1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. ferret141

ferret141 Well-Known Member

How did you nab that?

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Congrats on finally finding work, but R U SRS? I know it's probably the first manual job you'll have had, but when you're coming home at the end of the week having laboured for 52 hours, spare a thought for factory workers doing 6x12 hour shifts or tradesmen working 16/6 at times to earn a decent, honest living. I feel like if someone dangled a full time 52 hour per week contract with a good rate in front of me at the moment that I'd probably take their arm off for it. This week is shaping up to be a total of 66 hours in one of my jobs if I'm here for the planned 12 hours tomorrow. I practically live here now... Long weeks like this take their toll at times but it's very rewarding in the end and as I've said before, I couldn't be working with nicer people.

But seriously though, congrats and good luck with it :) Work hard and try to make yourself indispensable to your employer... your 10 week contract could turn into 20 or more. I started this single post part time job on 15 hours per week. I now have 3 posts, am contracted for 25 hours/week, regularly work 35+/week and am being moved up a grade this month. Little opportunities can turn into big ones :)

Last edited: 6 Sep 2013
  3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy New Member

haha she loves the fat on lamb :D

4. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy New Member

This.

AND IT HAS SAMUEL L IN IT. :rock:

That is all.

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Dude was selling a crate of graphics cards for $5 a pop. Untested, but I figured I'd nab it. I should've nabbed the 8800GTs, the 9600GTs and the GTX280 that was there as well.

6. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

"Good Rate" - This is barely above minimum wage for my age-range. £5-odd an hour. (Minimum wage 18-20; £4.98, 21+; £6.19, increasing to £5.03 and £6.31 respectively come October.)

I'm not complaining about the job, I'm bloody thankful that, after almost a year and a half of being unemployed; I've finally got some money coming in, I just don't want to make other people think that I'm earning a fortune for working at those hours. I'm just saying that I'm woefully unfit and a 52 hour week is going to kill me for the first few weeks as I adjust! :D

Still; It's money in the bank, at the very least. With it I can hopefully afford the costs associated with getting my hands on a car that won't explode on me in the first year, and get that damn driving license sorted. Once that's done; Finding work is nowhere near as awkward. I hope.

Edit; I've only just realized; Mech69 immortalized me in his Signature... Not sure how I feel about this. :lol:

Last edited: 7 Sep 2013
    fuus likes this.
  7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

My wife had an interview at a new childcare center opening up in our city. She has a good chance of getting the job too. The director is our neighbor and my boss's wife. lol
    Would be great if she did as she currently works at a center in another town 30 miles away. This would save us a ton of gas money and be much safer during the winters.

Also, we ordered a grill for our firepit the other week so I bought some steaks and grilled them over the fire. Still need to get the timing and heat right but wow they were good! :rock: I plan to do some more this weekend if the weather is good. Just need to get some large potatoes so I can do twice baked taters in the oven and then have steaks over the fire so a completely awesome meal.

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I didn't mean that I assumed your 52/week contract was at a good rate, I'm just saying that if I had the opportunity to get a good rate of pay for 52 hours per week i.e. the normal pay scale for my age, experience level and qualifications, I'd take it in a heartbeat. It's not that I mind working long hours at the moment, but I don't want to be doing it forever and the past week has been particularly... draining. Anything above the minimum wage for your age to start off with is brilliant. I worked 7-5 in a factory 5 days per week for 4 months when I was 19, for almost 50% more than what my part time filling station/off license weekend job was paying, and it quickly made me realise the value of a good hourly rate.

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Continued from My post in the"Ruining" thread:-

Photorec

This wonderful & amazing program has safely found & recovered ALL my holiday pics, both in jpg & RAW! :rock:
    I commend it's usefullness to the house :D

10. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Grandpa has recovered dramatically from his stroke on Friday morning. They're talking of discharging him on Monday.

Also, I overheard two girls fighting over me. Apparently they're good friends but didn't make their feelings clear to each other (or to me, for that matter).

feelsgoodman.png

I considered bursting through the hedges and scaring them sh*tless, but then the mature part of my brain took over. TBH, I don't like the idea of seriously dating anybody right now, but one of the birds is really sweet, really nice - basically wife material. The other made clear that she just wanted to screw my brains out. So now...?

11. Kovoet

Kovoet New Member

watching the Bokke thump the Aussies has made my day and put me in a very good mood

12. Kovoet

Kovoet New Member

Looks so much better than the original.

13. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy New Member

That's great news man !

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

you might want to wrap sarcasm tags around that or someone might take you seriously.

15. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Well-Known Member

Im annoyed at the travesty that is the remake. Hey look lets drop Samuel L Jackson in to play a character and all will be well.

16. Kovoet

Kovoet New Member

Lol I stand by it as I didn't like the first one much. I have broad shoulders.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

David likes this.
  17. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Screw the **** and then date the nice one when she gets bored of you and moves on, what's the hard choice here?

18. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Well-Known Member

Wait what........The Original is by far the best, even though it hasn't aged all that well. I hate these god damn remakes.

19. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Glad to see romance isn't dead :)

20. Nexxo

Nexxo Stopped treating this country as if it was his own

Strokes can do that. They send the whole brain into shock so the damage initially appears much bigger than it is. Then the brain recovers and there is a dramatic improvement. You won't really know what the real impairment is for another few months, and even then there can be long term improvement. Rehabilitation is key.

David likes this.