1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What car to buy for up to 7k?

Discussion in 'General' started by firestarter03, 23 Jun 2013.

1. firestarter03

firestarter03 What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I am looking for some suggestions for what car to buy next. I have just sold my 2006 Fabia vRS 1.9 PD TDI which I know is a very popular recommendation on this forum. It was a good car to drive but I can't say I was happy with it due to the amount of problems I had with mostly the water system (radiator, water pump, thermostat, expansion tank/cap etc.) and some other things such as EGR, CV gaitor etc. To be honest, it never broke down but the amount of times a warning light went off on the dash was ridiculous.

For my next car I would like a petrol one as I only do about 25 miles a day for work - I bought the vRS as I was doing 70 miles a day for my previous job, so I don't need a diesel anymore and can consider something 'not quite as sensible'. I don't want anything too silly though as I am only just 25 and only have a few year's NCB and I don't want anything that will cost loads to run.

So far I have considered:
    Mini Cooper S (07+ turbo version)
    Mazda MX5
    BMW Z4
    Honda Civic
    Focus
    Fiesta ST

Can anyone think of anything else? I have to admit I am put off VAG cars after the Fabia trouble. People at work want me to get an S2000!

Thanks.

2. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

3. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Smart Roadster is nice car that doesnt spend too much petrol and is cheap to maintain. Sport look and rarity makes it even more desirable car.

[​IMG]

4. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I understand the new style mini has a really horrendous ride - something to bear in mind. My 6 is pretty bad and in hindsight, I wouldn't have bought it had I known. So make sure to test drive it properly.

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

What type of commute you doing, B roads where a quality chassis is required, or fast A roads where mid range punch is required.

I would say a Cilo 172 would be a better buy over a Mini, lighter with a much better chassis. Ideal for a B-road blaster. Same goes for a Fiesta ST, great B road car.

If it's A roads, then start thinking some a little more comfortable with pace like an BMW 330, they can be had for a pretty penny these days. Or a Alfa Romeo GTV, IMHO is beautiful.

I've been warned about mentioning Saab's so I won't but they do make a mean Turbo :)

6. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

For that money you can get a megane 225.

7. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

8. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Look at FN2s, hit a point where they wont really drop any more. Proper drivers car, no turbo whoosh sensation and everything is linear. Handling is great and it won top gear hot hacth car of the year even after Jeremy Clarkson slated it loads. (he only did that because a load of other review sites and tv shows got it before top gear, a little pathetic really).

I purchased one rather than opting for a focus ST or a Nissan 350Z, I even have a drive in the Megane R26 and still decided the Civic was the better car for me. Issue is insurance is higher than all of those...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It is, bloody awful in fact. Great if you're blasting up the Nurburgring, not so useful pottering down the A339 in Newbury.

For £7k I'd say Burnout has nailed the important question - what will your typical driving be? What do you enjoy driving? Do you derive pleasure from driving an engaging car, or would you rather just have the woosh of a big turbo and a comfy chair?

The choice is wide-open for that much cash. A Z4 is a great machine, especially in straight-6 form, it's also worth considering a Boxster S. Decent examples of both fall into budget, and are another level of quick/entertaining than the usual hot hatches.

If you just want a bit of waft then a beautiful example of a Merc w124 or BMW E38 are well within reach - luxury motoring and actually very reliable, thanks to their limited-complexity engines and good build quality.

11. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I'm going to accompany my brother to test drive a few BMW Z4's next weekend for the same kinda price, so I'll let you know what my thoughts of there. He's going for the 3.0l straight six, so looking at ~ 70k miles for ~ £7k.

There's one in Lowesoft which looks awesome imo, and he loves the look of. Might be a bit too far to go though.

12. Krikkit

-45mm on pimped alloys? Oh dear.

13. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I'm worried about the ride as well, but it looks good imo. The black alloys give it a much more menacing stance, which makes it less 'girly', as my gf has described the Z4.

I've always been a fan of big alloys and lowered stances though...

14. julianmartin

You can guarantee that car has been absolutely shagged - I wouldn't go near it.

One thing to mention - the 3 litre engine in that is a big lump for the size. Best mate had a 2.3 (I think) and moved to a 3.0 - and swears it was a better drive with a smaller lump.

15. Krikkit

That's interesting! I had an acquaintance (I wouldn't call him a friend as he was an asshole) who did just that and swore the 3L was better. They're front-mid really, as most of the engine is over/behind the front wheels, so the handling is pretty spectacular whichever one you choose.

16. julianmartin

Bizarre - saying that I have more or less the same 3L in my 6er and I suppose a slightly similar layout but a much longer and heavier car, and it is a really cracking engine and drive.

17. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

18. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

06/07 MX5 would be my vote.

19. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

That's just f**ked up as there all the M54 engine, the only difference being conrod's and piston diameter.

The only thing I can think of it the 3L with it's great torque output makes the driver require greater balls of steel for throttle position exiting a bend. As I doubt BMW produced a car that is over powered for it's weight to cause major traction issues. Yes there is such a thing as being too light. lol!

20. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Am I alone in finding sportier cars actually more comfortable for everything other than cruising? I was driving a 1.5 diesel fiesta the other day and it was actually terrifying, the car would just run away by itself. It felt like I was going a lot faster (in fairness, my car is slowwwwww, but at 74bhp the fiesta isn't quick); perhaps it just takes time getting used to.