't connect to the internet with my connection (really weird fetid DSL) and anything lower than that doesn't support my video card.

Also XP is just fetid and evil. Microsquat uses it to make you sterile so that Bill Gates doesn't have to worry about anyone growing up to start a company that will overthrow Microsquat's reign of horror. :eeek:

Also Sepherus, I remember having only a working Linux installation, and I had to have a major program due for my programming class, it was also in VB ( :grr: ) and I jsut installed VMWare, and I could run VB perfectly fine in my Linux. WHich took a lot less time than tryign to install and setup Windows again.

VMWare is really easy to set up, but unfortunately isn't free (well there's a free trial, but...) and it takes a really powerful computer to run the virtual machine at any kind of reasonable speed. As you ahve to remember, it is emualting an entire computer, except for RAM. Otherwise it is all software emulated CPU, video card, and other devices. ALthough it does share RAM, and if you don't have at elast 512 MB, your pretty screwed.

17. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

18. Loz

Loz Blah Blah

Ahh, excellent. That'll come in useful, thanks :D
    Unfortunately, everything works but Xfree86 (as usual :grr: ) so it looks like I'll be sticking with windows for a while yet :wallbash:

~Sepherus

19. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

HAHA. XFree86, oh how fun it is to dance the death dance with that thing. WHat distro you trying out? Feel free to contact me (see my sig) if you want any help. I've bashed (quite literally) XFree86 into ground getting it working.

20. Adam

Adam Minimodder

While I admit it's a lot better with 512mb, it's perfectly usable on 256 for me running seti in the background as well as X, fluxbox, xmms etc and XP on the virtual machine.

--------------------------

Btw sorry for being so argumentative last night, I'm not one of those mad linux zealots who won't even give Windows a chance. I think really that linux is an OS for people who don't mind going to extra mile with config in return for a substantial reward at the end of it. I am a self confessed geek and for me it is great, but for people who don't class themselves as geeks maybe Bill's thrills are more up your street

:rock:

I'm Adam Smith