1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Frozen tuna steaks from Iceland. You get four, I have two at a time. Doesn't sound very exciting but I've been experimenting on the cooking and I now have it mastered. Put down foil, small puddle of olive oil then put them down and wipe around. Then smother the buggers in habanero hot sauce and pinch the foil closed. I then serve them over Mexican rice and sweetcorn with light mayo (I hate sour cream).

Amazing. 30 minutes later and I'm still burning bit man, absolutely delicious.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Ditto.

Then I thought 'best friend'?
    Then I thought whatever makes your world go round.

Ain't no judgment here though.

perplekks45 likes this.
  3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

That does sound very delicious indeed!

If I can recommend a shop for great frozen food stuff: https://musclemeat.nl/ I've been ordering frozen meat, fish, and veg there for quite some time and Olivier's products are of really high quality for a very decent price. The added bonus is that the customer service is insanely good.

Example? Sure, here it is: I ordered about 200 Euros worth of frozen goods late last week, it arrived via DHL in the usual double-layer deep-freeze-silver-foil-bag with dry ice this week. Or so I thought. Upon opening the boxes I saw a content list for somebody in Berlin and unfortunately the contents of the boxes matched the list. Gave a quick call to Muscle Meat and informed them about the switch-up, since DHL had delivered both packets in my tracking information (both for the other person, not my stuff). They apologised, told me to do whatever I pleased with the stuff I'd received and immediately got my stuff ready to be sent out which it did the next day. Said next day the doorbell rang and DHL dropped another rather large box from Muscle Meat on my doorstep. What the ...? Yes, that was packet #3, unannounced as of this moment, and containing my stuff. They apparently mis-printed labels or DHL mixed things up worse than they usually do, so I called Muscle Meat again to tell them to not send out my stuff again. Alas, it was too late to cancel the shipping and I was informed that I should just keep everything and asked to please leave a positive review on the usual sites.

That means that I now have both coolers filled to the brim with about 500 Euros worth of stuff for a total outlay of 200 Euros. My order arrived twice in full plus I have what the lady from Berlin should've received. Sure, there was not much they could do about it, because these being frozen goods they couldn't really ask me to forward it to Berlin, but the way they handled it was outstanding and is just the latest chapter of brilliant contact with Olivier and his people whenever I had a question or issue. Not that there were many issues, but the few I had got solved immediately and very professionally.

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

My wife makes a tuna pasta bake with Iceland tuna and, it's very nice. It's good to be married to a retired chef.:grin:

Vault-Tec likes this.
  5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Mr F***er has had a baby.

That's three generations of robin that have been in my garden now.

The_Crapman and ElThomsono like this.
  6. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

My wife has been given another promotion at work.

She started there as a first line IT support worker and was taken on mainly due to her fluency in German (although she does speak French, Dutch and English as well) and impressed them to the point where they have allowed her to work 4 days at home and 1 in the office each week. This has been awesome as she has fibromyalgia and the days in the office drain her. After she got out of her initial probationary period, they offered her the team leader position... Now she has just finished the probation for that role she has been offered the position of training coordinator and associated document controller and so begins another probationary period....

just tickled me that she has been in probation more than not since she started there.

Her pay has also gone up by £5k a year since starting which has been awesome. Prior to this she had not had a pay rise in almost 7 years with other places.

The only downside to this is that she will be working in the office 3 days a week, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. This is going to be difficult to say the least. It also means that when I am going to be back in the office I am going to have to be in all week, every week, no more of the week in, week at home thing as we only have 1 car and there is no way that I can cart my workstation in on the bus, it weighs a little over 15kg and is not the easiest thing to carry (Lenovo Thinkstation P6## series). 3 days a week of public transport and walking, and 2 of having the car... I'm really going to miss being here with the cats, they have made working from home proper enjoyable.

Oh well, new job for the wifelet, 'tis all good and I shall manage. More pennies coming in and all that. She'll be on the same amount that I started on at my current job and I will no longer be earning twice what she does, that's kinda cool.

Isitari, adidan, Pete J and 1 other person like this.
  7. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Smashing out all seasons of peaky blinders, can finally see what the fuss was all about… up to season 5 episode 2 having started season 1 a week ago. I do often like to wear a bakerboy hat now and then. I was put off for a period of time because everyone would “By order of the peaky blinders” me and I had no idea what that meant. Really enjoying TV for once, once this is finished I’ll be back to all the soap crap until season 6 starts in February!

In other news, back to work on new hours. Things just feel so much nicer, couple morning school runs which for the most part I enjoy, no rushing around getting home for childcare or work drop offs. For the first time in 6+ years I’m building up time. Hoping this will translate into some early finishes come the summer for a cheeky BBQ or beer in the garden.

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I've always felt a bit 'lazy' that I'm not competent in at least one other language. I did GCSE level French and Spanish (years ago) so can order a coffee or something in these languages, but I have a few internet friends who apart from speaking their own language, have an excellent understanding of English and usually have a fair grasp of a third language. Indeed, a couple of them are German, and speak English and Russian fluently.

Ah well, when I win the lottery, I'll retire and spend time catching up on the things I've always wanted to do.

Almightyrastus likes this.
  9. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Very much the same here. My wife is Dutch and grew up about half an hour from the German border up near Groningen. She lived in Switzerland for a little as an au pair, then in Paris where she was on the opening team for EuroDisney. She's also lived in Spain, Greece, LA, and the UK so she has been exposed to a lot of languages. She just picks them up. She is fluent in 4 and can also get by in Spanish, very basic Greek and is currently learning Japanese...

I could probably just manage to initially survive on VERY basic German and French, and I can get the general idea of what is going on in Dutch (if spoken clearly - well as clearly as clearing your throat every time you use a G can be...), plus I can read German pretty well (at least the technical bits - work competitor is a German company, catalogues and all that).

I would love to learn something else, but languages never really stick with me, well they do but it takes forever to learn them and I just get fed up.

Arboreal and Pete J like this.
  10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

This is utterly dumb and I love it;

[​IMG]

OpenLara flashed to a GBA cart and running on the GBA.

The world is full of odd people doing insane things and I love it.

Pete J and Byron C like this.
  11. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I am fluent in two languages (English and Latin,) conversant or read decently well in more (German, French, Spanish, Greek and Hebrew,) able to kinda get around in a few more (Russian, Japanese, Mandarin) and at least know the spelling and pronunciation rules for a fair few more (Gaelic of Irish and Scottish varieties, Portuguese, Mvskoke, Mikasuki-Hitchiti, Cherokee, Dinè, Acadian French.)

However, after the strokes I don't pronounce things properly and I've started having memory gaps. So I tend to not use those skills nearly as much. All I spend time on trying to learn now is my original language, Mvskoke. I'm getting much better at it. Looking into the workbooks.

IanW and Pete J like this.
  12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

One of my internets friends referred to my most favourite animal on earth, the rhino, as an 'assault unicorn'.

I like this.

perplekks45, IanW, Arboreal and 2 others like this.
  13. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Assault unicorn it is.

An armadillo is just a tactical assault opossum.

Pete J, IanW and Arboreal like this.
  14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Get yourself down to Folly Farm in Wales, for £100 they'll give two of you an hour's access to hand feed the rhinos. It's like stepping into Jurassic Park.

Byron C, perplekks45, Pete J and 3 others like this.
  15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

The Lord's sending the amended Crime Bill back to the Commons.

There was a hefty bit of Dictatorship style policy shoehorned into that thing.

Isitari likes this.
  16. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I GOT A JOB!!! :clap::clap::clap::rock::rock::rock:

Interviewed yesterday afternoon, was meant to be 30-40 mins but went on for just over an hour. Talking through my CV and detailing more relevant bits, talked for ages about what the company had been doing over lockdown and future endeavours. I emailed the recruiter after just to recap and say "I really want this job, please get me the job" and she did :grin:

Will be temp to perm, helps them get me in quickly before the person I replace leaves next week, but also some insurance seeing as I've not been in full time work for so long. Being temp I'll be paid weekly so that helps me out in the short term too, keep the bills rolling over. Salary is a little below asking, but still more than I've earned before (although probably about where I'd be had I not lost my previous job), but that's also to help them cover agency costs and once made permanent, salary is up for negotiation.

Will still be keeping up on PC things, haven't been able to do much at all lately, as post COVID ruined Christmas I've not had much stamina, and what I've had has been dedicated to job hunting and an early spring clean and sorting of my house, which was in a sorry state. But, I have 2 yet to be announced brand new cases on their way for review for next month's Custom PC, a backlog of 9 others for the channel and other bits too.

[​IMG]

GaryP, MadGinga, adidan and 11 others like this.
  17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

WARnicorn was right there!

[​IMG]

Pete J likes this.
  18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Finally, after months of fighting with UPS, I hold in my hand a C79 for the import VAT on the Stupid Hipster Laptop. Which means I can claim it as an input on my next VAT return, and get £185.87 knocked off the bill. Huzzah!

EDIT:
    Ah, bums, no it's not: it's the C79 for the screwed-up FedEx invoice, where they decided I owed £200 to import a commercial sample of a £12 camera module.

Guess I'm still fighting UPS, then!

Last edited: 18 Jan 2022
    Pete J likes this.
  19. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Visors down, re enter the battle #FookRedTape

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  20. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Make sure you are prepared for that discussion when the temp to perm time comes... don't get screwed over by the situation.