1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink What are you currently drinking?

Discussion in 'General' started by sp4nky, 15 Apr 2012.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I think you will find that that is apple flavoured paraffin.

MadGinga likes this.
  2. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

If you want good/strong flavoured cider then your best bet is to look for local brewers.
    Found this map of pubs in your fair city if you want to try some ciders out...

Brands that are at least half decent are Saxby's (they do appear in national supermarkets), Old Mout, & Rekorderlig - the latter two are more associated with fruit ciders than plain ol' (mainly apples) cider - but are worth a go for flavour.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Cheers Martin will have look tomorrow. Strangely from pretty much drinking 7 days a week pre cancer days I cannot remember when I was last in a pub. So it will need to be what I can find in my local off licence or supermarket.

Last edited: 13 Oct 2017
  4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

After finding the Aldi Glen Marnoch Islay was rather lovely at any price, let alone £17.50, decided to try a selection of the others...

[​IMG]

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

For shop bought stuff, try Henry Westons vintage. It's a bit strong alcohol wise, but tasty.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

A lot of small brewers deliver...

For readily-available stuff, Westons or Thatchers are probably your best bet...

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks will gave a look.

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Trying a new espresso today, which is quite nice itself, but this the circumstances around getting it entertained me even more.

The shop I get it from has retail packages of 350g, but I buy the kilo commercial bags - just needs a quick call to the roastery to get them to pop a bag behind the counter for me to pick up, easy peasy.

I forgot to pick some up at the weekend, so wanted to sort it out today first thing. I had a conf call first thing, but my colleagues dropped me a message to let me know they would be a few minutes late, I had already opened the call, but I thought I would take the few minutes to call up and get some coffee sorted to go pick up after.

My colleagues dialled in sooner than I expected, and caught the tail end of my conversation on the other phone that went something like:
    "Right then, kilo of the Costa Rican. Yeah, usual price, sounds good. I'll be over to pick it up in a bit, see you then"

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Petrol, in a 50:1 mix, or rather my chainsaws are drinking through my supply having to cut all these damn trees!

10. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

[​IMG]

Connemara Peated Irish Whiskey. Now, they spell it with an 'e' so we're off to a rocky start, but this is a really phenomenal drink. It's not shouty like some of the younger/NAS Islays I am partial to, so it was really easy to drink straight, unlike the Islays, which almost always require a drop or two of water. Ok, so it wasn't a smoke bomb like an Ardbeg or a Laphroaig QC, but the peat was there and nicely balanced with the other flavours. I was worried I would miss the medicinal, salty smoke of my usual Islays but whatever's going on here works. The aftertaste ("finish" if you want to be fancy) is a bit bland and the final drying moments of each sip are somewhat astringent (cannot think of another word to describe it), but really a solid whiskey overall. Especially for the price, which was so low I cannot even remember the figure. I'm usually shopping in the £50-60 range per 70cl – Ardbeg Uigeadail, Laphroaigs, Caol Ilas, Lagavulins of various hues, etc etc – and this was I think £30 or thereabouts, which is a steal!

The only down side is my friends enjoyed it too, and we demolished the bottle in one sitting, so now I have to find more (bought this at Heathrow, and it's not available anywhere in India, not even at airports).

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

A thoroughly shite latte on the ferry home.

Bloody choppy waters tonight - they nearly cancelled the crossing.

12. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Merrydown Cider :)

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Very rarely find this in stores, lovely stuff.

[​IMG]

14. Behemoth

That looks rather good, where did you get that from ?

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

A nearby Tesco. There's about 4 Tesco stores near me; every now and then I happen to find it stock in one of them, but every time I go out looking for it the store I pick never has it in stock!

Could probably order it online... but that would require planning in advance! :grin:

16. Behemoth

If I see any next time I go shopping I shall grab myself a few bottles. 660 ML bottles which is pretty much a pint and a bit :)

How much was it ? £2 a bottle ?

Byron C likes this.
  17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

£2 per 660ml bottle or £5.25 for 3.

Behemoth likes this.
  18. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

19. Behemoth

Thats a good deal then, can't get three pints for that in pubs round here :)

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Nor here. Cheapest pub I've been in lately was doing Cornish pale ales for around £3.40.