1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Ha, more of a midlife kerfuffle in the end!

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

How can you not believe that an email from the Economic Community of West
    African States of African and American Government
    is nothing but the real deal?

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Snow. Snow is awesome.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I agree, I love the snow as does my cat, unfortunately none here in Edinburgh.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

In the NE of England there's been a bit today. Lovely. My cat seems to like it until she gets to the door and realises it's a bit nippy then runs off back to the bed. Right soft lass she is. Hard life.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

After a lot of messing about and innumerable delays, my new book is finally on shop shelves in the UK!

[​IMG]

Currently number 24 in the charts for Computer Hardware, while my Raspberry Pi User Guide is number 2(!)

Happy days!

MLyons and IanW like this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Well bugger me 'wid fish fork.

Mum was watching the news the other night and saw this thing about a warmer home discount for the disabled or sick etc. Phoned Eon, who pointed me to the application form online. Applied on Friday, got a letter today telling me I had been accepted and application was successful !

Basically that's a £140 credit onto my Eon account which will pay the extra money for gas all winter. Well chuffed man. Now I don't have to sit around worrying wearing a woolly hat and gloves etc.

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

How the hell did you not know about this before now?
    I have claimed it in the past but not all companies support it details here. So if you chop and change suppliers as I do then you can miss out but most of the time overall it is not that much of a saving.
    Oh and you won't get the payment until March next year if memory serves.

9. Vault-Tec

I never watch the TV (live at least) never go out, never speak to any one apart from my close family etc. Mum applied for it the other week and got it OK, £140 onto her account. I had just been billed too (quarterly overall bill) so if it shows before the next quarter then happy days.

But they don't go out of their way to tell you these things. For five years I asked the DWP if I could get any extra benefits because mum was really struggling and they said no. Then three years later I find out I am entitled to something and I have lost about £15k by not knowing.

That's the thing with the govt. They don't come out and tell you what you can or can't have.

10. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Filled the little Swift's tank on Wednesday, all 37 litres of it. With such a small tank, plus 90% of my mileage being in Cambridge city centre ("Home of 2nd gear"), I was expecting to have to refill every 10-12 days at best... 5 and a bit days (+110 odd miles) later and the fuel gauge is still hovering on the "F" marker, my estimated range has gone UP and i'm averaging 56.5 MPG.

THIS THING LITERALLY RUNS ON MAGIC.

MLyons likes this.
  11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

There are usually advice shops that can help with benefit entitlement as I appreciate that the DWP will not tell you but again everyone should know that. They are a law unto themselves but there are folk out there who will come to your home and help with forms etc.

12. Vault-Tec

I have had a social worker twice. First one lost me £250 per month and the second was helpful I will admit, but for 6 weeks then he buggered off (half way through helping me with my bus pass forms so that never got finished).

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Not talking about social workers as I have little confidence in them, the places I mean are similar to the Citizens Advice Bureaus but probably more left wing.

14. Vault-Tec

I phoned the CAB after phoning the DWP and they said the same. No you can't get anything else. This was back in 2009, when basically every penny I was being given was going to my mother and still leaving her short about £15 a week. Oh well. Not much you can do about it now I suppose.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I had an issue with the DWP the deduction over time to the tune of a third of my benefits the sum of £5250 they said was an over payment 10 years previously.. The CAB were worse than useless populated by middle class volunteers which did not seem to have clue as to the real world. Took me 4 years and two politicians, the first my labour MP absolute tosser and my MSP who was an absolute diamond. Turned out a case of mistaken identity which took 5 years to prove because the DWP refused to hand over their evidence until pushed by the information commissioner and my MSP.
    So have a look around for help centres as there are bound to be at least one near you.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2017
  16. Vault-Tec

Mum has a DAB radio that works.. I am never ordering anything from the Warehouse again..

So I ordered her a Panasonic thing from the Warehouse about a week ago now. It arrived last Monday, IIRC. I got over there, plugged it in and it started making a buzzing sound. Mechanical. Put in a CD and after about a 30 second wait "No Disc". Switched it to the radio, wouldn't tune (yes I connected the antenna). Tried to connect with Bluetooth, it didn't exist. Tried the aux socket, no sound.

However does Amazon say something is in excellent condition without even plugging the effing thing in? I saw the disappointment on my mother's face and that makes me very sad and quite angry. I knew if we returned it Amazon would just refund me the price I got it for, not replace, so I tried my best to get Panasonic to take it back and repair/replace. However, they pointed out to me that they do not RR on Warehouse items. So there was no point even sending the receipt to them. What angered me more was mum had spent £45 on a black glass table to put it on. I kinda told her not to do that until I had checked it but I guess she got carried away in the excitement. So now I feel like total crap.

[​IMG]

Mum found that. First reaction was "It looks like crap, mum" but only because I had never heard of the brand before. So I did a bit of poking and concluded that for the money (it really needed to be DAB and CD) that we weren't going to get anything else. I am usually never wrong about anything even remotely related to hifi but I ordered it and figured "Well, it can always go back". I was wrong. Totally wrong. Initial impressions were "Bloody hell it's a bit light compared to my old Bose Wave !" but as soon as I plugged it in and gave it a try I was more than happy. It sounds great, it's not terribly complicated to use and even has Bluetooth.

So yeah, very happy indeed.

17. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

Started a new job just over a month ago. Mechanical Building Services Engineer at a place called Diamond Light Source, the UK's largest Synchrotron on the old UKAEA Harwell site. It's an amazing job and there's seriously cool tech here. One of the 'Beamlines' is working on a new type of non-magnetic storage with no wear properties.... watch out for that one!

Building:

Storage Ring:

One of the Beamlines:

:D

18. Vault-Tec

Last night I had partridge for the first time. Duck to water. Olive oil, butter and oregano in the pan and in went the four tiny breasts (think pigeon only slightly larger).

Absolutely yum. Like chicken, only a far more intense flavour.

Oh yeah, and I gotta mention Pizza Hut beef brisket pizza. Had it a few weeks ago, dear god...

19. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Mmm, love partridge. Reminds me I need to clean up the weapons and plan a hunt with my pops.

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

After nearly 2 days of ... severe "gastrointestinal distress", I can finally trust my farts again.