1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

My then-soon-to-be-former car insurance provider called me up last week to ask why I wasn't renewing, and I mentioned the ~2500 reasons I planned on going elsewhere. I didn't even bother calling them to see if they could strike a deal in the first place with such a difference, but they decided they were having none of that. They ended up hitting the best quote I had elsewhere by matching my NCD from one policy (13 years) on another one (1 year), so I renewed with them in the end.

My paperwork has just come through, and what I assumed was just matching the discount level was actually matching the no-claims recorded on the policy - so they just gifted me 12 extra years. Bonus. Should make quotes a year from now much more palatable.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Gawd, I could probably still type out my autoexec.bat and config.sys configurations from memory today...

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1

What else did I used to have in there?

DEVICE=C:\MSDOS\HIMEM.SYS
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    BUFFERS=20
    DEVICEHIGH=C:\MSDOS\EMM386.EXE
    DEVICEHIGH={forgotten the .sys file} /D:MSCD0001
    LASTDRIVE=Z

LH SMARTDRV
    LH DOSKEY
    LH MSCDEX /D:MSCD0001 /E
    LH MOUSE.EXE
    CLS

By 'eck, those were the days!

3. Mister_Tad

They really were. This gives me a warm and fuzzy. Is it weird that I kind of miss this?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Absolutely not. The kids today have their overclocking to 5GHz and getting eight frames per second more out of their benchmarks, we had messing around with loadhigh and devicehigh (and memmaker, let's not forget!) to load all our drivers yet still have enough base memory left to actually *load* Wolfenstein 3D.

My record: CD, mouse, sound, VESA, doskey, and smartdrv all loaded, and 620KB still free. There was nothing I couldn't play with that configuration!

Vault-Tec likes this.
  5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah old onboard was horrendous. I've got a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz in my oldie rig :)

6. Mister_Tad

The way I remember it my main problem was always doublespace chomping up 50KB, but now checking it seems that could be loaded into high memory, so maybe that isn't right - that said it could have been and I just didn't know it, because I can't remember how I found things out pre-internet.

7. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Weird, isn't it!

8. Gareth Halfacree

Slices of dead tree, man, slices of dead tree - like this little tome I just pulled off my shelf:

[​IMG]

There's a CD in the back with a bunch of DOS games, too - and it waxes lyrical about the future of gaming thanks to the upcoming launch of Windows 95. NOSTALGIABOMB!

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Encarta! Or at least, that's how I did it in the mid-late 90's when I started my IT journey. With 56k internet.

I, however, do not miss those days.

I do kind of miss the Win95/98 "It is now safe to turn off your computer". Not entirely sure why. I also miss the degauss button on CRT monitors. Or the (not quite) endless fun with magnets and CRT's.

10. Mister_Tad

The "OMG FREE CD-ROM" attached to magazines used to be one of my favourite things ever. The anticipation.

MLyons likes this.
  11. Gareth Halfacree

My favourite day of the month was when my newsie got Commodore Format in and I could carefully peel the cover tape - or, if you were really lucky, cover tapes - off and stick it in my C2N datasette...

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Commodore Format! Oh how I miss thee. I recently found a page I'd torn out with a Flimbo's Quest guide on it. It brought a tear of nostalgia to my eye! It was on a C64 cartridge I had...!

13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

You guys are ancient. Are you retired yet?

14. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Is this what happened to Bruce Jenner?

15. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Headset round 2 - Victory by TKO to Wakka.

After getting my hacksaw on to remove the trapped threaded rod, top bearing cup went in a charm - and I didn't butcher a nut in the process! Forks are now fully installed, steerer cut down, SFN fitted and all. Also installed the BB and cranks while I was on a mission.

Just need to get some rim strips and tires and wait for the right sized shock mounts to come in and I can have the thing in "rolling chassis" mode.:grin:

16. Gareth Halfacree

As a self-employed person, I should be able to retire when I'm... huh, my calculator just says "NaN" on it. Strange.

Byron C likes this.
  17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

What sort of pension arrangements do you have, Gareth?

18. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Do you remember BITD having to set not only the IRQ for the sound card but also the DMA address and so on?

Seriously, kids these days wouldn't know what hit them. That you actually had to learn an OS properly and not just move a mouse around clicking on things and letting Windows assign as many virtual IRQs as it pleases lol.

19. Gareth Halfacree

I prefer to call them "my children who will get well-paying jobs and look after me in my dotage or SO HELP ME GOD."

No, but seriously, I ain't got one. Well, I have one from back when I had a Proper Job which is set to pay me £193 a year when (hah!) I retire, but that's yer lot.

20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Oh. Not putting anything into a personal pension or some other investment vehicle? You probably should, you know...