1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

A wet day at Brands, but had lots of slippery fun!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Very nice! Track day?

I'd love to do a track day at Brands Hatch as it's not very far from me. :)

3. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Yeah, just an evening session, couple of hours.

4. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

5. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Those look awesome! Car is looking great, and I love the background too. :thumb:

6. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

lovely car glaeken,

isn't that one of the only cars in the world that officially scares the ^&^% out of every one.

:D

I would take a whole bunch of extra time to learn the character about keeping the rear under control at pace.

go at 50% > 80% and get comfortable with your changes about the feel at speed around corners then increase, don't just go flat out mate.

Any chance of a panorama when you get her on the track from the cockpit? Also Engine shots?

Will go and give a viper a try around Nordschleife in Assetto to see how deadly the back is.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsPp9lsX-9s

7. glaeken

Thanks :). Yeah these murals are pretty cool for car photos. It's in a pretty shady part of town though, so I was constantly looking over my shoulder the entire time. Got in and out as fast as possible.

Heh. It's quite scary on public roads if you're pushing it. But on the track it's great. Though this is only a gen 2. The Gen 4/5 have quite a bit more hp and torque.

Everyone is scared of no ABS and no traction control. My answer to that is the stop-tech BBK that it has, and the 355 rear tires :D. Just don't be dumb and mash the throttle out of turns. You can beat on it all day and drive it home.

I've been meaning to iracing to practice Sebring before I go in September. I didn't realize assetto had a viper though. Maybe I'll go with that one too.

I just got a new chinese gopro knockoff so I should have track day footage the next time I go. I'm still learning so it won't be anything impressive.

8. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

9. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Very nice car there. I love the pokey 2.5l 5 cylinder engine in them. I was tossing up between one of these or a mk6 golf gtd. In the end I've plumed for the better economy of the GTD. I pick it up on Sunday.

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

[​IMG]

Picked this up on 1st September but haven't had chance to take it out on a proper run until today. Was tossing up between this or a hot hatch along the lines of a Cupra or Golf R but decided I didn't really need all that power and I'd probably end up losing my licence or sticking it in a ditch.

It's a lovely smooth drive with the ZF8 gearbox and feels really planted and flat in the corners. This is the first rear wheel drive car I've owned and I have to say I love the power delivery and overall feel of it compared with FWD cars, don't think I will want to change back now! iDrive is awesome as well, especially with the professional nav that comes with the M sport trim on the 4 series.

11. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

That's gorgeous! :eeek:

First rear wheel for me aswell, absolutely loving it... going to end up fat though because i drive it to the shops just for an excuse to get in it :D

12. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

RWD = Right Wheel Drive - everyone knows that. XD

I am still on the (now 3 years old) GT86 of mine. Trying to source an aftermarket exhaust and air filter for it now, and it's turning into a pain...

Subaru South Africa (i.e. 1500km from here) gets GREAT (and notably VERY reasonably priced) exhausts by DeGraaf (as standard). These are worth ~7kw on the flywheel (apparently), which is in line with most good aftermarket cat-back systems.
    The deal between Subaru and DeGraaf is EXCLUSIVE, though, meaning that other DG dealers can't get the units.
    That leaves Subaru Namibia, who say "we have a price for them, and the price is reasonable, but our minimum order quantity on these is 5 units, so we can't get you one"...

Other than that, the Missus' Fiat Bravo sport recently got a new turbo, brakes, clutch, DMF... it's back to the fun 110kw it should be, but it IS showing age now (8 years old this year)... I am thinking of buying her something new, but JEEEES cars are rough here.
    Something that's a bit of fun AND a bit more practical than the GT86 is a hot hatch, but WOW they get steep. I am ready for suggestions.
    Here's some spec:

5 Door (that eliminates the otherwise perfect Fiesta ST).
    NOT ludicrously expensive
    Fun to drive
    Not a barge (anything saloon need not apply)

Considerations (so far):
    Golf GTI: Every second muppet here drives one. Either that or the (expensive) R Costs a LOT here, and even more to service (along the lines of 1.5x the 86)
    Focus ST1: Cheaper than the golf. Probably more excitment too. Still, if I told the wife what this costs, she'd scold me.
    BMW 140/240 M: WAY expensive. But SO nice.
    Audi A3: errrmm... no. I find Audis (and most VAG cars) about as exciting as lukewarm water. The wife is not different in that. It needs to be fun. The VERY quick S3 is ridiculously priced.
    Focus RS: this would be PERFECT. But with the arrival of this would come the serving of the divorce letters.
    Subaru Impreza WRX: SUPER steep here... and it'll always look at me and go "why not the STI?? - because that's BEYOND RS money"

Other thougths I had was buying something for me (I'd get more leeway in $$ if I bought for me, provided the wife gets the 86). However, I'd still be short of M2 money (and I REALLY want an M2), Porsche Cayman S, WRX STI, etc.
    and I am just not sure I am ready to do that just yet...

13. Strudul

Strudul ~

WRX is supposedly better than STI as a daily. Less power, but more comfortable.

You'll regret the WRX occasionally, but you'll regret the STI every time the road isn't perfectly smooth.

14. oasked

Order the Focus RS... go on.

I ordered one and the wife hasn't divorced me yet - but then again I've still got another 6 months before the car arrives (current best guess is Feb). ;)

Or you could get the Golf R - it's a fantastic car and there are some great deals on it available at the moment.

15. Strudul

Strudul ~

16. glaeken

Nice :). I used to have an ultra yellow 2005 z33. Loved that car.

17. Strudul

Strudul ~

GT4?

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I have come to pretty much the same conclusion here. Also, Subaru Namibia is good with Demo models (just for the record: second hand market here is screwed. You pay 2/3 of the new price and get NONE of the perks - but that's across all cars)... So while the wife has written this off as "OMG it's hideous" and "expensive", my feeling is that it's something I could get into driving as well. It has enough power, that's for sure.
    They're well specced from factory as well.

Does your wife KNOW you ordered the RS? Did you tell her what it cost? - maybe worth a mention here that our salaries in this end of the world are WAY down on yours, and cars cost roughly the same... so that skews the affordability a bit.
    I also heard that it's a bit very hard on the road (compared to the Golf R).

As for that (the R)... My dislike of all-things-VW is in my way a bit there... This comes from the year I owned a Mk.V GTI for... it just wasn't for me, and was ultimately only fun on the ragged edge, where you're going WAY fast, and anything that happens will have very serious repercussion... But I suppose letting the missus drive one is only fair.

I have decided that I'll look into this a bit more next year, once I am back from the (very expensive) europe trip over xmas, and a few things have hopefully settled a bit (currently some to-and-fro about my work situation, etc)

19. oasked

Haha, yes she does.

No point in ordering something you can't afford - like you say, your current car is great fun. I'd love to have a go in a GT86 / BRZ (but oddly they're far too expensive IMO for what they are - £25k, when the Focus RS is £30k). Enjoy that - and if you've got some spare cash you could always modify it.

I've been trundling around in cheap hand-me-down superminis for years, so I figured it was time for a bit of an upgrade as the finances (currently) allow :)

20. glaeken

Unfortunately, no. Nor an anniversary model :-/.

If you're ever looking for an aftermarket exhaust, the motordyne sounds fantastic.