1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

wow an n plate disco thats not leaving bits of it behind :p but who am i tot alk - we have a pug 806 - yeah for lots of kids :D

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Hmm... Not a bad suggestion! Decent Freelanders are quite a bit more than reasonable-looking Disco's, should offset the running costs nicely. :)

3. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

The running costs aren't that dissimilar really - slightly worse MPG, but that's about all.

4. Krikkit

Interesting - I always hear tale of that age of Disco being a touch... Old school LR? Worse than the Freelanders (save for the Haldex system on them anyway, but it's easy enough to spot a poor one when you know what you're buying).

Looking at reliability surveys the Freelander looks worse, but has a higher incidence of drivetrain and engine failures - both known weaknesses on them which are easily avoided. Disco's look just as bad, but their bugbear is suspension/electronics.

5. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

I've had 3 discos, and rot was the only thing that went wrong. :)

6. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Where can one find these reliability surveys? I may be buying a couple second hand cars in the not too distant future, would be nice to know where I stood on potential purchases!

7. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

`86 jetta I've owned this car 19 years.

[​IMG]

ready for road rage...
    [​IMG]

2.0 block from A3 Golf GTI w/ original 1.8 head ported and polished.

Shrick 268 cam w/ adj cam sprocket, Timing advanced 8 degrees,
    Modified 16V ECU w/ custom programmed p-chip, balanced and blue printed fuel injection with BOSCH factory modified euro-spec intake,
    Modified airbox w/ custom intake duct, Custom made TRI-Y header, Techtonics hi-perf cat and mid-pipe (2.25") w/ stainless steel Scorpion muffler.

Custom built tranny w/ 394 ring pinion and VW Motorsport adjustable limited slip, Sachs sport clutch w/16V pressure plate, lightened flywheel.

BBS 15" x 8" rims with worn out Falken ZIEXs, I ran 13" x 6" BBS baby turbos with Hoosier 225/50/13s, ET33 offset when auto crossing. I did very well in EP & SM with this car.
    H&R race springs with Bilstein HD shocks

Front & rear Upper and lower sway bars. polyurethane suspension bushings, mintex brade pads with Brembo slotted rotors

Custom made race seats, custom roll bar has triangulated supports all the way to rear bumper. Interior rear gutted out, momo steering wheel, sci performance short shift kit, Hella blacked out headlight lenses and hella euro-spec tailights.
    Air fuel mixture gauge on dash.

8. Krikkit

The one I use is www.reliabilityindex.com - not a hard and fast rule, but it breaks down the data warrantydirect have on their cars. Always take with a pinch of salt etc, but sometimes a useful guide. :)
    Well colour me convinced - they've got the seal of approval from the Mrs too, so that's one to add to the stable.
    That's quite a spec - I've always liked Jettas of that era, looks fantastic. :D

9. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

me and the missus work vehicles
    [​IMG]

play thing
    [​IMG]

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Sweet! Rather you than me, when it come to taxing them all...:D

11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Just thought I'd be smug about the issue of Road Fund Licensing costs:

4.6L V8 Tax = £215 :)

I suspect from the number of cars, size of garden and garage, that jiswizard doesn't have many financial worries :)

Guest-44432 likes this.
  12. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Really? For 12 months?

I just paid £195 this month for 12 months...That's it! V8 next year for sure! :)

13. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

We should have a "Post your house and grounds" thread.

14. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Yep. Unofficial import. No euro-ratified CO2 figures, so a flat rate applies. This is just specific to unofficial imports... so don't go buying any V8 or you may get a shock :)

Definitely not. I hate gardening, so you can imagine what mine looks like! It's a whole new ecosystem... like Madagascar... things have evolved specific needs to survive there, so there's probably all manner of highly evolved, and possibly dangerous creatures. I'm leaving well alone. When the neighbours complain I'll just get some petrol, and a match.

Teelzebub and Guest-44432 like this.
  15. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

and my favourite which now lives somewhere in europe
    [​IMG]

16. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

Well, I'd be interested, but only if we have a "post your horse and manservant" thread to go with it.

Same deal as with old (pre-2001) cars, then? There's no CO2 figures, so the government just assumes "loads of CO2, but we can't prove it" and charges somewhere in the middle? Not sure even a modern V8 could get tax that low!

17. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Cheers Krikkit,

The car I'm considering isn't on there though, bummer!

EDIT: Wait, neither are any current models of anything!?

18. Krikkit

Generally not - manufacturers cover the first 3 years of a car's life, their products will only start on '09 cars at the earliest, which they won't have decent set data for yet.

19. Williz

Williz Minimodder

20. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

Just thought I would provide a bit of humour to this thread,I cant drive but if I could this is the car I would have it doesnt need fuel so its energy efficient and you cant get stopped for either speeding or running a red light. Oh yes before I forget its tax exempt also

[​IMG]

Teelzebub likes this.