1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Bike? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General' started by Fowler, 23 Mar 2003.

1. Fowler

Fowler mmm Cosworth

Well Ive actually made a decision in my life, Im currently learning to drive but because I intend to go t university im not going to buy a car as I think itl be a waste of money as il have to sell it again. So after I finish my driving I want to learn to ride a bike.

Now a few things, I know there not as safe but they are cheaper insurance wise if ur sensible so I c it as a better idea, but I dont know jack **** about bikes and whats good so it would be great if some of u guys could give me a hand! (SilverBullet :p )

Oh and is it easy to ride a bike with gears? I know it is an automatic as ive been on one but will it be tough to pass or not?

:naughty:

oh and im into scooters and superbikes really, none of this dirt bike boy 50cc screemin rubbish, cant stand it!

;) Fire Away

2. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Phew. For a second there I thought you were talking about pedal bikes :p... In that case, I've no idea. :D

3. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

if u can drive a standard car, there isnt much of a difference to driving a motorbike. There arent any auto transmissions for big biked like their are for small ones I dont think. Anyhow, I'd want a rice rocket. Probaly something larger than 600cc.

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

5. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Banned

Arghhhh you started 1 of these threads lol.

Right, i now tell you the basics around Bikes

Right Foot = Rear Brake
    Right Hand = Front Brake
    Left Hand = Clutch
    Left Foot = Gears

The Lowest position on the gear level is 1st, the next is neutrel, then the next is 2nd etc.

When changing down gears, its way better to pull in and release the clutch for each gear, you can not go from say 4ft to 1st in 1 gear change like you can in a car.

They have Sesquinstal (sp?) GearBox.

Now ask me again about any more things yo uneed to know etc.

On bikes side, if you going straight for a 125CC to learn on, the bike Atomic Suggested is nice, ive looked at it. Im going to be puchasing soon, a CG125, as im gettingpissed off with having my 50cc scooter, and need gears.

Other good bikes, but not as good for learners are @ Yamaha DT125, Hondas XL 125cc, both motorcross bikes.

Sports 125cc's i would not recommend as they are a bitch to learn on.

But if you have to, the Cagavi Mito, and Aprillia RS125, are the best of that bunch.

Ask again any more Questions.

6. Fowler

Fowler mmm Cosworth

7. Fowler

Fowler mmm Cosworth

thanks silver, im gonna get my CBT under my belt before I do anythin as I dont want to be stuck with a 50cc, they sound awful!

8. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

I did my cbt on a 50 cc it was terrible it wouldnt go over 30 mph.

9. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

i get 55-60 at a reap push on my 50cc twist & go scooter

10. Cool Hand

Cool Hand King of the park

for your first bike i would recomend a nice 500-650 v twin...easy to drive yet plenty fast till you get used to more.....once you get used to that, pick yourself up a nice vfr800 and you'l be a happy man....at least when your bikeing...

11. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Banned

Coolhand in the UK, you have tot drive a bike off no more than 33hp for 2 years, before you can drive 500-600cc bike.