1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

BONUS POINTS FOR RECOGNISING THE TV SHOW:
    [​IMG]

wolfticket likes this.
  2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Cable management and labeling, what alien concepts are these?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ne'er mind the show, I can name the episode... (Though it helps that the episode name is right there on one of the labels.)

4. jinq-sea

Well you would, wouldn't you. It's one of my all-time favourite TV programmes, but not my absolute favourite episode (although the line about why ghosts can't whistle is excellent). That honour falls to 'Music'. The song in the key of 'S' is oft-quoted at home.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

nah, its all about Mathematical Anti Telhasic Harfatum Septomin, I still laugh at Imhotep being invisible.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It does for me :D the only time I will turn anything off is the main switch. Those cable boxes are awesome toys though. I put three power supplies in it and it keeps them off the floor. It's back in place now (the desk) and you can't see a single cable on the floor so it makes hoovering so much easier.

I've got one in the stereo area too, so much tidier than ugly AF extension leads.

7. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

Bang tidy. Very easy to hoover :)

8. jinq-sea

I was going to have some Garry Gum, but then realised I have run out of Anti-Garry Gum. I suspect the results could be disastrous...

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

You may want to hide or change your wifi password mate ;)

Byron C likes this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Dang you can read that? looks far too fuzzy for me. I can make out the wireless ID just about but then I know that by heart.

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Cable management, eh? What's that now?

[​IMG]

It's on the floor, I can't see it, therefore it isn't a problem :worried:

At least that's what I try and tell myself. It doesn't work though!

adidan likes this.
  12. Vault-Tec

My old flat looked like that. I ain't gonna lie in this flat my very real OCD kicked in and I spent a week (seriously) wiring and then rewiring the TV area. Eventually it made me ill and I retreated to my mother's to sleep and rest.

Then when I got back yesterday like an idiot I jumped straight in and ended up knocking one of my speakers off the stand, breaking the bond on the stand (so I had to glue it again) and a scratch on one of my beloved pod speakers. I had to just down tools and walk away then.

Still, onward and upward.

Last edited: 17 Apr 2019
    Byron C likes this.
  13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Was about to start the always-fun (never fun) balancing act of trying to poke massive multimeter probes at a Pi's GPIO header to take a frequency count, while trying not to short out any other pins, when I remembered owning an Openscope MZ. Sure enough, dug it out and...

upload_2019-4-17_17-33-23.png

The 'probes' are actually 2.54mm female pin headers, so they pop right on to the Pi's GPIO header and stay where they're put. Super-handy!

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Down behind my TV is a mess and I don't have the courage to get down there and straighten it all out. I have great cable management in the TV stand - it's one of those "cantilever" jobbies with a VESA mount and a hollow tube running down the back for cables - but it's when stuff comes out of the TV stand and into the power sockets or the speakers that's the problem...

The computer desk is about a year's worth of neglect. It was tidy down there once but I've had so many different combinations of PCs, laptops, and monitors plugged in since then and I never bothered fixing the cabling. It does annoy the crap out of me but when you actually have OCD* I'd imagine it's a different ball game... Problem is, I know that as soon as I start sorting out the cabling down there I'll have to: move the computer up off the floor because I'm not happy with the amount of dust it picks up off the carpet; move my second monitor to where I want it; re-do all my audio cabling; mount my microphone stand elsewhere; shorten the speaker cables; re-arrange everything else on my desk so that I can keep the cables tidy; and so on until it becomes an all-day job. Same with the TV wiring - it won't just be a couple of hours, it'll snowball into a massive job. And even when I do get around to doing it I won't be happy with it: in a week or two I'll think of a better way of doing it or I'll spot all the mistakes I made, and suddenly I'm back to square one again where I need to rip it all out and start again. Jesus, it makes me anxious as f--- just thinking about it! :grin:

*Incidentally: It annoys the f--- out of me when people say things like "Oh that would make my OCD kick in", or "I'm a bit OCD about that sort of thing" when they haven't actually been diagnosed with OCD. Liking things neat and tidy is not an obsessive compulsive disorder; an obsessive compulsive disorder is needing half an hour to leave the house because you have to check at least 5 times that everything in the house is switched off. EDIT: That's not a dig at you V-T - not at all - just a bit of a semi-related tangent...

15. Vault-Tec

Yeah when I cleared my old flat the PC area had three power cables, three hdmi cables and three lots of usb cables for when I had all three of my alienwares set up. Dang, what a tangle that was. I also had four headphone amps, each with their own PSU and God knows what else. I've got two plastic tubs full of power cables, hdmi cables, extension leads etc. This time I deliberately limited myself to 6 gang and just the Asus headset and the speakers in the monitor with the Bose sub.

It's a bloody good thing this flat has oodles of storage around the eaves or the whole bloody lot would have gone in the bin.

Byron C likes this.
  16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I could guesstimate, not really very clear though :)

Just thought i'd mention it in case somebody has the eyes if a cat.

17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Just moved to all-SSD on my PC. Got rid of two 2TB HDDs I just didn't really need anymore and replaced them with a Kingston 480GB SSD. No more spinning rust in my system. :thumb:

Mr_Mistoffelees and adidan like this.
  18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Once you kick out the spinners, there's no going back!

19. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Myself and my wife have decided to run 1000k (one-thousand) over the next 12 months in order to raise awareness and donations for the Ectopic Pregnancy Trust. We've been inundated with support with many friends and family getting in touch to help where they can.

We start on 1st May as my Wife is currently recovering from her operation.

damien c and adidan like this.
  20. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

How are you accepting donations? I'll chuck over £50

adidan likes this.