1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music What are you listening to?

Discussion in 'General' started by KingofHearts, 14 Jan 2005.

1. Siberdine

Siberdine Safety Not Guaranteed.

I don't listen to very much heavy metal, but this song is pretty awesome. I mainly listen to House/Trance, but I also do listen to artists like Metallica, Alice in Chains, Rage against the Machine, AC/DC, and Iron Maiden. This song also happens to be in Doom :rock:

2. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

I disagree with what is now in bold. In Flames' last good album in my opinion was Clayman, and nothing they have written ever can top The Jester Race. And my argument against Metallica... St. Anger.

Also, just putting this out there... some of my favorite bands are pretty obscure(as far as my town goes anyways...) I dont think anyone else in Walla Walla has even heard of some of these bands(besides my girlfriend because I make her listen to them haha)
    Seriously though, Sylosis, Anterior, and Stigma are 3 of my favorite bands, and they are for the most part, lesser known.

Edit: Listening to Sylosis - The Fate of Vultures

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I hear you, Chimny.
    However, you can not possibly say that St. Anger (for example) was more mainstream. If anything, it was a step away from Black/Load/Reload.
    It was more 80's thrash than the previous couple of albums. That makes it LESS mainstream. And Still, it's one of the "mainstream" bands.

Same goes for In Flames - A sense of Purpose and Come Clarity had some of the heaviest riffing on it that they've written...

Another example of a band that went "Mainstream" would be Slayer. And there's no denying that World Painted Blood is a KILLER of an album.

4. hyder

hyder horrible horrible horrible

I love metal arguments!

I would like to wade in with some Bold Statements(TM)

Slayer have always been rubbish (except Haunting the Chapel and Reign in Blood ofc) and have become pastiches of grim metal shite.

Megadeths best album is Endgame?I just died. Seriously, you are only allowed to choose between Peace Sells and Rust in Peace. And Megadave certainly did sell out for a while - RISK? There is even dance remix of Crush 'Em

In Flames have certainly made their music more accessible - you must admit that.

Maiden have probably become less and less mainstream with increasingly long and epic tracks.

Laaz Rockits Nothing $acred is the best thrash album ever.

Currently listening to: Steely Dan - Showbiz Kids

chimmy09 likes this.
  5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Bold indeed... You're wrong, though. :D Slayer is awesome. I won't argue with Reign in blood, But surely, south of heaven and God hates us All should be on the list of all time great metal albums.

They did go into almost-pop music for a while. No arguing that. Endgame being best they did is purely subjective (also note "Probably"). One thing's for sure. it hasn't gotten "Crappier", as some of the "Mainstream makes music suck" argumenters would claim. Au contraire, they went back to thrash music, and with substantially more conviction than they have in the last couple of albums. Hell. they did it with more conviction than Metallica did it since 1987 or so.

VERY arguable. I would say Clayman, for example is super melodic, mellow and accessible. Sure, they also did the "pop-thing" with Soundtrac to your escape, but the last two albums had some genuinely heavy tracks on it (Take this life, for one).

Maiden have become less and less mainstream because (apparently up to now, I hear good things about the new album) they couldn't follow up Brave New World (which, BTW was one of their great albums)

I guess my point is that Mainstream and good musicianship are related, but inveresely: Good musos stay mainstream. Bad musos come and go.

Currently listening to: Witchery - Witchkrieg (the album)

6. chimmy09

to be honest... I can never say that I have enjoyed anything slayer has ever done. There is just something about Kerry King that makes them unenjoyable to me(that, and the vox sound like shite... Dave Lombardo is win, though)

An example of a band becoming more accessible is All That Remains. Overcome has waaaay more clean vox and is a lot catchier(for lack of a better term) than The Fall of Ideals. I'm not saying that the musicianship isn't still amazing, I'm just saying they took a noticeable shift in their direction.
    Anyways, I think a large part of the "mainstream curse" is that now the bands made it big, they think that they don't have to try as hard to please the crowds, which eventually results in a more generic sound, and less originality in the songwriting.

Currently listening to: Dissection - Soulreaper

7. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

All that remains are an interesting band in my eyes, Im a fan of them and have been for a long time since i saw em live with firewind about 4 years ago now. And I personly prefer The Fall of ideals to overcome but thats just me.

I saw em live when they toured for Overcome and they were amazing as was to be expected, I just dont like as many songs on the overcome album compared to the fall of ideals. Which i can easily listen start to finish.

@bent ant on the topic of inflames in my opinion com clarity is the album that sort of pushed in flames massivly into the mainsteam almost too much, As i had seen not alot of media attention of the band untill I saw the video for take this life then they seemed to take off. Loads of people I know who had never heard of them before that song suddenly adored them

8. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

9. Hypnosam

Hypnosam Minimodder

Jesus Christ - Brand New.

This has got to be one of my favorites.

10. K

K 528491

Metal arguments?

tl;dr

11. Fiyero

Fiyero Vindaloovian

Ahhh good ol' metal banter. I do love metal, however I'm listening to ATB - 9pm right now.

12. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Been listening to dubstep, 3OH!3, Audioslave, Parkway Drive, August Burns Red and Underoath recently...so a fair mix.

13. Bumfluff101

Bumfluff101 Minimodder

The Zutons "Pressure Point", Metallica "Hero of the Day", Bush "Comedown" and my guilty pleasure Glee "Dream On"

14. chimmy09

I agree on the All That Remains business, and as for In Flames, Guitar Hero is what did that. Take this Life was on Guitar Hero 3 as a bonus song. This is not to say that Guitar Hero ruins everything. Buckethead was in Guitar Hero 2, but nobody really looked past Jordan, and he continues to put out excellent material, and even after joining GNR he has managed to stay relatively obscure.

Currently listening to Insomnium - The Gale

15. will of fortune

will of fortune What's a Dremel?

Remembered hearing one of DJ Champions songs from a riding video ages ago, heard it again on a Borderlands trailer on steam so thought I would investigate what his others songs sound like. I have a new favorite album.

Last edited: 18 Aug 2010
    Ficky Pucker likes this.
  16. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

BLACK MY HEARTTTTTTT!!!

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Wuthering Height - Desperate Poet (Pirate metal... :D )

18. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

Everlong- Foo Fighters

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Nile - 4th Arra of Dagon

"Those whom the gods detest" is a kick in the teeth of an album

20. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011