1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays What do you think of this monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrisb2e9, 29 Dec 2008.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Should be okay, as long as you're not too concerned about colour fidelity and viewing angles. Unfortunately, TN panels still exhibit viewing angle deficiencies (i.e. sit up from your chair and the screen washes out).

3. chrisb2e9

So this is a Tn panel? all the sites that sell it have it listed as a "tft active matrix" which is slightly misleading.

4. kenco_uk

Aye, it's TN. You can normally tell with the response time being so low and the viewing angles being less than 170 degrees. Link

Here's a review by TR

5. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

It's a Samsung. I'd say there was no catch. How often are you going to sit up from your chair and still require perfect quality colours for the 2 seconds you're still looking at it before you walk off?

Dammit, I wish I had one of those monitors ;)
    However, could be worth going a size or two up and getting full HD resolution (1920x1080)

6. chrisb2e9

thanks for the link for the hardware info site. Gave me all the info I was looking for.
    Except for one thing. Color, specifically is it an 8 bit or a 6 bit panel. Or are all tn panels 6 bit?
    The monitor I have now is a 6 bit and I can see the dithering in games. drives me nuts. Crysis is really bad for it as is far cry 2.

thats really one of the biggest things for me, that my next monitor is an 8bit one.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Samsung panels gives you (in my opinion) the best of all worlds (view-angle, colors, quality...) for the price. However, if you want my honest opinion, I say get one without a glossy frame. Why? Glossy frames is easy to scratch, and the scratches are easy to see, especially in a bright room. Moreover, light reflection on the frame could be detracting. Moreover, I am all for comfort, so I would go with the stand that is high-adjustable, and just for kicks (on the way) one that rotates on it self so that you can change the view from landscape to portrait.

Check out this one, this is a 22inch thus, but I am sure you can find the 20inch model somewhere.
    Samsung 2243BW. It's at NCIX web site for 295.00$.
    So for a few dollars more you have it bigger (still 1600x1024) at 22inch, non glossy screen or frame, and fully adjustable screen. I don't know if it's 6 or 8 bit. My guess is 8.

8. kenco_uk

I think all TN panels are 6-bit with dithering. Which is why they don't handle gradations very well (it's up to the magic fairy dust in the chips powering the screen as to how well it can dither).

9. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

i'd say go get it, its a awesome monitor from what i've read. colleague at work has one but the 22inch version which he says is awesome, uses it for his PC and xbox360
    read a few reviews and alot of users feedback on said monitor and its ace, only draw back imo is no height adjustment but its sucha sexi displayu that more then makes up for it
    I was going to buy it but decided to go 22inch 1080p

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

ah! that's why Homeworld 2 looks shite on my TN 22inch. it looks fantastic on my 19inch CRT.

the Samsung T240 monitor is the one i was going to get. from replays on T200, seems like it is respectable.

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah skip 1680x go to 1080p monitor if your buying new.. there's really not much difference between the two performance wise with the newer cards.. maybe a few frames tops

12. Denis_iii

that monitor is awesome, my first choice but to dear for me, that why interested in 150quid 22inch 1080 pc monitor

13. chrisb2e9

I took a look at the t240, it is a nice monitor but I only have a 4850 and I dont want to go too big. I can afford to get a nice new monitor but not a nice new monitor and a nice new video card.
    I'll see if I can find a t200 in store to take a look at. my biggest mistake with my last monitor was going by only the numbers and not finding one to actually look at first.

14. Denis_iii

15. kenco_uk

Read 'Thermallator's' take on the monitor on that page - what a noob.

Looks nice. After having a Dell 2005fpw with a s-ips panel and now a Yuraku 24" with a p-mva panel, I couldn't go back to TN. My father-in-law has a 22" Samsung TN panel and whilst the viewing angles are very good, the dithering is astonishingly bad.

16. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

QFT! ROFL! He's kinda behind of time... :rolleyes:

17. Denis_iii

what do you think of that Yuraka? Had my eye onit awhile back. My monitor history is 14inch crt, then 17inch benq krap crt and now 2year old 17inch laptop so any recent LCD whatever panel will be wow to me

18. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Just to clarify once more: all LCDs are "TFT active matrix". That tells you absolutely nothing about the panel used. It's been said several times in this thread already, but (DS)TN panels are fast, but lack severely in the colour department (6 bit + 2 bit dithering) as well as having lousy viewing angles. If while looking at a widescreen TN panel you move your head slightly you will immediately see the image change.

Go for a good monitor with an xVA (PVA/MVA) or IPS panel. It's well worth the extra bit of cash. Remember, you have to look at the screen for some time to come (depending on the "life span" of your monitor).

19. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'm not sure "Thermallator" has ever looked at his LCD. If so he/she/it would know that LCDs are "hold type" panels, which are completely unable to flicker (unless they're connected through analogue VGA and badly phase-aligned). :)

20. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump