1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What battery for Bathroom Mirror?

Discussion in 'General' started by dynamis_dk, 2 May 2014.

1. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

So my girlfriend purchased a bathroom mirror which she didn't previously plan on having and would like to use the lamp which is in it however because all the work in the walls has been completed I said we could maybe look to have a rechargeable battery pack of some kind powering an LED based lamp.

The existing fitting uses G4 20w bulbs and I've seen plenty of replacement bulbs available on ebay so I'm sure that is covered, however I'm wondering what batteries are safe for use in a bathroom long term?

Is there some kind of battery pack which is suitable for humid / warm environments?

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I can think of various sealed battery packs, though the electrical contacts are still exposed and those are what will corrode (first). Maybe seal the battery pack in an airtight container and run the wires through holes that are then filled in with epoxy or silicon? Anything like a li-ion pack will work fine, just choose a suitable voltage and maybe include a voltage meter to monitor it's status ( typical max temp for lithium batts is upto ~110-120°f / 50°C ).

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Knock a hole behind the mirror instead?:D

4. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

5. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

No seal I'm afraid, there's a plastic cover which will go some way to helping but its was more for the battery being damaged by the humidity with it being a shower room rather then anything else. I plan to seal the battery connection to the light which is a push fit to help prevent the terminal rusting up. Its a downstairs bathroom so will mainly be used by guests but I figure if I'm going to do it might as well do it best I can lol.