1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what are these things

Discussion in 'General' started by kh15, 29 May 2004.

1. kh15

kh15 What's a Dremel?

2. Carbon

Carbon Banned

They do look like hdd platters but it seems odd that they would just be in a box like that and not in either a hdd or a vacuum sealed container

3. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

they look like hdd platters, however look at the marks on them, and the waythere stacked! they would be of little use now :)

4. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

They do not look like hard-drive platters to me, they look to big, wrong colour, and there is no mounting holes for them. But i have no idea what they are.

5. Renko

Renko What's a Dremel?

toilet seat covers?

first thing that came into my head when I saw them.. :worried:

6. Ben

Ben What's a Dremel?

they look to big for a hard drive platters.

what are they made of

Ben

7. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

Pah, they look like the (very) old 14" mainframe disk drive platters. These come from an era before most of the people on these boards were born (excepting me and a handfull of others :worried: ) They used to hold a whopping 28mb.

linky

8. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

They aren't hdd platters, seem too big and made of the wrong material. Not really sure what they are though tbh....

9. logan

logan flashback!

Not too big to be old mainframe HD platters - but pretty sure they're not - as they wouldn't be stored like that.

Seem to remeber seeing them in a textbook during my A-Levels - but can't remember wht they're called. Think they were used similarly to those big ol reel-to-reel tapes you see in quality films like the italian job.

(So basically a huge floppy for mainframes ?) Correct me if I'm wrong - which I probably am... you may have noticed I'm floundering a bit here.

However, if you want an idea of what to do with them now...

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Perhaps a very early version of optical disc?

11. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Agree here.. they look just like the things my dad used to load into their old mainframes, except the'd come directly on a spindle.

12. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

They ARE old mainframe platters. It didn't matter so much that you scratched them back in them days because the tracks on them were so damn big anyway. (hence the size and stupidly small space)

13. k3nn

k3nn What's a Dremel?

There very old floppy discs of a sort i think.

14. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Phat said it right, they are HDD platters. I work with these everyday, or more correctly, work next to the people that work with these everyday. You see, if the military's eyes, if an old technology still does the job, they hesitate to get rid of it. These are mounted about 5 high on spindles that are removable from the drives. These "packs" as they are called, are stored in plastic cases with a large handle mounted in the top. You simply open the lid of the drive (it stands about waist high) and lower these into it, twist the handle and lift the case up, leaving the platters on their spindle in the drive, close the lid and away it goes. Its loud, slow, and cumbersome, but somewhat sturdy and reliable. The only reason they are starting to be replaced at my work is that the circuit cards for the drives are no longer available...so every time some circuit blows, they have to be repaired or rebuilt by hand, a very expensive procedure you can imagine. CD's are finally replacing them...slowly.

We also work with 9 track tape drives. You know, the big reel-to-reel drives you see in old sci-fi movies...and the last Terminator when they reached their shelter.

Anyway, what you have there are the platters to one of the first removable hard drives made. They are sturdy and scratches are not as deadly to them, hence the packing method.

Any other old school questions?

15. JinkzUK

JinkzUK What's a Dremel?

thick ****s, check the image name!

hometown.aol.com/kh54231/myhomepage/hdd%20platers.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US

16. mushky

mushky gimme snails

thats what kh15 thought that they were. thats why he called the jpeg that.
    check the image name, its located on his free aol webspace ;)

17. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

smashie is right.listen to him :wallbash: