1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

For the oil leaks I'd put money on valve covers or head gaskets. I see it all day long on those motors.

2. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

Thanks for the advice! We plan to find out what the check engine light relates to soon, luckily subaru have a really nice diagnosis system that means we don't have to pay for a man with a computer. It only comes on when run for a while it seems and as none of us are currently insured we can't get her that hot yet.

Oil leak isn't too bad at the moment, no drips on the drive but the sump gets wet when run. It was overfilled when we bought it so we are unsure whether that may have caused the leak or if someone was trying to compensate for the leak. Changed the oil and filter this weekend along with giving it a good wash and wax. We will be taking it slowly and thoroughly with this car.

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

That diagnosis system seems overly complex compared to my Saab, my check engine light comes on, I just turn to pos II and watch the light flash out a number. EASY!

4. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

5. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

My wife just turned in her 2012 CTS-V and got into a 2013 ATS with a 3.6l and AWD until her 2013 Corvette Z51 in built sometime in April.

[​IMG]

I'm still in my year old 3.7l 2WD Colorado and now a 1967 Pontiac Catalina 6.6l. And, yes, I do drive the Pontiac fairly regularly.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Mar 2013
  6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

wait... weren't you in south africa lol

7. Jumeira_Johnny

I was for 4 years. Then I was in Atlanta for 11 months, now I'm in Bowling Green Kentucky. yay. :|

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

That Pontiac looks great for a car that's nearly half a century old! What horsepower do you get from a 6.6 litre engine?

9. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

[​IMG]

Current ride for the next 9 months 2013 Mini Cooper with a ton of extras.

Last edited: 24 Mar 2013
  10. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

My first BMW, this was the Tester, mine arrives in a few weeks time, just counting the days :waah:

[​IMG]

11. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

What 3 series model are you getting?

12. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Not nearly as much as you'd think - somewhere between 265bhp (3-speed manual, regular petrol) and 325bhp (optional four-barrel carburetor) - so between 40 and 49bhp/l.

That's before the E.P.A. really got nasty with the emissions laws. A decade later, the 1976 Pontiac 400c.i. (6.6L) had 185bhp, or just 28bhp/l. (For reference, a Ford Capri (a European coupé, a similarly positioned equivalent of the American muscle car) of the same year got 54bhp/l.)

13. Jumeira_Johnny

True. I suspect given the age of the car, I'm not even getting the 290 it's rated at. GM was known for under rating it's engines though. And these motors are about torque, not HP. After the rebuild, and the small mods we have planned, we are shooting for 400hp and 500ft/lbs. That is easily doable.

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Thanks for the replies. I suspected that the bhp/l would be quite low, but given the engine size the overall bhp would be decent and the torque would be enormous :D

Would love to see some pics of the car once it's rebuilt.

15. Jumeira_Johnny

Given the size and weight of the car, the HP is actually streetable with a wider tire footprint. There is a build log started, and we are back from driving to my in laws for Easter so the brake and suspension work should start soon.

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

At its stock power is it slow ? I mean, with all that weight on ...

edit: I found a curb weight of 3900lb for the convertible version (although I don't know with which engine). Not nearly as heavy as I first thought

17. Jumeira_Johnny

Slow? not really, it will cruise at 70mph. But you have to keep that in perspective. The car is 47 years old, and was never a sports car to begin with.

Even with new suspension bits and an engine rebuilt, it will never be quick. We just want a cool cruiser that makes a lot of noise and smokes tires on occasion.

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Yeah I wouldn't expect it to be fast by any means but, for its power, I was wondering if it was deceptively quick (considering its size).

I think the last time I sat in a 70s car (let alone older than that) I was 4-5 and it was a Nova. The leather seats were so cold we had to sit on blankets. That's all I remember haha

19. Jumeira_Johnny

Honestly, it accelerates faster then you think. Which, given it's tires and brakes right now, is scary. Oh, and the steering. lol.

by the end of the summer I should have a better answer for you, since by then the actual power will be able to be controlled and put to the ground.

20. knuck

knuck Hate your face

hah, I can only imagine the steering :hehe: