1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

MOT - only advisories. :thumb:

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Advisory:

Take this car to the nearest scrapyard, pay the man, walk away...

I've had a car like that, never bothered to MOT it, just foisted it on a car dealer.

Mister_Tad likes this.
  3. adidan

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  4. adidan

Weird, I replied with the quote now all I can see is the quote :eyebrow:

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

That's because you added it as an extra line in the quote. :duh:

IanW and adidan like this.
  6. adidan

Ha, not even at the end but randomly inserted. :happy:

I shall leave as is for posterity.

7. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

My heated/cooled front seats are finally back in business after being inoperative for the past 3½ years! The positive connection burnt due to the inadequate connectors used by GM (and Ford) during the late 2000s. I also replaced the ground connection, even tho it looked good, as they too are notorious to burn overtime. The replacements connectors are rated at twice the amperage of the originals and I used wires with a bigger gauge. Bottom line, my butt will be warm this winter :D

[​IMG]

8. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Week and a half since my last shave. Barely 1mm of growth.

Edit: body shape is changing, I guess everyone knows where.

perplekks45 likes this.
  9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Scanning!

Happy with the output now. Scan at 600dpi full colour, scale down to 300dpi, then full-colour stuff gets put into JPEGs at 85% quality (you can go as low as 60% before even seeing anything obvious when you zoom in, and 25% is surprisingly readable at 1:1 zoom) while greyscale and black and white stuff gets processed to eight-colour PNGs. (I was doing 1-bit black and white, but it created a screen effect on greyscale stuff - eight-colour looks *much* nicer, even for genuine black-and-white scans. Roughly double the size, at 45MB per magazine instead of 25MB, but it's worth it.)

Arboreal and IanW like this.
  10. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

£20 camera box listed on Friday - total return to date = £0

£5 camera box listed on Friday - total return to date = £357

Arboreal, Mr_Mistoffelees and IanW like this.
  11. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

What e-reader is that?

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

IIRC it's a ReMarkable tablet.

MadGinga likes this.
  13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That one's the Remarkable 2 - arrived yesterday. It's basically the Remarkable, but a bit quicker and with a posh magnetic-clamping pen. Same size screen, but the body's shorter, wider, and thinner.

Trouble is, I balked at paying £150 (or £100 in canvas finish) for the book-style folio cover, so when I put the thing away in its sleeve I have to take the pen off anyway. Boo-urns!

MadGinga likes this.
  14. MadGinga

£399! ouch. and thats without the "marker" and any form of case... it does look super shiny though! Think my scratched kindle in its fading cover will have to suffice for the moment!

15. Gareth Halfacree

Yeah, they ain't cheap. As soon as you get above the mass-market 6" displays E-Ink stuff gets super pricey - the Remarkables are 10.3", which is as big as you can get before going to the really expensive 13.3" stuff. Remarkable charges extra, too, 'cos it fancies itself as an Apple-like company for well-heeled executives and bohemian artist types.

It still sells the original Remarkable, which is pretty much the same thing: £299 with sleeve and marker, or £279 refurbished. Do bear in mind, though, that it doesn't support any form of DRM, so you can't shove your Kindle books on there. (Well, you can, if you strip the DRM off first with Calibre and DeDRM then convert to ePub...)

MadGinga likes this.
  16. MadGinga

good to know, i went with Kindle originally primarily as it was convenient/simple (and I got a good deal!) - I expect migrating away from that ecosystem now would be almost as painful as migrating away from Steam...

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

There is a Kindle app for regular tablets.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Aye, and you can get Android tablets with E-Ink displays for the best of both worlds. They're *really* not cheap, though. Like, the sharp end of a grand for the biggest model. I have an older Boox Universe - it was OK at the time, and "only" about £400, but has long been abandoned on Android 4.something.

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Ouch! Think I'll stick with my old Pixel C (on Lineage OS), until it falls apart.

20. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Some parts for my mobile office for when I go and see the other half and need to work from there....

Razer Naga, Razer CYNOSA, Razer Gigantus large, 2x laptop desk stands, a linksys 5 port gig switch, a 4 way power strip with 3x USB ports and a type C port that delivery 85w combined and 5x cat6 ethernet cables. All of it is my first Razer gear and for the cheaper end stuff it isn't actually that bad! Need to get a headset but the Razer stuff sounds terrible! Beyer Dynamics DT1770pro with a DAC and a Yeti is in order me thinks!!

[​IMG]

Naga hasn't arrived yet so rocking my old and trusty Logitech G9X for the time being but other than that its a mighty impressive little mobile office :grin:

Also, couldn't get on with the S20 Ultra.. still got it, still using it, really like the device concept but it fails miser:rock:ably in the day to day, especially in the camera department. As such, new phone in! Gone back to the basics, slightly smaller, proven design, less powerful but clean and uncluttered with a camera that is truly on point, bring on the...

Pixel 5 Sorta Sage!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy month of goodies for me :grin:

So why awesome? I can work anywhere I need to and it fits in a bag and not running a £1200 phone and instead going for simple has made me appreciate what a phone actually is again. Simplicity at its finest! :grin:

DeadP1xels likes this.