1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

My first pa in law had a boat. We used to take it out across the Delaware Bay.

I've also been boating with Gina Campbell. A very special day and one I'll cherish.

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Well-Known Member

We craftily avoided needing a powerboating licence (don't even know what it's called) by having a single horsepower engine. Single horsepower when it was built in April 1970. Burned fuel/oil at a 10:1 ratio. Did three knots.

Later we upgraded to 10hp which only did 4 knots but it had reverse, was more reliable, and had a far more eco friendly 25:1 fuel/oil ratio.

We thought about getting a 25hp and doctoring the cowling, but it would probably have ripped the transom off and sank.

3. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Active Member

Per my other post here I am a recent victim of theft. The good news of this is the estimated the value of good stolen is less than the jacket I'd left laying in plain sight on the back sit of my car. Second got a more good news once arriving at work. I'd initially believed my garage door opener has also been stolen, but I found it in my work bag, I'd forgotten I'd moved it to my bag to help remind me to buy new batteries for it (in Januaryish). Here's to forgetfulness...

Goatee likes this.
  4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Currently Rebuilding

Tree felled, split in quarters, debarked and ready for sealing ends and backs as bow staves. All by myself. And now I have the materials for a penobscot bow.

5. BA_13

BA_13 Member

Just about to do a fresh windows install with all the associated hassle due to a few random BSOD events so I thought I'd install the new RAM kit I bought prior to doing the install. During this simple install and despite having checked all the RAM sticks before (twice, also nothing showing up on memcheck) I find a loose stick that quite possibly has been the root cause of all the crashes.

So for now the windows install is at the very least postponed.

adidan likes this.
  6. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

Lucky save... no matter how many time we do it, a re-install is never not a p.i.t.b. :sigh:

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

That said, it's gotten a lot better with win 10. I can install from scratch and get the system to 99% of all required installs and settings in an hour. Without automation that was impossible before.

8. MLyons

MLyons Half dev, Half doge. Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

How do you automate windows installs?

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

In an enterprise environment? Windows Deployment Toolkit. At home, when you're looking to just have an ISO that installs both Windows and all your favourite software and drivers? NLite used to be the thing, but it seems to have been replaced by NTLite.

adidan and perplekks45 like this.
  10. perplekks45

What G said.

I did it at work (back in 2009 - 2011) with text files included on the install medium that basically gave instructions which buttons to press and which settings to choose during installation. After that we had OU in the Active Directory that were used in our software distribution system to install pre-defined software packages. A full dev workstation took roughly 3 hours to install fully automated.
    At home I created ISOs with my most needed/favourite software packages to come back to a fully installed running system which "just" needed a few updates.

adidan likes this.
  11. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Not sure what we use here but its taken them over a year to get a working unattended build. Only issues now are office wont see the KMS Server and the SCCM client seems to crumble if it has more than a dozen things to add.

12. Jeff Hine

Halfy & DevDoge got me wondering about a new 'board/old SSD upgrade & Microsoft a/c Windows licence - what needs to stay the same about the install to avoid a 'new licence fee'...?
    Knowing my s*** luck I'll stuff the whole process & get stung - I've only ever home-built, so I can't see any perma-tie to hardware.

13. legoman

IIRC the motherboards the key. Which makes sense, though if you link it to your digital MS account you cant just reactivate it in there with no bother, its what I did when I upgraded an its not given me any issues.

14. MLyons

MLyons Half dev, Half doge. Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

As the resident in house PC builder does this means I could have a Dev image, creative image and generic image that auto installed it with none of the windows cortana nonsense and with a predefined username and password?

15. Jeff Hine

Mebbe MS could have a system to "edit a licences' hardware config. (within reason/limited no. of parts in one go)" to reserve a full-price licence for a new user build... "Home* OEM" licence...?
    *single-user machine

Who am I kidding? Corp.'s like MS rarely listen to the 'little guy' in these cases.

16. legoman

Technically yes, Our build Cortana etc is all suppressed through policy. Our build goes to over 40K devices so we dont even have pre defined user names. Ill find more stuff an send it your way

Technically it does you can remove a licence an have that in a storage so in theory you can just plop it onto any installs but it usually doesnt work that smoothly.

MLyons likes this.
  17. Jeff Hine

My current one is my first MS a/c linked one, so I'll bear that in mind... I guess they have to BE MS a/c linked to be removed, in the first place?
    As I remember, getting the MS operative on the other end of the 'phone to "shut up & take my money", last time I upgraded a mainboard was a major hassle... REALLY, it was. o_O

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Better still, you can have a blank machine boot to an installation menu that lets you pick the flavour you want to install with nowt more than a network cable - remember when were talking about PXE? That's what it's for. PXE boot the blank machine, it loads a menu from the TFTP server, you pick the flavour you want, it installs it on the machine. You need never juggle USB sticks again!

19. perplekks45

PXE boot is the best thing ever to use for Windows installations.

20. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

You could do it with a Pi and a USB HD/stick.