1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics What do YOU want?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by macroman, 3 May 2002.

1. linear

linear Minimodder

36W is 3A @ 12V, that is one serious fan.

I would suggest that there are voltage regulators that are dropin replacements for the LM317 but are rated for 3A. Problem will be heatsinking the regulator.

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/reg.html for some more details, but consider something like a LM350 for your regulator instead. At 3A you'll be operating it pretty close to its rating.

2. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

Thanks for the quick reply. the fan I'm planning on getting is I think one of the most powerful 120mm fans available.

You can see it here http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Delta_Fans_58.html (bottom of the page, also there is a link to a PDF file with full specs of the fan).

So do you think a simple swap of the voltage regulator would be the answer then?

I'm a little uncertain, and don't want to risk blowing up the fanbus!

BTW. I made a mistake the fan is 24W not 36, Hope tis helps!

Thanks

Last edited: 13 Jan 2003
  3. return0

return0 What's a Dremel?

Hi there. First of all, im not that good in English but ill try to make my idea clear to you guys. So what i want to have is a Bright Flashing Led with a Afterglow. I thougt of an NE555 for the "timegiving" and a condensator for the afterglow... I want to bright led really to be hell bright for 1 millisecond and then it should pass out nicely slow... i d need a circuit plan plz:D

4. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

This should do the trick:

[​IMG]

The switch switches between CONSTANT and ON/FADE/OFF

5. return0

return0 What's a Dremel?

w00w thx Dude ! :rock: but what are the pin numbers of the ne555? What ist the SPEED VR1 kind of thing? Does the Led restart after the on Fade of? I want to have a bit of an Overclocked Led Flash, do i get one with this circuit?

thx anyways

6. acrimonious

You can find the pin-outs in any decent electronics catalog; but i will help you if you like. VR1 is a VARIABLE RESISTOR.

The LED comes ON. WAITS ON. FADES. WAITS OFF.ON. WAITS ON. FADES. WAITS OFF.ON. WAITS ON. FADES. WAITS OFF.ON. WAITS ON. FADES. WAITS OFF.ON. WAITS ON. FADES. WAITS OFF.ON. WAITS ON. FADES. WAITS OFF.ON. WAITS ON. FADES. WAITS OFF.ON. WAITS ON. FADES. WAITS OFF. etc

7. return0

return0 What's a Dremel?

HM how long will it stay on? It should just flash up for a millisecond an then fade out ... but looks good so far, ill post here if i mange to solder one of these

8. Arcana

Arcana What's a Dremel?

I'd like to see some kind of solution to displaying HDD activity (from mobo, not pin39) and NIC Activity. Something that uses LED's in a creative way...my current idea involves two logo's on my computer case built sorta liek the chromed macro black logo with both normally backlit red, yet they swap to yellow with HDD activity on one, and NIC activity on the other...So far, cpemma has created the perfect circuit I think...I'll be building it as soon as my parts come in...but I'd love to see more ideas.

9. acrimonious

It stays on for a 5-10 seconds i think; but if you adjust VR1 you can change it from 1 millisecond to 30 seconds or longer.

10. return0

return0 What's a Dremel?

so vr1 d be a 50k ohm trim poti?

11. acrimonious

12. return0

return0 What's a Dremel?

what transistor do i have to use?

13. Tygah

Tygah What's a Dremel?

What about a combination rheobus and transfer panel? 2 or 3 rheostats, 2 USB ports, and the 3 audio jacks (line in, line out, microphone).

Sort of like the Vantec Nexus NXP-101. But I don't need the temperature display, and I want more than one rheostat.

14. Johnny_Do

Johnny_Do What's a Dremel?

- i like the idea of a 5 band or 7 band led spectrum analizer <sp?> both for my computer and my car stereo

- schematic for an intverter for ccfl lights and el strips etc so i can make my own pcb ... and maybe suggesions on how to reduce the noise from the inverter as they are offten very loud.

- random led's lighting up say 6 - 12 in total that will randomly run at a random duty cycle. ie if i was to etch a flam job in a peice of plexi and use red, orange, yellow led's and have them make the flame job look liek fire ... but remember all led's light up at random times and for random duty cycle so it's not just a 555 chip flashing a few led's on adn off at a steady pace - boring

- led mod for sub woofers, a way that when the sub gets used turn a led on ... and at a varriable brightness ie sound sensitive or running a transister off of the audio wire of the sub itelf so if it's low volume then dim led, lud then bright led with pot to adjust how sensitive as we all have the sub at differetn volumes

- led activity but more complex .. reads both read and write activity on seperate led bar graphs.

- ni activity but for send/receive & USB send and receive. I'd guess i can use the same hd activity meter you have done and adjust the pots for each of these ... well for the nic anyways .. but the usb i have no idea.

- is it possible to read the cpu utilization withouth interfacing via serial or parrelel ??? like running a single strand of cable to a pin on the cpu for the irq that the cpu is n use and use the same circut that the hd activity meter uses ??? hummm ...

- digital 7 segment readout of cpu usage (added idea to previous)

- scrolling banner of text on computer "born to be L33T !" for example useing alpha numeric lcd displays say 5 - 9 segments long

- touch sensitive keyboard .. ie useing that capasitive ic chip to make a gamers keypad that is a cross between teh bit-tech mousemat and the kingston n50 (or whatever the name is) game pad .. kinda liek "The Claw" but with glass or plexie and touch sensite .. so it'll have to interface with keyboard via pass through port and output keyboard signals so computer thinks it's a real kayboard pressing the read keys

- use a graphic lcd display as a ossiciscope as a mod in front of your computer or even just a normal power supply .. i know there is software that makes your sound card into a scope .. but i mean a stand alone unit useing a graphic lcd display same size as say twice the width as a normale gamboy.

- water level metere useing bargraph for water cooling systems useing distilled water .. ie non conductive

that is all i can think of top of my head

15. Johnny_Do

Johnny_Do What's a Dremel?

oh yeah .. a dc - dc converter to run a atx motherboard from a car

16. Jordanis3r

Jordanis3r Jigsaw Master

I could really do with something to turn my pc both on and off, and control a lightbus - either by infa red or movement sensor - ie a remote to turn all the pretty lights on - and movement switches so i can wave my hand in front of my dvd player in my comp to open / close the drawer - i have'nt the foggeist where to start!

17. macroman

macroman The One

I have been working on something along those lines - the problem is preventing false triggering. e.g. stopping the drive from openning when you stand up etc. But something should be appearing in the future ;)

18. Jordanis3r

Jordanis3r Jigsaw Master

excellant - cheers macro !

19. Mhiran

Mhiran What's a Dremel?

Due to the lack of Kits that Velleman have made, I would really like a circuit that controls a big array of LEDs in a big VU meter. Just like the one in Project Anemone.

Edit: Damn! Just read the post 5 up from mine!

20. T[H]umper

T[H]umper What's a Dremel?

How about the schematic for the (Discontinued) Velleman 10 band VU Meters Mashie used in Anemone.

Edit: I must be a retard.