1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What board for 754 Semp?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neo2Neo, 29 Sep 2006.

1. Neo2Neo

Neo2Neo What's a Dremel?

I Got a 2800+ semp and msi K8N Neo boaqrd but cant seem to get the fsb/htt past 239, i reckon its the boards fault so thinking abotu getting a Abit NF8-V

Any views on this board or can anybody suggest a good overclocking board as this thing is slower than my 2.3ghz barton....

2. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:thumb: I've personally used the original MSI K8N (Neo2 AGP and Neo4 PCI-E) and they are both great mobos, certainly the Neo4 (K8N Neo4 Platinum). However MSI released quite a few variants, so it's anybody's guess really. Are you familiar with A64 o/c'ing? Have you avoided unlocked SATA ports, dropped the RAM ratio and dropped the HTT Multiplier to 3x? You can even drop the CPU multiplier (in integers) and isolate the max 'FSB' (HT) your mobo can achieve. Have you had to add a little voltage to the CPU yet or just kept the default voltage?

3. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

DFI nF3 250GB, its got more overclocking options than you could ever want and with a little active cooling it can produce some impressive overclocks.

4. Neo2Neo

Neo2Neo What's a Dremel?

I dont understand what you mean by "Have you avoided unlocked SATA ports"..?

I have adjusted the ram ratio to /10 - So at the moment its running at 192mhz and I've upped the voltage and dropped the HTT Multi,

I cant seem the adjust the multiplier there is no setting in the bios - I am Using the MSI K8N Neo Platinum rev 1 (i think) with newest bios, could the bios be my problem?

It just wont seem to go over 239 HTT whatever settings i choose it seems to lock going into windows, i got good cooling 40 c load,

Any more info on the Sata port would be great, i have read that these procs are multi locked, can i get round this?

5. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:thumb: Commonly nForce4 mobos have 4 SATA ports but only 2 of them are locked (ie they stay at default speed regardless of any HT o/c). If you plug into the unlocked SATA ports when you o/c you either get instability or HD corruption. You'll have to look into it for specifics about your mobo (eg Google).

6. Neo2Neo

Neo2Neo What's a Dremel?

Ok i think i understand, its simular to the agp/pci lock, mobo has got 4 port i have my OS HDD in Sata 1, i guess theres no harm in trying it in 3.

I don't mean to sound cheeky but its a nforce3 mobo that im talking about but i presume there fairly alike. :blah:

It does sound l;ike my prob as the board posts and boots but windows locks at log on.. i'll try it now cheers guys!!

Also Abit Af8-v or MSI K8N Neo??? What would you buy?

Last edited: 3 Oct 2006
  7. Neo2Neo

Neo2Neo What's a Dremel?

Umm, i came across a little problem...

The mobo got over 250 HTT with the HDD in Port 3 i turned all settings down so i could sere what max i could get and tried 260 the board booted up got to a screen for the raid setup (even though i dont have one) and stalled so i rebooted but nothing no post nothing...

Tried all the usual reseting CMOS taking out the battery tried all differant mem in other slots, and other suggestions before i give up an RMA..

8. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:confused: 250 to 260 is quite a jump but it wouldn't be likely to cause total failure to POST. Try taking it all back to basic components. No HD etc; just CPU, mobo, RAM & gfx (as basic as possible). Maybe try a different PSU if possible too.

9. Neo2Neo

Neo2Neo What's a Dremel?

Tried all but no go me think it a dead duck, gonna try out the Abit KV8 Pro-3rd Eye see what this sucker is like will be my first Non-Nvidia board, any comments?? Or should i ge the Abit NF8-V, nForce3 250Gb?

Would like to get the dfi but i kind alike shopping at koplett and they dont got it in stock...

10. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

maybe its just me being used to my board but i wouldnt call 260 that high,

i run my board at a constant 280HTT. it gives me a clock speed of 2520mhz. and is perfectly stable and has been for about 3 months, i can go up to 290 but its a bit shaky and not worth the risk.

the board is an asrock K8NF4G- sata2. its only a cheapy board but it has got nforce 4, 2 sata plugs, pci-ex16 and you can lock the pci slots from the overclocking. does the job for me anyway, may be worth a look its dirt cheap on ebay. the cpu i use is a sempron 3100+, one of the 64 bit ones tho not the older style.

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

He's using a Sempron, S754, they aren't designed for overclocking....

12. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

so am i

[​IMG]

13. Neo2Neo

Neo2Neo What's a Dremel?

So you think it may be the proc that fried on me?

14. Neo2Neo

Neo2Neo What's a Dremel?

I read somewhere that these semps were supposed to be wicked for o/cing mabey not the 2800+ but hey they're all the same anyway :eek:

That board sounds good but i got a (or should that be an) AGP graphics card.

Never knew you could get the 745 with nForce 4. (Is this the same as nForce 410)

15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The NF4 that is in the K8N is the NF4-4X limited HTT I believe.

Sorry M4RTIN, hard to read minds from the internet.

Remember that the lower the CPU rating, the worse the testing results, you may get kucky and get a downgraded one because of excess stock. But unlikely.

16. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

17. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:D nForce4-4X is a little handicapped but in practice it seems to make no difference at all, very decent chipset (as is nForce3-250GB). On 754 I would recommend sticking to one of those chipsets, just be sure to research info on any mobo you're considering. A64 based Semprons are most likely to be A64 which had some faulty cache and as such have had some of it disabled (and on older ones 64bit extensions too). This doesn't affect perf much at all and may even allow the CPU to run cooler and hence clock better on average than a full A64. From what I heard (a good while back) the A64 Semprons tend to either clock well or hardly at all ... but they're so cheap you can sell a poor o/c'er off and try another one with minimal penalty.

18. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

they certainly are cheap, mine cost £35 brand new and now with overclocking is performing the same as my previous A64 3800+ which i sold for £170 :D