1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

It's always nice to see people admiring your car when you're driving, and it's nice when they stop to ask questions about the work, where it was done and that they like it. Today I went to my brothers work to put in a subwoofer and amp into his truck, some idiot took a bone stock corvette (not sure on the year, newer though) and threw the zr1 decals on it, had the zr1 replica bodykit fitted and had the hood cut for the custom zr1 cutout. To make this even worse, he got a fake plastic zr1 motor cover to make it look more authentic. I realize its his car and he's free to do what he'd like with it, but it just reminds me of people with 1.4 SOHC honda's, lower it, slap a body kit on it and a tin can exhaust than treat it like a racing car. I think it does more harm than good.

2. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Oh wow, that's taking it too far IMO. I agree, it's their car, but still, they're being nothing but a poser. There's a lot of Camaro guys that take the ZL1 bumper and put it on their Camaro, which looks great, it's one of the best looking Camaro bumpers you can get, and that's fine. It's taking it that step further to actually badge your car like a higher performance car is just silly. Even sillier is when you start lying about it too. Which I'm sure that guy is doing, if you go that far, you know he's telling everyone and their mothers that he drives a ZR1 twice the cost of his base model corvette.

3. mansueto

Reminds me of the old early / mid 2000 mustangs, the cobra ones had the imprint in the rear bumper and the lip kit. We did a few of those too, and when they only do 1/2 the job to make the clone plus it's bone stock, it's a tad disappointing.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Can't stand people putting higher spec badges on their car. It's ridiculous. The only people that would understand what it was are the same people that'd know it wasn't.

Big fan of taking badges off, though.

Plotting to debadge my RS this weekend >.>

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's a crime too. It should be badged exactly how it originally was. :D

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Nooo :( The RS should remain badged, it is a nice badge after all. That's like taking the RS badge off a Clio RenaultSport 200. "Look, I've got a 200bhp Clio, but I took the badge off it so it looks like a 1.4 replica". Why would you do that?

I saw a red 2012 Fiesta with a Type-R badge on it a few weeks ago. Middle aged guy driving it. I was like "what is this?! I don't even..." :rolleyes:

7. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

There are a few 'Type-R' Beats around despite the fact that there were only ever two models and neither were 'Type-R'. Kinda hard to do a sports model anyway when the original is already at the maxium power allowed by law although I suppose they could not sell it as a Kei-car.

8. liratheal

When it comes to standard cars, sure, especially Ford with their eighty models that look the same, but performance cars.. The only people who care would know what it was without the badge anyway.

There's method to the debadging madness, though. The smaller RS door pillar badges are well known to pop off without a moments notice, and will run you into £30 for a replacement one (Which won't be new). Safer to take them off.

My rear RS badge the chrome finish has started flaking off, so it looks shite, and the Mk1 era "Focus" badge looks terrible IMO, and has also started flaking.

Krikkit - You'd get on with Clayton. RSOC registrar for the Mk1, his car is probably more "standard" than when it rolled off the line, in that everything is exactly as Ford intended.

Unicorn, we see a lot of that **** around here. I've seen clapped out old cars with Type-R (I've even seen ralliart on some cars that it shouldn't be on..) badges.. I don't think the current generation of spacker knows what it means..

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Now I'm not that well-up on these things but just make sure i've got these correct:

Type R/Mugen RR - Honda
    RS - Ford or Renault
    Ralliart - Mitsubishi ?
    Abarth - Fiat

10. Krikkit

Hmm, maybe not! I like my mods to be as sympathetic as possible, generally OEM+ at the very most. Cosmetic changes are generally restricted to a tasteful (or competition-appropriate) set of alloys and maybe small amounts of lowering.

e.g. A Lancia Delta non-Evo can have Compomotive TH's and -20mm to improve it. A Focus RS (imo) should retain its boot badge and have something similar to the OE alloys if replaced, e.g. CompMo 5's.

:)

11. Unicorn

Correct, Type-R can be on an Acura as well and then you have just the "R" for Volkswagen unless it's an R32 Golf :thumb: Unless it's a Nissan, that is, in which case R32 means something completely different, as does NISMO.

Didn't make that any less complicated, did I? :worried:

Last edited: 25 Jul 2013
  12. mansueto

My brother de-badged his tahoe, the only symbols on it are the chevy symbol's on the trunk and the grill, both which have been blacked out. He's removed the door guards and all that too so it's just nice and smooth! After he cleans it I'll take some pictures.

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

De-badge an RS! Might as well go buy the 1.4 3 door and give up. I know your RS is in sad shape, but no reason to make it worse.

14. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Sold my modded FN2 and bought this. 300bhp V6 that'll do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Unicorn

Did you post a pic of your FN2 all lit up inside a while back?

16. liratheal

I do like the comps. I'm tempted to get a set for the track tbh, so I can have regular tyres on the standards etc.

I'd never put bonnet vents in, though..

I don't see the point in badges. Joe bloggs behind me doesn't give a monkeys what it is, and anyone that does knows what it is anyway.. The noise and bumpers give it away!

If I ever went to show it I'd put the badges back on, but.. I just don't like 'em!

I was going to show a picture of an RS that the front bumper has been molested on, to fit a tall intercooler, and the numberplate looks rivited onto the corner, but I can't find it..

17. Unicorn

A million times this! OEM+ Cheesecake :thumb:

18. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I'm getting a serious itching to do something with my car.. Whilst trying to keep it as stock as possible. I've thought about getting something like these for it, and maybe some lowering springs. I have no idea though, like hell I want an exhaust on it though, having said that I might consider an air filter of some kind.

19. Unicorn

Mine is getting OEM 16's (Canasta) and Projector headlights ASAP. I decided the four main things which are detracting most from the look of it are the lack of mirror shine on the paint, the 15" alloys, the reflector headlights and the ride height. I've solved the first one of those already, the headlights and wheels will be done in good time, then if and when I can afford it, I'll stick it on a set of AP coilovers with some 20mm spacers all round.

I am trying really hard not to eat into the GT4 fund too much but I can't drive the Clio stock any longer, it's been over 3 years... it's time for some subtle changes.

20. Krikkit

What is it, exactly? As somewhat of a PSA critic I'm happy to offer my pessimistic services. :D

ETA: 95bhp in 1200kg isn't enough to justify spending things on pimping it. Just enjoy it and save some cash for something quicker if it bothers you. :)

My pimpwagon is out of action atm, the MOT is proving especially tricky this year! Emissions, a little rot around a chassis stiffening panel (damn underseal hiding the problem!) and some slightly corroded brake pipes. Sounds easy, but on a restricted budget everything seems to take forever! :(