1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking What do these mean?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Nealieboyee, 27 Mar 2014.

1. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Hi all,
    This is a pic of my BIOS. Please help me identify why there are two settings for cpu voltage? Why is the second one so high? Is it dangerous or is it normal?

[​IMG]

Thanks
    Betty

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I looked at your motherboard manual but, as expected, it wasn't helpful explaining why you have two similar settings in your BIOS.

What is the practical difference between the settings in bold and those not in bold?

3. Nealieboyee

Nothing. I'm just worried that the second one is way too high and I'll kill my cpu.

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Have you tried undoing the overclock going back to defaults and starting again?

Sent from my phone...

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

IIRC the cpu voltage is for stuff like the PCI-E controller and other gubbins that's shoved on the die where as the CPU core voltage [Vcore] is for the cpu portion itself... Other bits like the GPU and memory controller have their own voltage settings...

I don;t have ready access to the rents' FM2 based pc atm, so i can't check if their EFI has the same thing in the settings...

6. Nealieboyee

Yes I did that last night. The lowest I can go on cpu voltage is 1.32V. Then "CPU Core Voltage shows 1.44". If I'm in Windows It shows 1.39V at idle (4.2GHz) and goes up to 1.46V in CPUZ.

As above. I wonder if the mobo is bumping up the voltage as needed

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

From what you describe it seems the "CPU voltage" is the voltage setting for the CPU, and "CPU Core Voltage" is the voltage the CPU is actual getting.
    Do you have anything in your BIOS that lets you set the "CPU Core Voltage Offset" as this gets added to the "CPU voltage" when the system uses TurboCore, or OC's the CPU.

EDIT: looking around it maybe called "Amd OverDrive" on MSI motherboards.

Last edited: 28 Mar 2014
  8. Nealieboyee

Didn't see anything in BIOS. I'll have another look tonight. I would have thought a setting like that would be in the overclocking section of the BIOS.

Edit: Just got home and didn't find anything in BIOS about the offset voltage. I reset everything to defaults again and left NB and CPU-NB voltages on auto, as well as my CPU voltage. Overclocked to 4GHZ with 4.2GHz turbo, my vcore in windows is 1.408v. CPUz and MSI Control Center both read the same. Does this seem an ok voltage for that overclock?

Last edited: 28 Mar 2014