1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Sold my ST170 as running costs were getting a bit too high and went to a Diesel.

Decided on a Honda Civic 2.2 Type S GT.

Standard when I got her:
    [​IMG]

New Front Grill, LED Sidelights & Custom made DRL's:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Nov 2011
  2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Can't see your pics unless we sign up to the Civic forums. :)

I keep hearing people moan that the ST170 gearbox is a bit too weak for it, did you experience it?

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Doh didn't think of that. Changed the hosting now.

Mine only ever had a problem with the 1st gear popping out but that was just some linkage that needed to be adjusted. Was a solid motor overall, just ate front tyres and drank petrol ;)

Barely got 30mpg on a good day from the ST, the CTS I get ~45 on my daily commute and 55+ on longer journeys.

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

No idea why I didn't comment on this at the time. Loving the Toyota mate, some really nice work you've done on it too. What year is it and have you had it on a Dyno at all? I'm wondering what that engine is putting out. Is it a TM-GTE? Aren't those quite rare?

As far as I recall this is the model that came out after the Celica Supra was dropped, am I right? I've never ever seen a Celupra in real life :( I'd kill to get my hands on an early 80's one!

Ditto on the first part, not so on the second. ;)

Last edited: 15 Nov 2011
  5. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I don't think I'll ever understand the appeal of chrome rims.

*fixed. Good spot Wicked, I added the first 3 words after the rest and forgot to delete the n

Last edited: 17 Nov 2011
  6. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

They see me rollin
    They hatin

God I hate chrome rims esp big ones on pick ups and what not.

7. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

double negative? i hope you mean "dont think ill ever understand" :naughty:

and neither do i. especially in the climate we have around here as even high quality aftermarket wheels start to peel in just a few years. id much prefer a nice brushed aluminum look. less maintenance, cheaper, longer lasting, and they dont distract from the vehicle itself.

8. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

That truck is retarded.

I drive an Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel (6.7L with Cummins turbocharger) on a regular occasion but that is only when I am hauling 7000+ lbs worth of rowing boats/gear for the team. F350's are worthless unless they have the dualie wheels and a class 5 hitch that is actively towing something that weighs over 10000 lbs

[​IMG]

I am a firm believer of using an object for what it is designed for.

Last edited: 16 Nov 2011
  9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Currently one of these: [​IMG]
    a 1.4 Fiat Strada with "Fiat Courtesy Car" written all over it.
    11000km on the clock, and it's already FUBAR.
    Also, I't s probably THE hardest car I've ever driven in besides my mate's Skyline GTR32... and that's hard for >500 reasons at the wheels.

10. Wicked_Sludge

precisely how did you come to that conclusion?

if we compare the current RAM to the current f350, both truck make 350HP and both make 650ft-lbs of torque at roughly the same RPM (unless you look at the brand new 6.7L ford is producing which makes 400HP and 800ft-lbs of torque and at a lower RPM than the cummins). both are rated to tow around 17,000lbs. both have a max payload of around 4500lbs. both have a max GVWR of around 11,500lbs. they both get 17-18mpg highway. both trucks are available with more options than you can shake a stick at.

these are competing trucks. neither manufacturer is going to let the other get very far ahead.

so am i, which is why i wouldnt use a truck rated to pull over 17,000lbs to tow less then half that. you could almost legally pull your 7,000lb load with a ranger or dakota, a half ton pickup would be more than sufficient (a ram 1500 is rated to tow almost 10,000lbs).

Last edited: 16 Nov 2011
  11. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

That tow weight is GCWR.

So minus the truck, our gear in the bed of the truck, the 3 other heavyweight rowers in the truck, fuel, etc and you will find that we are only about 2000 off the full towing capacity.

And here, I even did the math for you.

17000 GCWR tow weight - 6523 vehicle curb weight, - 7000 trailer and gear weight, - 1280 people/fuel/bed gear weight (180*3 people + 140lbs me + 240 fuel + 360lbs gear) = 2197lbs extra towing capacity available

12. Wicked_Sludge

EDIT: sorry i grossly misread your post. the 17,000lb towing capacity isnt the gcwr, its the maximum towing capacity. the gcwr is up around 24,000lbs on those trucks. the gcwr of a ram 1500 is 15,500lbs, which still gives you a safety margin. worst case a 3/4 ton would be more than sufficient.

Jumeira, you dont have to tell me, ive owned my ford ranger pickup for years and i have used it to its full extent and then some. i always get weird looks from bystanders and people asking why i dont get a full size truck. my response is always simply that i dont need a full size truck. im not afraid to use my truck for what it was made for. properly loaded its never made me feel even a little bit unsafe at or even over the manufacturers weight limits. manufactures have a tendency to underrate their vehicles as a way of padding themselves to avoid a lawsuit or increased warranty claims for things like brakes and clutches.

what it boils down to is your vehicles ability to stop its load, and my truck has never had me questioning its ability in that department. until it does, i see no reason to upgrade.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2011
  13. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

go somewhere not in the US, and you'll see that what all manages to get done with 1/4 ton. LOL.

Just ask BentAnat, he'll tell you southern African businesses run on "Bakkies". And often in terrain that would shred a 1/2 ton pick up. There is a reason why Isuzu had to redesign their KB series for Africa, and Ford has almost no market share.

14. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Pretty lush motor.

15. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

[​IMG]

my baby.

2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX-L V6 3.2L 4x4 with 18" upgrade.

now with brand new winter tire ready to tackle anything Canada's winter throw!

16. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I can't drive :(
    Goes away and cries.
    Mind you, 4 years from now I can't bear to think what the insurance will be like.
    I want a Fiat 500 Abath!

Back on topic :worried:

17. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

4 years from now? Are you 13/14?!

18. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Wouldn't surprise me.

Next damn year. I am going to learn to drive or die trying. Probably the latter.

19. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Cheers :) Big diesel lumps are fun to drive as the torque is great fun.

20. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Yup, 14 :thumb: