1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you look for in a Case?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by my58vw, 1 Aug 2004.

?

What factor is most important in choosing a new case

1. Modability of the Case (is their possibilities to mod)

55 vote(s)
    25.9%
  2. Premodded features

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Expandability (bays, internal)

24 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Construction material and quality

49 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. Size (SFF, mid or full tower)

27 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. Contest Stipulations (Rules of a contest)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  7. Brand, Make, Model of Case

8 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. Cooling options, 80 mm vs 120 mm, number of fans, WCing

26 vote(s)
    12.3%
  9. Powersupply that comes with the case

4 vote(s)
    1.9%
  10. Other

13 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

i agree with froggy on the Xaser 3, thats why i want....there isnt a drooling emotion, damn it! :hehe:

2. ~Nitro

~Nitro What's a Dremel?

price, price, price, price, umm price, silver, little chrome, aluminium, oh and it has to be an ANTEC SUPER LANBOY THAT HAS A FEW GREEN NEONS/ FANS ECT

umm did i mention the price?

\\nitro out

3. MRKIKKOMAN5645

MRKIKKOMAN5645 What's a Dremel?

i say size and bays... i have modded many cases and most times the more area u have to work with the more mods u can do to the case and bays are always a need u want enough for all yr **** but not too many that u cant do and mods in the front

4. danmagicman7

danmagicman7 What's a Dremel?

Construction, definately. That allows for future modding :D.
    Whoever puts down Premodded i shall get out the whapping stick and whap you lol. MOD IT YOURSELF. You come to a modding site and want premodded stuff? Hmm. Thats why i hate the Xaser 3. Some people like it though, it looks nice...sortof...but if you do it yourself you get this pride that comes along with your case. If i bought zap wizard's ammo box, it would be premodded to me. I would have no pride. If i modded something myself, I have pride. Ok, off the soap box for me.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2004
  5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Agreed. Any thermaltake case for that matter, but especially that one. Of course the term premodded always means something different from person to person as well...

Regarding LL cases, I love them for the excellent build quality, moddability, space (think v2000 series) and they just have a good name to back one up. If you slip and mess up the case then you weren't using (enough) masking tape so shame on you.

Not that my LL is especially modded... window, top handle, top blowhole... did I mention I go for mostly functionality? Those mnpctech heavy duty handles really are heavy duty, I just wish I installed it 90 degrees from how I did now (I use one centermounted handle instead of one on either end so my arm is at an akward angle carrying it at my side). It used to have incredible cable management but I added a bunch of stuff and don't have the PSU parts to do it how I want right now anyways (and I use all 9 5.25" drive bays of my 6077 so there are a lot of wires to begin with). I'm saving my modding for my next case anyways.

6. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Your PSU copes with having nine IDE devices running at once?

or is that including all the extras like switch panel, port extensions etc...?

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Oh god no.
    Two bays are a 4x20 CF LCD display
    DVD burner
    Hotswappable SATA HDD mobile rack
    two raptors in zalman heatpipe coolers/silencers, and my power/reset/lights thinger
    dvdrom
    6-in-1 LL card reader in a 3.5" to 5.25" converter
    audigy front panel

Not that I'd have either the need or the motherboard ports for 9 5.25" IDE drives. Even still, they don't use a huge amount of power and if you're using more than two optical drives at once then you had better be a network CD server of some sort.
    But I'm sure my PSU could handle quite a bit more than what it has, and it's only a 350 watter. It's all in the build quality. /me loves SilenX... I really should get around to popping in that 460w noiseless SilenX one too. But the cables are SO hideously long... (ATX line must be well over two feet long, longest molex line a good 3 feet plus)

8. Vazzini42

Vazzini42 What's a Dremel?

9. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Top priority for me is cooling potential, otherwise I end up with a case looking like swiss cheese crossed with a jet engine after a play with the hole saw! After that I look for size and modability.

10. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

i voted for quality and materials ... mainly because i have a lian li.

ive had it for over 2 years now, and have modded it quite a bit, and have even more planned. if you are worried about cutting up a lian li or coolermaster, or any other expensive case, you should be cutting from the back anyway, and using lots of masking tape.

i could have voted for size, or expansion bays, or brand name, or moddability, or even cooling options cause they all fit as far as i amm concerned, but material/build quality is most important.

i think that people that dog expensive cases would change thier minds after working on one for a while ... i cant stand cheap flimsy generic cases that cut your hands up and wiggle and wobble every time you eject a dvd ...

</rant>

11. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Now thats a hard one! I plumped for size as that probably the first thing i think about when i want a new case (ie huge for server/small for lanbox).

The only thing on that list i dont care about is the psu (unless you count not having one as caring)

Also its important its NOT premodded or thermaltake as they are tacky as hell! :p

Value is probably the 2nd most important. Lian li just dont cut it in that dept.! (but i guess value includes all those factors)

12. godspeed

godspeed Banned

fuction over form

13. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

lol unfortunate spelling mistake

14. godspeed

godspeed Banned

sorry im sleepy but i can't sleep

15. TITAN

TITAN What's a Dremel?

Used to be modabilty years ago, but I'm old now and ya gots to get your money's worth.
    I voted "Construction material and quality" :D

16. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

what about cost? I got my case for my current mod for free :D

17. omicron

omicron Baud.

Size, moddability (so cooling doesnt matter really :)), construction & reliability. That's where the name comes in.

18. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I'd have to go for other -

access.

It's all about the access for me. I love to switch parts out, change things around, and tweak my system. I want good, clean access to my CMOS jumper, my AGP slot, my drives, etc. I also do a lot of hard-drive saving for friends, so my options are to develop a hot-swap bay (pain in the @$$) or pay way too much for one. And since I like mid to small cases personally (though who doesn't love to mod an old server?!), the case needs to primarily be designed with this idea in mind...

...because nothing sucks more than having to turn your hand 15 ways, get it scraped and bitten, and accidentally knock your HSF off pulling out a molex connector on an inconvenient hard drive.

19. Morphious

Morphious What's a Dremel?

Cooling, quality, astetics, modability, and mobility.

20. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

P160 hard drive mounting :D