1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do i need to work abroad?

Discussion in 'General' started by ajiKaBooM!, 24 Feb 2006.

1. ajiKaBooM!

ajiKaBooM! What's a Dremel?

I'm considering working abroad in Canada, either for the summer/placement/or a year out of uni. Can anyone remind me what will be needed to make it as smooth as possible in a list-format. For example, Visa, accomodation (ie Student house available from 'accomodationforstudents.co.uk'

Thank you.

edit: Looking for a work-visa, the ones which usually last 12 months

Last edited: 24 Feb 2006
  2. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

from what i know you need citizenship which requires you to speak fluent french...

3. ajiKaBooM!

that cant be the case. surely.

4. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

I don't know off hand, but I'm sure an embassy website would be helpful to you.
    You may or may not need a visa.
    Accomodation is always handy to secure beforehand.
    I'm guessing you already have job prospects in Canada or you wouldn't be asking.
    Why don't you contact those likely employers and see what they say?

Don't listen to me. Just my 1.2 yen worth.

5. thingamajig

thingamajig What's a Dremel?

Seeing that I am a Canadian citizen and don't speak any French, fluent or otherwise I would not think that is not a requirement. French is our second language, just like Spanish is for most of America..Not A Requirement In All Areas. btw..I no longer live in Canada as you can tell from my location in my profile.

6. padair

padair Inebriated

Contact the immigration dept at Canada House, they'll tell you all you need to know. You'll need to be able to speak one of the two official languages - you can speak English so that's ok - unless you want to go to Quebec- which is French speaking. New Brunswick is the only official bilingual province.

Whereabouts in Canada are you thinking of going? you could also try to see if your uni has any reciprocal agreements with a canadian uni, that way you could study there as well.

7. ajiKaBooM!

thanks, i found the website of the Canadian Embassy based in Central London, and downloaded an application form (i wont fill it yet).

So to wrap up nicely these are the things needed:

- Working visa (usually lasting 12 months)
    - Insurance
    - Accomodation
    - Travel arrangements (plane, coaches etc)
    - Job

How about banking? Is it possible to open an account over there and have money transferred from a UK bank?