1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun. Lover of bit-tech

Our remortgage went through yesterday, just in time to avoid the rate hikes thankfully. Our current provider was shoving it up almost every week. Knocked £100 a month off just by moving it to co-op and getting a better rate. Mental!

Byron C and adidan like this.
  2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

We got ours thought last week, rate fixed for 10 years and had an immense sense of calm and wellbeing getting confirmation. Quality adulting.

It’s a fair bit more that we’ve been paying, but also that was all about to come crashing down when our implausibly low fixed rate deal ends in November.

The_Crapman likes this.
  3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

More car stuff.

This snippet from an MG Central to dealerships memo:-

[​IMG]
    TL;DR - First batch of MG4s hit dealerships late September.
    Now I REALLY have to find the spare key for my current car, which was put "somewhere safe" two years ago!

4. The_Crapman

We got a 5 year fixed rate, that's about how long we're currently planning on staying in this house so suited us fine.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I was hoping for a ten on the new place, but only managed a five. Going to work on having a big chunk paid off by then, though, so the resulting rate spike won't come as too much of a shock.

The_Crapman likes this.
  6. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Check this works first, but ask them for a discount to take the gap insurance. Then cancel inside the cooling off period after you get the car. I saved £750 doing this...

IanW likes this.
  7. The_Crapman

One of my friends got a mortgage off the bank by agreeing to ppi, which they insisted on with him being self employed. Got the mortgage, bought the house, waited for the first payment to come out (just to play it safe), then cancelled the ppi. The bank were allegedly furious with him and threatened to cancel the mortgage unless he reactivated the ppi. He did not and neither did they.

8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I know nothing about this, but having just Googled it quickly, I wondered - if my old car is worth ~£500 on the market but to replace it with something similar would cost £3k, can I just get this gap insurance each year to cover me for £3k in the event it's written off and the insurers low-ball me? This has happened to us before, you see. I just bought the car back from them and fixed it up though.

9. Byron C

Byron C Official Necromancer

Edit: as far as I understand it.... The idea with gap insurance is to make up the difference between the market value and what the insurer actually pays out. Typically an insurer won't pay the market value on a total loss claim, they'll apply all sorts of deductions and that "gap" is where gap insurance comes in.

Even with gap insurance, you won't (or certainly shouldn't) get more than the market value for your car in the event of a total loss claim. That's one of the main principles of insurance: to put you back in the financial position you were in before the loss.

10. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Any GAP payout is based on the initial purchase price of the car Vs market rate when it's written off, to cover any depreciation in value since it was bought, rather than what it would cost to replace. You usually have to buy the GAP policy within a year of buying the car.

Don't actually know if you can take them out on used cars though. Not sure it'd be worth it, given used cars don't depreciate anywhere near the same rate as new ones.

11. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

They should be doing. The only deduction from market rate (once agreed) should be the policy excess, and salvage value if you want to keep it to fix it up.

What the actual market rate is though, now that's a whole can of worms and frequent source of dispute.

12. Byron C

Oh yes, that is most definitely what they should be doing... but speaking as someone who used to work in insurance, it isn't what they actually do in every case.

And, as you say, "market rate" is a whole new kettle of fish.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

UPDATE - Spare key (and V5) found!

Last edited: 12 Aug 2022
    adidan and ElThomsono like this.
  14. Andersen

Andersen Brain for hire

Had someone take few whole body photos yesterday. Interesting changes, I've lost a lot of muscle from upper body and areas below my waist have become clearly bigger. My hips are now wider than my ribcage!

Hormones are magic

Almightyrastus and KayinBlack like this.
  15. Byron C

<Shameless plug alert>

Doin' another one of these in just over two weeks

[​IMG]

Bazz, IanW, adidan and 2 others like this.
  16. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

17. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

You got a new avatar picture !

18. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Just Spiro has me there. Up to the line on B cups as well. Looking at starting more if my kidneys have stabilized.

Shirty likes this.
  19. Andersen

Andersen Brain for hire

Ahh... Friend of mine dyed my hair again. Once again I'm a proper redhead

20. Byron C

It was about time!